1998 Ford Taurus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1998 Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Sort Reviews by

Simply a Great Car!
By dtstreky

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 98 Taurs back in February of this year, at first I wasn't too keen on the styling but with time I warmed up to it. Other then that I find that the acceleration and handeling are superior for a car of this class. Braking could be better, and body roll is a bit excessive at times. Otherwise all I have done is changed the oil and put soem new brake shoes on the back. Hope to keep for another year or so before upgrading to something in the SUV category.

Favorite Features

Acceleration & handeling

Suggested Improvements

In-dash 6 cd player, more comfortable seats, smoother transmission shifting.

Great Road Car
By Mr. Mo

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car, especially as a road or touring car. The car feels glued to the road. It has been a one owner car initially used for my sales job. The gas mileage has been excellent 35 mpg highway/28 mpg city. I have servied this car every 3000 miles and it remains in great working condition. Black exterior and grey interior.

Favorite Features

Sun Roof, Handling on the road at higher freeway speeds, DOHC engine

Suggested Improvements

Could add alloy wheels, superior sound system.

Totally Taurus
By Shissy

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I take my Taurus through rain, snow, shine, and etc. I really like the performance quality and especially the 5 star safety rating.

Favorite Features

The break system and the safety rating!

Suggested Improvements

None

98 Taurus - more than just a Hertz renta
By Ray Bennett

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Taurus has seen an unusual combination of highway and city mileage since I bought it (new). The V6 has plenty of pick up and it cruises nicely. The ride is above average, although there is less road noise in the newer models (I travel and rent a lot). ONLY problem has been that once I changed the factory brakes, we went through pads like crazy. Just went back to factory, and now its fine. The paint wears well, and the vehicle, when clean, always surprises me with that "new" look. 75,000 miles and counting. Handles well, with just a touch of body roll - but keeping good tires on it keeps it fun to drive.

Favorite Features

6-CD changer in the trunk was a real bonus in 98. Also, the AC is exceptionally good and doesn't appear to load the engine at all.

Suggested Improvements

An "overdrive off" button for downhills. A slightly greater range of motion (more amplitude in every direction) on the power drivers seat. A more friendly location for the oil filter.

Great Car
By Baldone

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 4 years now and love it. Great ride, roomy, smooth, great fuel consumption for a large car on the highway. The only problem is the front brakes. I had to replace them at 20000 miles due to warping. I changed them to Power stop cross cut drilled rotors with 911 brake pads and have been happy ever since. I actually stop better now than before. I also added goodyear eagle ga h rated tires and found the ride bumpier but the handling improve greatly. If you want the smooth ride of a touring car, don't add performance tires. All in all though, I love the car and am going to keep it for many years to come.

Favorite Features

Roomy, with no problems. Easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Beamer for Beer Money
By Tekkie79

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Good for those of us who want a good performing sedan but don't want to put out all the money for a real one. Had very few problems but it would've been expensive to repair had it not been for the warranty. The leather is horrible.

Favorite Features

Underbody effects, dual oval exhaust, quiet engine at low revs... roars in high revs... likes to move. The ultimate family car with ball$

Suggested Improvements

Needs a real radio, can't install one and almost impossible to add components. Spoiler is "different" could have been more sporty. Turning circle is WAY too big for a sports sedan

Best Car Ever
By Josh K.

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 98 SE Touras (salvaged title) and i just love it. I just put blue headlamps in and thier the best ever i love the oval lights, i want to buy rims , and i just bought a spoiler (SHO spoiler) i just bought proformace exhust tips it added 16 HP! i also added a "Ford Racing" sticker under my hood that makes your car look more stylish.i added a KOSS CD Changer to my car audio, however there is no bass, but they still rock, i love my oval dash too! The Tranny still runs without a 50,00 mile flush!!!!!

Favorite Features

Sleek Oval Shape! Powered Attennea Transmission My RADIO My Powed windows Head lights Cloth Seats 24V Duratech Motor!!!, And ALL THE HORSES THAT THIS BAD RACE CAR HAS!!! EVERYTHING

Suggested Improvements

Use "MOBIL 1" motor oil instead of "Trop Artc"

Junk Transmission
By Frank735

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Nice engine, terrible transmission. I have had aproblem with the trans since day one. Dealer said it was fine and now it has to be replaced. 88K and a new trans? The rest of the car is fine, basic transportation, no frills, no thrills. I almost forgot the power steering goes out after extended highway driving. Dealer comment "We can't see anything wrong". Ha!

Favorite Features

Until recently it took me where I needed to go without a problem. Radio comes in strong, ac and heat work fine.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission.

Should have went GM
By Corey R

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I just purchesed a 98 Ford Tauras 3 months ago, and i just hate it, their are no special options like a GM product would have at this price range. I have a tip for Ford, completly re-design that POS tauras.

Favorite Features

HA! is this a joke?

Suggested Improvements

-Re-Design with no questions asked -Add some features like a GM product

Good Value
By cpuuri

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This is my wife's car but I do most of the driving. Overall it has been a good value (paid less than invoice). Although, we have had a couple of problems with it: seal around the oil pan leaked at under 10k; and switch for dome lights, door ajar sensor, and automatic door lock at 5 mph tends to stick. The fit and finish of the interior is cheap, and the leg room for the driver is limited by the wheel well (not a car for tall people!). It also lacks insulation from engine noise.

Favorite Features

split-fold down rear seats, engine acceleration, comfort of seats

Suggested Improvements

increase driver leg room, put the door light switch back on the outside, and invest a little more in fit and finish