1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Transmission is a criminal offense!!!
By saxophobe on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

We purchased our 98 Ford Taurus because it got such a good rating on the Edmunds and Consumer Reports sites. This car was reportedly owned by someone that worked at the dealership and only had 40 K on the odometer. At 81 K, our transmission failed and we had to get it rebuilt to the tune of $2700!!! This was for a car we were still paying on and had < 100 K miles?!?! Ford wouldn't do anything about it either. If you buy one, get the extended warranty.

Been a good car
By mbistoocool on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

No major repairs since new now has over 77 thousand miles. 24V engine is very nice. Only a few things about the car that needs addressed. First of all the transmission, since day one, when you put the pedal down to pass someone the transmission is like "What?" and seems confused as whether to downshift or remain in the same gear. Then it jerks after it figures out what to do and finally downshifts. Secondly, it takes about 10 minutes upon initial startup before botton on the gear shift lever will push in. Lastly the bubble design makes rear head room tight and the trunk small. Other than these issues it has been a great car.

Awesome Car For the Price
By Chris P on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased a Ford Taurus SE Fully Loaded with 76k miles for $6,000. The dealer replaces the front breaks and preformed an allignment. Have had the car sence september and have had zero problems. Just put new tires on it and it handles well and the breaks are right there. Cupholders are convenient, along with the remote trunk release and locks, stereo sounds great for a stock stereo. Handles great in the snow, and starts everytime in these new york winters. Trunk space is amazing, and teh car has a very unique look. Dont expect a Mercedes or Lexus when you buy a $6,000 Ford.

You get the most for your money
By jenchin76403 on 11/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Though i purchased this vehicle used, i'm pleased to say that so far, everything is well. Comfort level is great, i actually look forward to driving whenever possible.

it's ok
By Prosperousblkman2006 on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

well it's ok except for my 94 had a bad transmission so im really not to sure about this 1 well it's a pretty good damn ride

Excellent Car for the Money
By sboulet on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Aside for some finicky shifting and having to replace the rear rotors, I have found the Taurus an execellent car which has provided me with 50k+ miles of near carefree driving.

lemon
By Browns on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I have a '98 Ford Taurus that I have put over $2k in already! I just found out that the head gaskets need to be replaced which would run me another $1k! For only having 62,000 miles on my car, I shouldn't be having this many problems. I am very unhappy with the quality of this vehicle!

A Dependable Ride
By jiffland on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Just purchased the taurus, but compared to other vehicles of it's class it is a very smooth ride, no major problems, but watch the door ajar switch, Ford is aware of the problem. Feels like you are in a more pricey car, nice pickup, no real hesitation, holds the road great.

My 1998 Taurus
By BGRAY on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

The kids and I enjoy long drives on the weekends in the Rocky Mountains. There is plenty of room for all of us and a few friends. The Taurus hugs those mountain curves with no problem and the engine is up to the challenge of the hills.

great car
By cecil on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

very nice car to drive one of the best cars ford ever came out with