1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Terrible!!!
By NeverbuyaFORD on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I purchased this car with 32,000 miles on it. Ever since the day I bought it, it has been nothing but a headache. In one years time, it has been in the service shop approximately eleven times. It has had the engine block replaced, the steering, the brakes, and it is still leaking oil today. The car was terrible. The dealership is terrible and I had to hire a lawyer just to get it fixed properly, which it still is not.

love it
By rma672 on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

My '98 taurus is my first new to me car, and i love it. Bought it with 57000 miles on it, and just turned 68000 miles with no major problems. The only things that have gone wrong, is that my day time running lights went and my power locks were a little weird. Overall i love it, its a great car, very dependable and lots of power for just the 3.0 v6.

Very pleased customer
By Joe Chez on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Pretty fast for a sedan. Handles really well and an overall fun car to drive. The depreciation of the car is definitely in the buyers favor. This car was 30,000+ new and I bought the car for only 10,000 three years later.

Not Just for Grandma
By nelsondigging on 06/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

After we bought this vehicle, we saw plenty of them on the road---being driven by cute little old ladies. We are in our 20's with two children, and have gotten great use out of our Taurus. We live in a small town, and the majority of the miles are from highway driving. It has enough power to pass easily, and gets up and goes when we need it to. We have never had any mechanical problems, and will really miss it when the time comes to sell.

taurus
By crichtn on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Best handling North American car in quite a while. Solid feel throughout cornering and braking, while maintaining a plush ride on the highway.

Please Take My Wagon
By MO on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

The curved rear doors are nice to look at on the outside, however dealing with children in car seats is a "head bumping" problem. The seat belts for rear seats jam constantly and we have to take the side panel off to fix this. Transmission is also starting to slip (a typical Ford) as I have been told. Power, even with the 6.0 is not enough to get you onto the highway quickly enough. All seats are hard and uncompfortable and the third seat is an oven - no A/C past the front row. Interior rattles are a norm.

By PCCOPP on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my car in 1999 as a "Program" car - Hertz Rental Car return. I got it with 23K miles on it. (surprised that a rental had 23K in one year). Taurus is versatile. I like splitting the rear seat and running to Home Depot for 2 x 4's I purchased the car for $11.5K and felt it was a value to get a one year old full size/fully loaded car, with two years /12K of bumper to bumper warranty. The Dual Air Bags/ABS sold me. Car is dependable. No trany problems My coolant tank just cracked and my mechanic told me that this is common for Tauruses as a bad design. I am replacing myself and the dealer sells part for $32.00.

My first American-made car.
By cg3 on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Owned only sports-imports until being practical arrived in the form of my first and only child. I wanted a car with excellent safety ratings with strong reliability, low incidence of repairs, and affordability. The Ford Taurus seemed to fit the requirements. Overall, very pleased with two exceptions. The console between the bucket seats has always seemed as though it was an add on feature. Rattles, plastic, cheap. The other very disappointing feature is the body molding around the doors and windows are evidently a feature of compromised value, discoloring and spotting. Tried everything to protect it, restore it. Very disappointing.

car
By fgs on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

the vehical has been reliable, now has 83000 miles on it. only problem has been the check engine lite, which used to bother me , but i have had it on for the last 25000 miles, and it has not affected the driving or mileage.

NEEDS A BETTER TRANNY
By jwwi715 on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

My girlfriend and I bought to car with 61,000 miles and the tranny was gone by 64,000 cost $1,100 fix to much for repairs on 98 car with 64,000 miles. I get scared to pass at times because I don't know if it's going to shift right. Something you should not half to worry about in a car that has the power of the DURATECH V-6.