Used 1998 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

'98 Taurus SE - White
By Roadie

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this Taurus (used), I was looking for one that was pretty well equipped and reasonably low miles. I found this Taurus in Sept. 2001 as a "certified" vehicle with 33,000 miles on it and have been very happy with the car. This car has all available options except leather seats. The power moon roof is probably my favorite option, although the 200hp v6 Vortech engine option was a main selling point of the car ... the additional power was a must for me. The car drives and handles nicely and the mileage currently is at 27mpg! I maintain the car regularly at the recommended intervals and have not experienced any of the transmission woes of other owners.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, quick acceleration with the DOHC v6, power seats, climate control, 6 disk CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes. Front rotors have a tendency to wear quickly and warp.

Ford Taurus
By steve

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This has been a fairly reliable car. Used it mostly over the road. I did have to replace brake rotors at 50,000 miles and just had those replacements turned at 175,000. Does use oil 1 quart every 800 miles; started using somewhere around 160,000 to 170,000. Had some overheating problems. I also replaced ujoints at 120,000. Some minimal electrical problems. I get anywhere between 23 to 25 miles per gallon consistently; drive mostly 75 on interstate. For the money I paid for the car it has been a great car. I am shooting for 250,000 to 300,000 miles. The ride is not the greatest; is a bit on the rough side.

Favorite Features

Cheap cars at a year or two old.

Suggested Improvements

The ride and brakes.

Electrical Gremlins
By Tc99

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Way too many electrical gremlins to list. (Well, let's try anyway: daytime running lights that won't shut off without pulling a fuse, headlights that go from dim to bright at random, electric windows that randomly work, dome light that goes on and off at random, trunk light that goes on and off at random, power locks that suddenly lock or unlock at random....). Transmission is starting to go at 100K miles - at least it has lasted longer than average. Gas mileage stinks - 15 city, 16 highway. Engine knocks badly on regular unleaded. The cupholders won't hold your cup going around corners.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive, equipment laid out in easy to use and understand manner. Decent road manners. Lots of trunk room.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders that won't dump your drinks going around corners. Rear cupholders. Rear a/c and heat.

All mighty Taurus
By Mike Pagone

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

The car has been very good so far. I only had minor problems. Since it does have 90,000 miles this is normal for any car. It rides great and it is by far the most comfortable car i have ever driven. The only thing I can't stand about the car is the inaccurate fuel gauge. It seems to never tell me the right amount of fuel I have.

Favorite Features

The roominess of the inside. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas gauge. Mine jumps all over the place and when I have a quarter of a tank left the meter jumps down to empty; however I usually get about 100 additional miles.

Mixed Feelings
By radiosonicfan

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

It is a good vehicle. Very comfortable except like many others I had to get my transmission rebuilt at about 100K. I like the car but I didn't expect replacing the alternator and starter within the first 3 years. I continue to own the car and currently have 130K on it. I expect to own the car for some time.