Used 1998 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

All mighty Taurus
By Mike Pagone

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

The car has been very good so far. I only had minor problems. Since it does have 90,000 miles this is normal for any car. It rides great and it is by far the most comfortable car i have ever driven. The only thing I can't stand about the car is the inaccurate fuel gauge. It seems to never tell me the right amount of fuel I have.

The roominess of the inside. Very reliable.

Better gas gauge. Mine jumps all over the place and when I have a quarter of a tank left the meter jumps down to empty; however I usually get about 100 additional miles.

Mixed Feelings
By radiosonicfan

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

It is a good vehicle. Very comfortable except like many others I had to get my transmission rebuilt at about 100K. I like the car but I didn't expect replacing the alternator and starter within the first 3 years. I continue to own the car and currently have 130K on it. I expect to own the car for some time.

Great Car
By Dave

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car. It never missed a lick. Only replaced battery once, regular maintenance, changed brakes. This engine is great with great response. Average 25 MPG. The car will be missed.

Engine, and nice ride.

Too bad they are getting rid of the Taurus.

Won't buy another Ford
By PQD

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car (bought new in 1998) has had many things go wrong at a lower mileage than it should, e.g., transmission replaced at 63,000 miles; rear brakes at 70,000; front brakes, struts, and a "rotted plug" for the coolant at 87,000 miles (the latter required a major amount of labor, though the part was small). My husband has a 1 year older Honda Accord with about 35,000 more miles on it which has had almost nothing expensive needing replacing. We usually buy cars new, keep them maintained, and drive them until they drop, generally well over 100-150,000 miles. Given how much I've already spent on this Taurus, I think I'll trade it for a more reliable "foreign" car before anything else goes wrong!

Interior is roomy and comfortable; we like the option of putting up the armrest to accommodate a 3rd person in front. Drives well, and is reasonable on gas mileage for its size.

Transmission should not have had to be replaced at such a low mileage. Other reviews also noted transmission problems. Need improvements in all aspects of overall mechanical reliability. Not a trustworthy car at higher mileage.

Junk
By Quality is job 1

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned and I have had a lot of $25 cars in my younger years.This is the worst,I paid $8995 for it 3 1/2 yrs ago and the car is the gift that just keeps on taking. Appx cost of ownership per year is about $5,000 in repairs not counting the car payments. My wife says she is very happy we got this car due to the fact that it forced her to go back to work. (She was missing the workplace alot!) So thank you Ford for Making Quality Job One!

Its mileage, its in the shop so much a tank of gas lasts me forever.

The transmission has never shifted correctly from day one, I have put 2 air conditioning compressors into it along with all the lines, the brakes, rotors and callipers need to be replaced almost every brake job.