Used 1998 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

would not recommend
By mitch

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Had an '88 Taurus that had 193,000 miles on it before i had to get rid of it...it was a shame. Bought the '98 Taurus with 16,000 miles, and currently have about 120,000. The transmission had to be replaced at about 30,000, but thankfully it was under warranty. The car has always had problems, but never one to warrant selling it. The last 2 years have been plagued with heating issues. Gas mileage is acceptable, and has decent acceleration (although it takes about a half second to kick in after you push the pedal). The car, overall has been more trouble than it's worth.

Comfortable on longer trips, roomy interior. i learned a lot about fixing cars on this one.

Styling, reliability, heating issues.

Let there be HEAT!
By rook2296

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for three years now and for each year I have not had any heat, I have done work on the car to fix and it still won't work without changing the heater core. I have also had to change the battery twice and the alternator once. I changed my brakes and rotors twice and I am not a speed demon either, the upholstery falls apart and the car just is overall not a good buy! Don't Buy!

The size of the trunk and the storage room, fold down backseats.

I think the newer Tauruses have been improved - I don't recommend a 98-99 though!

not a good winter car!
By brock2296

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

So I bought my car from my uncle and it had all the maintenance ever needed done to it, and, well it does not have heat, I have flushed the thing out three times in three years and and still no heat - they say that they are notorious for clogging the heating coil, what a waste to buy if there is no heat. It costs too much to get the heater coil replaced and if you live where there is snow in the winter time, this is a Danger Warning, do not buy if you don't like sitting and waiting a half hour before going anywhere to defrost your front window, I get about 15 MPG and this is all at about 112,000 miles. Good luck if you own one.

I like the room that the car provides great for long trips.

Redo the the heating system!

My SHO
By pat muscarella

1998 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Great car I am the original owner and the car has exceeded my expectations in performance and lasting quality. As an engineer, I am still impressed with the power and comfort @ 111,000 miles.

Interior comfort.

Standard transmission.

good most of the time
By sop1

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Overall, a good car. Most of the time works smoothly, but when something does go wrong it's usually expensive. Safety features provide all sorts of quirks.

Car has lots of room, usually gets me where I want to go with minimum fuss.

Enough with the "safety" features. More annoying than actually increasing my safety.