1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Junk
By Quality is job 1 on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This car is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned and I have had a lot of $25 cars in my younger years.This is the worst,I paid $8995 for it 3 1/2 yrs ago and the car is the gift that just keeps on taking. Appx cost of ownership per year is about $5,000 in repairs not counting the car payments. My wife says she is very happy we got this car due to the fact that it forced her to go back to work. (She was missing the workplace alot!) So thank you Ford for Making Quality Job One!

Not a Bad Car
By wyomingwapiti on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I was sceptical when I bought our 98 Taurus SE in 1999 sold as a "program car". I figured I would be throwing money into this car since Taurus didnt have a very good track record in the past. I now have 97,000 miles on the car and it is still going strong. Never had any problems whatsover.Gas mileage is still about 27-30 mpg highway and considerable less in city. I have the DOHC engine which I recommend. Lots of power. I do not like the styling of this car...looks like a bubble. Like the styling of the 2000 and newer Taurus'. This is no Lexus or Infinity, so it does have squeeks and rattles and doesnt have a very good ride quality, but I am all ab

average car
By john_doe on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

i like the car for what it is but it has cost me money right from the beginning. brakes were the worst. anti- lock was good but the brakes themselves were always bad. the ride and design of the car is real nice untill you realize the rattle is from plastic front end suspension parts. yes plastic. so over all yea it's a nice car but would i buy anouther one? i would have to say no, only because of all the problems with the car.

98 Taurus
By Herb2453 on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Very good ecoonomical car, however design in front for tall people not good. Because doors get into room of leg.

1998 FORD TAURUS
By BREA_JO on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I LOVE MY TAURUS, I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. IT HAS THE POWER I NEED TO PULL MY JET SKIS AND IS THE SMALLER SEDAN I WANTED. I LIKE THE APPEARANCE AND RELIABILITY OF IT, IT ALSO HAS LARGE TRUNK SPACE AND GREAT LEG ROOM.

What about the brakes!
By jeepstr9 on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Taurus for about 4 years now. I really can't complain expect for a couple of things. First and foremost are the brakes! Numerous problems with them. Second would be service from dealerships. Although not directly related to the vehicle, good service may make the diffrence of buying a from a certain maker or not.

Decent Car
By mmark869 on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Received car basically as a gift with 65000 miles, only catch was it needed a new tranny, car has 70000 miles now with new tranny. The car runs well, has a soft smooth ride, handles O.K. This car is not very good on gas, and like many american cars the steering is too loose! Very comfortable to sit in and the controls are right where they should be, for some reason I Love the strange looking round control panel. The stock radio is nice and the climate control works great, good trunk space too.

can't win for losing
By schwoop on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

with this car you just can't win for losing.every time i turn around this car has something else wrong with it...would list them all but my fingers might cramp

1998 ford taurus
By mother on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

a very reliable car. e excellent all around performer.

Problematic Vehicle
By BJ Wiley on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This car was specifically built for me. Within the first 2 years I began having throttle assembly problems. It's now on it's 4th TA. The throttle sticks in the idle position. Instead of paying $300 for another throttle body, a friend said to check the throttle fly. It was the problem. Carb cleaner fixed it. Carbon build-up was the culprit. Also one spark plug is located on the backside of the engine which means the engine has to be disassembled to change it. This makes normal maintenance be high dollar. Also, the transmission finally broke two months ago. $1600 to repair. No warning that the transmission was about to breakdown.