Used 1998 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Puts up with a lot of abuse
By quickford

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for five years, and it is reliable in some ways, but unreliable in other aspects. The engine is bulletproof. I drove the car when it was leaking oil and nearly dry; after fixing the leak it still runs like a champ. I've driven it with a coolant leak and I almost had the temp gauge maxed once, and it never quit. But the leaks themselves were a concern. Also, the transmission is slipping pretty badly now, and at 118,000 miles it may not make it much longer. Some suspension pieces have needed replacement and the brakes warp easily. One of the rear wheels got stuck, and I had to hammer on the drum to loosen it up, probably due to the parking brake. Electrical system is iffy.

Favorite Features

Starts when I turn the key, goes when I hit the pedal, turns left and right, stops when it needs to. Hasn't been maintained as regularly as it should be, and would likely be more reliable if properly cared for. Unfortunately I just can't get excited about the car enough to maintain it properly.

Suggested Improvements

Could've been styled better, both inside and out. The transmission shifts like it was made of oatmeal, and lots of minor problems add up over time. It's a shame they couldn't put a better car around that reliable engine, which will probably still run after the rest of the car collapses around it.

Never Again
By L

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have always had faith in Taurus' until this one. I have put less than 10K on this car and more than $2K into in in less than one year. Now, service engine light on and probably another $1K bill. Already had transmission rebuilt at 80,000 miles, had freeze out plugs replaced (low cost part) high labor job $1200 for that job. After 4 months had to replace all sway link bars (twenty years of driving never heard of them), I do oil changes regularly. Brake design and trans stinks as we all know. Owned the car less than 1.5 years and I can say this is the worst car I ever owned. I got more use/mileage out of a $200 1994 Ford Taurus. A lot of people have had heat issues, my turn I'm sure.

Favorite Features

The day I can replace it; however, I'm sure I'll continue to get screwed for a while before I can do that. I need a case of WD-40 to own this car. Cannot feel comfortable driving because I'm too nervous waiting for the next repair.

Suggested Improvements

Trans, window closures, suspension issues or sway links, engine improvement and of course, breaks, shifts really weird very often.

Ford Taurus
By taurus_happy

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have had my Taurus that I bought from my father over a year ago. Thus far the dash has come apart over the instrument panel. The a/c no longer works. I think it is the switch. But overall coming from a Saab, this car is far more amazing. For a car to be made in America it has provided me with great service.

Favorite Features

Engine, V6

Hunk O' Junk
By b8k3p

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Since buying the Taurus, we've had tires blow out, the alternator died while we were on vacation, the alternator pulley was locked up, we had to replace the power steering pump, and now the transmission is a load of crap. This car has been more trouble than it's worth. It's been well used, and if I didn't still owe 1400 on it, I'd just junk it and get it over with.

Favorite Features

The engine runs great, which would be fabulous if I could say the same for the rest of the car. The seats are comfortable, and the car is roomy.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see it be just a little shorter in length, because it's practically a boat. I'd also like to see some parts that didn't break down every other day. I'd like to see higher fuel economy.

Great Expectations
By roseyrayf

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Purchased from a neighbor's daughter who finished nursing school. Car appears well cared for. Pulled a trailer across the Continental Divide both ways with a U-Hual. They were able to keep it in cruise with AC. I will be the third owner. How it lasts in the long term is to be seen. I keep my cars a long time.

Favorite Features

V6, dual exhausts alloy wheels dual air bags

Suggested Improvements

Interior features, some trim materials fit badly.