1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Going to the Junkyard
By Dave on 05/04/10 10:48 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Recently, the front driver side strut failed and the coil spring broke which in turn punctured the tire. This is just one of many costly problems with this vehicle. What is interesting about this situation is that the vehicle has less than 100,000 miles on it and has been lightly used over the past five years. After the suspension failure I found that the 1999 Taurus had been recalled for the possibility of faulty front coil springs. I guess Ford did not want to recall the 1998 model despite the fact that it is identical in every way to the 1999 model. Needless to say, I have put as much money and time into this vehicle as I am willing to bear. This Taurus is headed to the junkyard.

Trustworthy old gal
By geisinger on 04/22/10 07:49 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this great car 12 years ago with 80k miles on it (it was a salesman's car) and now have 160k. It still runs great and has given me no trouble. We used it in our move from Maryland to Florida five years ago and made 6 thousand mile (each way) trips fully loaded and pulling a heavy trailer. We got 28 mpg then and still do. Other than routine maintenance, the only repair was a cacked coolant recovery bottle.

kina pleased
By michael on 10/01/09 08:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

i bought this car at the beginning of 2008 with 114k miles...i now have 130k...when i bought it it had hit a deer..car was clean..replaced the hood and head light...since then...i have replace the transmission seal and have done other replacement due to miles...dash is coming apart and radio has tape deck that goes in and out from one side of speakers...fixed the locking latch on rear door...all parts and labor have been cheap...headlights are dim...im about to replace all front end parts due to age and hitting the deer...but all in all i think this is a great car that will last me a long time...paid 1700 bucks for it and put a grand into it..2700 dollars for this car was worth it...........

Love my 1998 Taurus Wagon
By Barby on 08/22/09 09:27 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

We have owned either a Taurus or a Sable. We are on our 5th one now. We buy them used with about 100,000 miles on them and then we drive them til about 150,000. This particular 98 Taurus Wagon we have now has 175,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. Have not had any major problems with any of these cars. We get about 25-27mpg which is great. We just recently got a 2003 Taurus sedan and it does not get as good gas mileage. It's about 22-24mpg. Guess Ford changed something. We have been thinking about replacing this wagon but actually are thinking on keeping it to see just how far it will go. The body is still in excellent condition, paint not fading at all.

Best wagon I have owned
By Rondo on 05/26/09 13:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this wagon new and would buy the same wagon new today. This vehicle has really been super. Dislike selling it at this time with only 73k on it, but bought a new Mecury Sable. Gets great gas mileage, rides and drives very well, and has lots of room for people or various items. The grandkids love the rear seat. Love the color too, silver, which doesn't show the dirt. All in all, Ford built this wagon exceptionally. Someone is going to get s super wagon in this area....

She's comin' undone!
By Ontario Canada on 01/13/09 13:03 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car used with 67000km on it. Heater has never worked properly core is perpetually plugged up. Discovered that if you pull the heater tubes off at the fire wall and flush it at that point- it works like a charm! Problem with overheating in summer, dashboard and indicator lights burnt out quickly, the console is just weird! But lots of room and plenty of get up and go. Door sensors are always broken. Headlights are very dim

Puts up with a lot of abuse
By quickford on 08/31/08 00:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for five years, and it is reliable in some ways, but unreliable in other aspects. The engine is bulletproof. I drove the car when it was leaking oil and nearly dry; after fixing the leak it still runs like a champ. I've driven it with a coolant leak and I almost had the temp gauge maxed once, and it never quit. But the leaks themselves were a concern. Also, the transmission is slipping pretty badly now, and at 118,000 miles it may not make it much longer. Some suspension pieces have needed replacement and the brakes warp easily. One of the rear wheels got stuck, and I had to hammer on the drum to loosen it up, probably due to the parking brake. Electrical system is iffy.

Never Again
By L on 07/31/08 01:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I have always had faith in Taurus' until this one. I have put less than 10K on this car and more than $2K into in in less than one year. Now, service engine light on and probably another $1K bill. Already had transmission rebuilt at 80,000 miles, had freeze out plugs replaced (low cost part) high labor job $1200 for that job. After 4 months had to replace all sway link bars (twenty years of driving never heard of them), I do oil changes regularly. Brake design and trans stinks as we all know. Owned the car less than 1.5 years and I can say this is the worst car I ever owned. I got more use/mileage out of a $200 1994 Ford Taurus. A lot of people have had heat issues, my turn I'm sure.

Ford Taurus
By taurus_happy on 05/29/08 07:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I have had my Taurus that I bought from my father over a year ago. Thus far the dash has come apart over the instrument panel. The a/c no longer works. I think it is the switch. But overall coming from a Saab, this car is far more amazing. For a car to be made in America it has provided me with great service.

Hunk O' Junk
By b8k3p on 04/03/08 23:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Since buying the Taurus, we've had tires blow out, the alternator died while we were on vacation, the alternator pulley was locked up, we had to replace the power steering pump, and now the transmission is a load of crap. This car has been more trouble than it's worth. It's been well used, and if I didn't still owe 1400 on it, I'd just junk it and get it over with.