1998 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Excellent Car
By musicaldark on 04/04/12 21:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus in Feb 2008, she had 88k miles on her, and here at 125k miles she's still running good as new. I always believed, if you take care of your car, then your car will take care of you. That's very true! I'm faithful to 3 month oil changes, 6 month tune ups, 1 year new tires or rotation of the ones bought the following year. I went today actually to look about getting a new car and the dealer at a Honda dealership told me, "You have a great car here, I'd keep her if I was you" and you know what? He was right and I am keeping her. Best investment I ever made!

Durable, Long-lasting car for a Pizza Delivery Driver
By oo7chick on 02/21/12 18:16 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in January 2010 but didn't start driving it until March because the transmission had been rigged up by previous owners. After shop did what they could to fix the transmission, I put about 36,000 miles on it driving for work and school. Had to get new brakes/pads, alternator, fuel and water pumps, battery and all the fixins. Show it some love and it will last for you! We bought it with just under 100,000 miles on it and the ending odometer was 135,500 (right on normal for the age of this car). It was a total loss when someone rear-ended me, but I would recommend this as a car worth the money. We paid $1200 originally and spend about $1500 on repairs needed for this car.

GOOD SOLID CAR
By ssmarkk on 03/11/11 10:12 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have purchased my car in 2002 with 72,000 miles on it. Now car has 131,000 miles and mechanically sounds perfectly. Had no major problems with the car at all. Since 2002 I had to change battery, the timing belt (at around 110,000 miles which is expected), belt tensioner, braking pads, boots and front rotors, turn signal switch, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, stabilizing link bars, 5 times changed expansion tank for cooling liquid, cabin and turning signal light bulbs, and, of course, tires. As you can see the most of the replacements are related to the routine maintenance. No problems with transmission and engine. This car become our family member.

Disappointment
By AVolarVolar on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I paid at $11,000 at 64,000 hwy miles from a pharmaceutical sales company in 1999. I spent $250 for a brake job inc warped rotors after 1st yr. My miles were lower than average but replaced brakes and tires often for the 1st 3 yrs. Overheating problems came and I spent quite a bit to get the system flushed & new coolant. The heater was not working reliably as coolant continued to leak out from the system recovery tank even after replacing pressure caps 2x . At 98,000 miles the Transmission gave out & it cost $4400. Door ajar light & check engine lights came on past yr. Heater stopped working., Leak in A/C system means no air. Now it wont pass smog & camshaft position sensor went out.

Who said flames make you go faster
By Taylor on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My Taurus SE caught fire at 290,000 km on the highway. These cars are not great I suggest finding something else.

Great Car
By Jes on 08/06/10 12:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got my Taurus as a first car when I first began to learn to drive. As a new driver, I did not take very good care of my car. It has taken a few beatings and some basic maintenance has been lacking but even in light of that, the car has still run great up until this point. The car now has 201,000 miles on it and the biggest problem it still has ever had is bad wheel bearings. It is an excellent car with very few problems and I have loved driving it!

Fix Or Repair Daily is this car's Motto
By Vicki on 07/16/10 11:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Electrical problems, driver door lock pops back up, brakes, brakes and more brakes. Heater core flushed three times in year and 1/2, then isn't that warm a week or so later, new sensor for speedometer to make it shift, new blower motor for heater and actuator door, brake line repairs, after all this, air compressor gone, no air. I can't remember the rest. Cup holders poor. Car drives good if you can afford the rest of the weekly maintenance.

Love This Car
By chuck on 06/25/10 07:26 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased new in August 1997 to replace 2003 SHO. Fun to drive, a tenth of a second slower than SHO in 1/4 mile. Runs even with current 5.0 Mustangs. Looks great, gets a lot of attention. Have had no mechanical problems just regular maintenance. No service issues. Used as second vehicle. This was an early model year vehicle so it has dual exhaust and trim items cost reduced out in later 1968 SE and performance packages. It is on its third set of premium tires, maybe due to driver style. Never thought of selling it until I drove the new SHO but it will still be a tough decision.

Going to the Junkyard
By Dave on 05/04/10 10:48 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Recently, the front driver side strut failed and the coil spring broke which in turn punctured the tire. This is just one of many costly problems with this vehicle. What is interesting about this situation is that the vehicle has less than 100,000 miles on it and has been lightly used over the past five years. After the suspension failure I found that the 1999 Taurus had been recalled for the possibility of faulty front coil springs. I guess Ford did not want to recall the 1998 model despite the fact that it is identical in every way to the 1999 model. Needless to say, I have put as much money and time into this vehicle as I am willing to bear. This Taurus is headed to the junkyard.

Puts up with a lot of abuse
By quickford on 08/31/08 00:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for five years, and it is reliable in some ways, but unreliable in other aspects. The engine is bulletproof. I drove the car when it was leaking oil and nearly dry; after fixing the leak it still runs like a champ. I've driven it with a coolant leak and I almost had the temp gauge maxed once, and it never quit. But the leaks themselves were a concern. Also, the transmission is slipping pretty badly now, and at 118,000 miles it may not make it much longer. Some suspension pieces have needed replacement and the brakes warp easily. One of the rear wheels got stuck, and I had to hammer on the drum to loosen it up, probably due to the parking brake. Electrical system is iffy.