1998 Ford Taurus SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1998 Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Sort Reviews by

Excellent Car
By musicaldark

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus in Feb 2008, she had 88k miles on her, and here at 125k miles she's still running good as new. I always believed, if you take care of your car, then your car will take care of you. That's very true! I'm faithful to 3 month oil changes, 6 month tune ups, 1 year new tires or rotation of the ones bought the following year. I went today actually to look about getting a new car and the dealer at a Honda dealership told me, "You have a great car here, I'd keep her if I was you" and you know what? He was right and I am keeping her. Best investment I ever made!

Favorite Features

What's not to love about my car? The 12 disk CD changer is awesome, power everything is a plus, durable, reliable, roomy, etc

Suggested Improvements

None at all, very happy with my girl

Durable, Long-lasting car for a Pizza Delivery Driver
By oo7chick

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in January 2010 but didn't start driving it until March because the transmission had been rigged up by previous owners. After shop did what they could to fix the transmission, I put about 36,000 miles on it driving for work and school. Had to get new brakes/pads, alternator, fuel and water pumps, battery and all the fixins. Show it some love and it will last for you! We bought it with just under 100,000 miles on it and the ending odometer was 135,500 (right on normal for the age of this car). It was a total loss when someone rear-ended me, but I would recommend this as a car worth the money. We paid $1200 originally and spend about $1500 on repairs needed for this car.

Favorite Features

Takes abuse, affordable, good gas mileage, rugged and durable, easy to drive, user-friendly, roomy cabin.

GOOD SOLID CAR
By ssmarkk

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have purchased my car in 2002 with 72,000 miles on it. Now car has 131,000 miles and mechanically sounds perfectly. Had no major problems with the car at all. Since 2002 I had to change battery, the timing belt (at around 110,000 miles which is expected), belt tensioner, braking pads, boots and front rotors, turn signal switch, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, stabilizing link bars, 5 times changed expansion tank for cooling liquid, cabin and turning signal light bulbs, and, of course, tires. As you can see the most of the replacements are related to the routine maintenance. No problems with transmission and engine. This car become our family member.

Favorite Features

Very reliable, comfortable (I am 6'1" tall and feeling very comfortable in the car), quiet, solid (no squeaks or other sounds inside and outside of the car), with enough power to drive on different roads. We have travelled to the East and West coast as well to the South many times. Gas milage remains the same as car getting older. When driving with speed 70-75m/h the car gets 28 miles per gallon. In city car gets 15-19 miles per gallon (in the winter time mileage goes down). Very satisfied with this car. If you are buying used one the price would be the best when comparing with analogous cars from other makers (twice as cheap as japanese cars).

Suggested Improvements

Problem with the expansion tank for the cooling liquid. The expansion tank is incorporated into the cooling system cycle. When operating a car a pressure in the cooling system rises that eventually creates the crack in the plastic expansion tank which should be replaced. I have changed mine 5 times during last 8 years.

A truly great beater
By firstwagon

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought our 98 Taurus SE for $1200 2 years ago. Since then we have put 20,000 miles on it and done nothing but oil changes. Mileage is good, handles great for an American car, is comfortable and has a big trunk. I just wanted a cheap beater as a second car but it turned out to be a reliable daily driver.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Not exactly a good looking car, vulcan V6 is neither powerful nor fuel efficient.

Disappointment
By AVolarVolar

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I paid at $11,000 at 64,000 hwy miles from a pharmaceutical sales company in 1999. I spent $250 for a brake job inc warped rotors after 1st yr. My miles were lower than average but replaced brakes and tires often for the 1st 3 yrs. Overheating problems came and I spent quite a bit to get the system flushed & new coolant. The heater was not working reliably as coolant continued to leak out from the system recovery tank even after replacing pressure caps 2x . At 98,000 miles the Transmission gave out & it cost $4400. Door ajar light & check engine lights came on past yr. Heater stopped working., Leak in A/C system means no air. Now it wont pass smog & camshaft position sensor went out.

Favorite Features

cruise control is nice, radio works great, electric windows still work. trunk access with fold down seats is great for long objects.

Suggested Improvements

A/C brakes transmission safety sensors overheating issues need to be addressed. Quality must be a priority and not a slogan. Why are consumers no longer trusting made in USA? Produce quality products at better prices then come back and regain your customers.

Who said flames make you go faster
By Taylor

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My Taurus SE caught fire at 290,000 km on the highway. These cars are not great I suggest finding something else.

Favorite Features

Trunk, took the 5 firemen to open it

Suggested Improvements

Better interior, especially the Stereo Dash (can't put aftermarket stereo in loaded models because of electrical components). Fire proof the car

Great Car
By Jes

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got my Taurus as a first car when I first began to learn to drive. As a new driver, I did not take very good care of my car. It has taken a few beatings and some basic maintenance has been lacking but even in light of that, the car has still run great up until this point. The car now has 201,000 miles on it and the biggest problem it still has ever had is bad wheel bearings. It is an excellent car with very few problems and I have loved driving it!

Fix Or Repair Daily is this car's Motto
By Vicki

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Electrical problems, driver door lock pops back up, brakes, brakes and more brakes. Heater core flushed three times in year and 1/2, then isn't that warm a week or so later, new sensor for speedometer to make it shift, new blower motor for heater and actuator door, brake line repairs, after all this, air compressor gone, no air. I can't remember the rest. Cup holders poor. Car drives good if you can afford the rest of the weekly maintenance.

Favorite Features

Looks nice,

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical, brake, heat and air problems. I got the car free and I thought I was so lucky, now I know why. They probably went bankrupt! It has cost me more than I can sell it for right now.

Love This Car
By chuck

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased new in August 1997 to replace 2003 SHO. Fun to drive, a tenth of a second slower than SHO in 1/4 mile. Runs even with current 5.0 Mustangs. Looks great, gets a lot of attention. Have had no mechanical problems just regular maintenance. No service issues. Used as second vehicle. This was an early model year vehicle so it has dual exhaust and trim items cost reduced out in later 1968 SE and performance packages. It is on its third set of premium tires, maybe due to driver style. Never thought of selling it until I drove the new SHO but it will still be a tough decision.

Favorite Features

Great handling and quick off the line. Runs smooth in normal driving. Starts instantly, good AC and audio system. Engine is tough and winds up quick.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission could be beefed up as its does have some mushy shifts at higher RPM.

Going to the Junkyard
By Dave

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Recently, the front driver side strut failed and the coil spring broke which in turn punctured the tire. This is just one of many costly problems with this vehicle. What is interesting about this situation is that the vehicle has less than 100,000 miles on it and has been lightly used over the past five years. After the suspension failure I found that the 1999 Taurus had been recalled for the possibility of faulty front coil springs. I guess Ford did not want to recall the 1998 model despite the fact that it is identical in every way to the 1999 model. Needless to say, I have put as much money and time into this vehicle as I am willing to bear. This Taurus is headed to the junkyard.

Favorite Features

Engine still works (for now).

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to make vehicles that don't turn into money pits after 10 years.