Used 1998 Ford Taurus LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

A truly great beater
By firstwagon

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought our 98 Taurus SE for $1200 2 years ago. Since then we have put 20,000 miles on it and done nothing but oil changes. Mileage is good, handles great for an American car, is comfortable and has a big trunk. I just wanted a cheap beater as a second car but it turned out to be a reliable daily driver.

Handling, comfort, reliability

Not exactly a good looking car, vulcan V6 is neither powerful nor fuel efficient.

Let there be HEAT!
By rook2296

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for three years now and for each year I have not had any heat, I have done work on the car to fix and it still won't work without changing the heater core. I have also had to change the battery twice and the alternator once. I changed my brakes and rotors twice and I am not a speed demon either, the upholstery falls apart and the car just is overall not a good buy! Don't Buy!

The size of the trunk and the storage room, fold down backseats.

I think the newer Tauruses have been improved - I don't recommend a 98-99 though!

good most of the time
By sop1

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Overall, a good car. Most of the time works smoothly, but when something does go wrong it's usually expensive. Safety features provide all sorts of quirks.

Car has lots of room, usually gets me where I want to go with minimum fuss.

Enough with the "safety" features. More annoying than actually increasing my safety.

All mighty Taurus
By Mike Pagone

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

The car has been very good so far. I only had minor problems. Since it does have 90,000 miles this is normal for any car. It rides great and it is by far the most comfortable car i have ever driven. The only thing I can't stand about the car is the inaccurate fuel gauge. It seems to never tell me the right amount of fuel I have.

The roominess of the inside. Very reliable.

Better gas gauge. Mine jumps all over the place and when I have a quarter of a tank left the meter jumps down to empty; however I usually get about 100 additional miles.

98 Taurus
By Herb2453

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Very good ecoonomical car, however design in front for tall people not good. Because doors get into room of leg.

Speed Control and Rear Defroster

Make sure trunk keys work for a long time. Have to always push from inside. Change design and make a bit shorter. Too long for small garage.