1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Review: So Far, So Good....

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Review

G Sedan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

So Far, So Good....
By Evan on

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

Purchased this Car from my mother who owned it since 2001. Before this though I drove the car on a somewhat regular basis, when I owned a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant. This is my second Taurus (the first was a 1992 GL 3.8 Essex). I like that this body style really opened the interior up. The rear has so much room for passengers and cargo and its a sedan! Im am tall and am most comfortable. The 3.0 vulcan doesnt produce as much torque as the 3.8 did, which is a downer considering how heavy this baby is, but it still has ample passing power and can merge into traffic on the freeway. Transmission can be fumbly at moderate speeds so I try to go easy on it. Design still looks good after 13 years.

Interior room, Interior materials are so much improved over gen I AND II. No exposed screws in door panels and pillar cover. Flip fold console is cool. Speakers could be better, but enjoy having little ones inside of the sideview mirror panels. Ford has better designers than GM/Chrysler hands down.

Transmisson seems indecisive and delicate. A slow shifter indeed. Powertrain is decent, but could use some tweaks here and there. Why climate controls and radio in same panel. Aftermarket stereo replacement will be a big pain in the gazoo!