Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

My Taurus
By mccamp

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Although car had been used as a dealer demo, I have found it to be reliable, comfortable, good mileage and an all around excellent buy. The interior has held up, the exterior has done very good and the handling is great. I don't speed or drive recklessly but do travel. I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and believe that has a lot to do with its longevity. It is comfortable, I appreciate the electric seats being a shorter person. I find the adjustable steering wheel an added bonus. The "lumbar" on the driver seat is great! The electric seat is great for short legged people. Electric mirrors a REAL plus when big trucks pull too close - shine lights back at them from mirrors.

Favorite Features

I use the speed control ALL the time, Every woman driving alone needs auto door/window locks. No problems like I did other makes. Impressed with the interior but there are no kids to give it hard wear and tear. I do have dogs ride it. Electric seat & steering wheel adjustments a plus for short people like me.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the seats folded down flatter, that the trunk was easier for us older folks to get things into without lifting over the lip of the trunk. I didn't care for the color but that doesn't have anything to do with the manufacturing.

97 Ford Taurus trash!
By ArthurR

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

LOOKS ARE DECEIVING! FREEMONT FORD VERY DISHONEST! Have not bought a Ford since! Nice car, BUT transmission goes out at 40K as per transmissions shops used to say it was the #1 car in for a new transmission. Brakes notorious for going out at the same time as well as a # of other expensive mechanical problems. Dealership was very irresponsible and tried to always shrug off warranty responsibilities as well as recall which cost me a 30 day rental car. Stabilizer bars bent and dealer said they would cover it under warranty if their was no sign of them hitting any object. When they realized no sign of them being hit by an accident etc.. they then refused to cover it. I bet FORD is now begging.

Favorite Features

Style, smooth and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Most Mechanical parts especially the Trani..

Started when I bought it....
By TashaKathryn

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

When I bought the vehicle, I thought i had found the one. WRONG. I have replaced brakes 6 times and rotors 3 times. Inside light has a major problem and will sometimes not turn off. Also windows leak air. Transmissn started slipping at 90k and is now about to die @ 119k. The car is very comfortable and pretty durable, but I am disappointed in the maintence.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats that adjust. Roomy and the air works GREAT!!!

Suggested Improvements

Remodel transmission and improve features.

recall tranny
By fordsarebest

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

i bought my taurus in 2000 and i love my car but the transmission kicks out of gear often when i stop at redlight or turnoff.i took it to ford garage and theysaid it was a problem with all of them from that year. i think they should recall these cars for safety reasons and fix the problem.Other than that I love how it drives still and gas mileage is decent for a big car but could have been better.very comfortable on long trip,and has the best engine (3.0) I think has ever been built.

Favorite Features

comfort, inside design,

Suggested Improvements

fix tranny before someone gets hurt from it .

SHO - The only Taurus I'd own
By RedGeminiPA

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I bought my '97 SHO with 105,996 miles. Since then I've driven about 3,000 miles with no major problems. I did have the driver's side tierod end replaced because it was getting dry (no grease fittings) and very noisy. It will soon need ball joints for the same reason (drying out). My average mileage is between 20 - 22 mpg. Car looks great - black metalic w/ chrome wheels... real head-turner! Mach Audio, moonroof, tan leather, factory cell phone - tons of features for this class! 4-wheel air ride is great on highways, but rough on bumps. Yamaha 32V V8 has good power and nice exhaust note. Will need suspension work - noisy. I paid $5995.00. Nice for the $.

Favorite Features

Overall style is great. Mach Audio has good sound. 32 valve Yamaha V-8 - 235 hp. Comfortable leather interior. Moonroof. 16" Chrome wheels. Handles nice. Decent gas mileage for a V-8. Low insurance cost - $18 / year less than my 2001 Saturn L200 (4 cyl). Auto climate control is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Put grease fitting on the joints! Cup holders are worthless. Interior rattles over every bump. CD changer skips over most bumps. Wiper speeds don't work correctly. Interior door panels are working loose. All minor problems expected with age and mileage.