Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Not what we were hoping for...
By JennS

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Ford hurt my feelings with this car. Have had lots of trouble with my Taurus. Thought it would be a nice, economy car with a long, worry-free life. Wrong! Lots of little annoying problems, like the door ajar switches sticking and making the lights stay on, numerous sensor problems, rotors, etc. Replaced the head and gasket at 80,000, radiator has "gunk" in it even after numerous flushes/cleanings. Can hear the "water" running when you turn. Now it is missing, again, after replacing spark plugs/wires 3 different times. Afraid the transmission will go any day. Other than that, I like to drive it and it is a comfortable ride. Just wish it was more dependable.

Radio, interior, roomy trunk.

Transmission, overall mechanical, door switches.

My Taurus
By mccamp

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Although car had been used as a dealer demo, I have found it to be reliable, comfortable, good mileage and an all around excellent buy. The interior has held up, the exterior has done very good and the handling is great. I don't speed or drive recklessly but do travel. I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and believe that has a lot to do with its longevity. It is comfortable, I appreciate the electric seats being a shorter person. I find the adjustable steering wheel an added bonus. The "lumbar" on the driver seat is great! The electric seat is great for short legged people. Electric mirrors a REAL plus when big trucks pull too close - shine lights back at them from mirrors.

I use the speed control ALL the time, Every woman driving alone needs auto door/window locks. No problems like I did other makes. Impressed with the interior but there are no kids to give it hard wear and tear. I do have dogs ride it. Electric seat & steering wheel adjustments a plus for short people like me.

I wish the seats folded down flatter, that the trunk was easier for us older folks to get things into without lifting over the lip of the trunk. I didn't care for the color but that doesn't have anything to do with the manufacturing.

97 Ford Taurus trash!
By ArthurR

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

LOOKS ARE DECEIVING! FREEMONT FORD VERY DISHONEST! Have not bought a Ford since! Nice car, BUT transmission goes out at 40K as per transmissions shops used to say it was the #1 car in for a new transmission. Brakes notorious for going out at the same time as well as a # of other expensive mechanical problems. Dealership was very irresponsible and tried to always shrug off warranty responsibilities as well as recall which cost me a 30 day rental car. Stabilizer bars bent and dealer said they would cover it under warranty if their was no sign of them hitting any object. When they realized no sign of them being hit by an accident etc.. they then refused to cover it. I bet FORD is now begging.

Style, smooth and comfortable.

Most Mechanical parts especially the Trani..

Started when I bought it....
By TashaKathryn

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

When I bought the vehicle, I thought i had found the one. WRONG. I have replaced brakes 6 times and rotors 3 times. Inside light has a major problem and will sometimes not turn off. Also windows leak air. Transmissn started slipping at 90k and is now about to die @ 119k. The car is very comfortable and pretty durable, but I am disappointed in the maintence.

Comfortable seats that adjust. Roomy and the air works GREAT!!!

Remodel transmission and improve features.

recall tranny
By fordsarebest

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

i bought my taurus in 2000 and i love my car but the transmission kicks out of gear often when i stop at redlight or turnoff.i took it to ford garage and theysaid it was a problem with all of them from that year. i think they should recall these cars for safety reasons and fix the problem.Other than that I love how it drives still and gas mileage is decent for a big car but could have been better.very comfortable on long trip,and has the best engine (3.0) I think has ever been built.

comfort, inside design,

fix tranny before someone gets hurt from it .

• SUV