1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
This is a good car but!
By Fanula on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

The best part of this car is it seats eight. Very few vans even do this. We changed fuel pump at 55,000 miles (This year0. Door clips come off, and AC not best. Makes noise driving on steep hills except when on premium gas. Handles well in wind on highway.

Great car for the money
By Marc Ayala on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Taurus in 1998 used with 24,000 miles. I was extremely surprised with the power and handling for a domestic car. On the highway the car gets 30 miles to the gallon, and 20 in the city. It's held up extremely well, and is still going strong at 112,000 miles.

i'd like a new car but i can't afford on
By cagirlcal on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

my car ran great for the first 8 or 9 months that i've had it and I try to keep it service on a regular basis, but now it's started shaking in the front end and pulls hard to the left.

Bad Bad Bad Bad transmission
By do_not_buy_ford on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My Taurus is about 60000 miles and 5 years, the only owner. I replaced a new transmission just after the warranty (only about 40000 miles), and got "Service engine soon" lighe on 3 times now.

Satisfied
By dmr on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Have had vehicle for 4 years with little or no problems with the exception of a front door clip breaking loose on the door. Power for body size is very good. Mileage combined city/hwy. about 22-24 mpg. No major mechanical problems. All parts or original. I would reccommend this vehicle for a family member/close friend based on my experience with the vehicle.

Yes, I work for Ford...
By I_Work_For_Ford! on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

And I'm here to tell you: if you are thinking of buying one, don't! I have 50,000 miles on my car. I work for Ford, so I got the employee discount. I spent it ($1500) today. Here's what has gone wrong so far: * Front speakers bad - 4 times! * Door panels pop open when doors are shut, due to repeated dealer repairs. * Front door window channels pop out due to broken clips. * A/C compressor failed at 50,000 miles. $1500.00 for repair. Too much to list in 700 characters...

watch out for the fuel pump
By on_the_fence on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

2.5 years into having this wagon (bought with 30k miles) I was driving down a busy street. Suddenly, no power. Engine goes silent. Glide into a hotel parking lot. Tried starting car. No go. Car had been running fine up till now. Towed to dealer (first major repair, figured better safe than sorry). $500 bucks later, new fuel pump. 5 months later, fuel injectors clogged, needs a complete tune up (76,000 miles on it). Another $500. Generally a good car, but starting to worry, approaching 80,000 miles.

dependability
By r.a. on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

very good investment! I recomend this year and model to any one.

Why not to buy a 97 Taurus
By UnhappyFord on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Short and sweet: 5 starters, 2 transmissions,HORRIBLE DIM headlights, electrical problems galore, high depreciation,air bags deployed during a 7mph fender bender. Total cost to a 2001 Audi = $30 touch up paint, to my taurus $3700!! (shattered windshield, and deployment caused other dash problems [horn electrical- wouldn't turn off], plus the bags needed replacement),low torque when needed, inadequate tuned RPM sensor, ousy factory warranty, only 36k tells me I bought crap when the factory won't even stand behind it, so much for listening to a friend.If you planning on driving that ford, consider something else instead.

ford
By venkat on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Overall a good, safe, and comfortable car. Road handling is bit poor.