1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Great family car
By JKeene on 04/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

My family has been completely satisfied with this Taurus GL wagon. It rides very smooth and exhibits confident and well-balanced handling. Only 2 small people can fit in the back 3rd-row seat, but anyone under about 10-12 years old will do just fine. There have been a couple of cracking plastic parts. (One runner on the roof and a vent control inside) It gets 19-20 miles per gallon in town and about 25 mpg on the highway. Although many critics may disagree, I think it is more roomy and comfortable than a Honda Accord and is more reliable than a Volvo V70. I have been converted into a Ford fan with this great car.

Cheap! Don't buy!
By Jeremy Fish on 04/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Worst investment we've ever made. The engine sounds horrible, we've taken it back 5 times now to have them fix the dome light because it decides to come on and go off when it wants to, and they still haven't figured out what it is. The radip has quit multiple times. The bass gave out after a year, and the steering wheel has faded after 1 month. The roof rack should've come with a warning that it was only there for DECORATION since we put something on it and it broke! The cruise control quite after a week!

FORD TAURUS (PIECE OF JUNK)
By boogs11233 on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

MY 1997 FORD TAURUS IS A PIECE OF JUNK. I NOW HAVE 60000 MILES AND I NEED A NEW TRANNY. I ALSO KNOW TWO OTHER PEOPLE, WHO OWN TAURUSES WITH COMPARABLE MILEAGE, THAT NEED NEW TRANSMISSIONS. I WILL NEVER AGAIN GET ANOTHER FORD. "GOOD RIDDENS"

Buyer beware, worst car I ever owned!
By dunnr on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

In less than 20K miles of driving, all but three of the door switches that turn off the interior lights have failed , one window motor failed, the rotors have failed, one caliper has failed, the EGR valve went bad, the camshaft position sensor went bad. I should have read reviews before I bought the car, I will read them before I buy my next one.

PROBLEMS I HAVE EXPERIENCED
By TINA on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I REALLY LOVE MY TAURUS.BUT I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS, IN 2002 I HAD TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION.I CANNOT USE MY ALARM, IT GOES OFF FOR NO REASON, HAVE HAD SENSOR REPLACED & IS STILL A PROBLEM.MY ENGINE COOLANT LIGHT COMES ON ALL THE TIME, THE COOLANT IS FULL AND DOES NOT OVERHEAT, PROBABLY ANOTHER SENSOR.AT TIMES MY DOME LIGHT COMES ON AND WILL NOT GO OFF UNTIL ITS GOOD & READY.

132000 Miles Strong
By Second_owner on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Bought this in 1998 with 57,000 miles already on it. 75,000 miles and countless kids later and it has never left me stranded. A fine family vehicle

Quality was not Job #1 on this tranny.
By Not_Happy_in_Florida on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

The day before Thanksgiving, the transmission died. Going to sell mine (69,500 miles - sole owner) then promptly get rid of my Windstar before something else goes wrong there, too (faulty "Check Engine" sensor twice in the first 24,000 miles, and a bum power steering hose). Wouldn't be half as mad at Ford if their service departments charged something close to reality on repairs. Although advertised as needing only regular grade gas, this sucker pings all day long.

Great overall car
By ZAZLE on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Great breaks, great interior quality, great reliability. Good handling. Perfect get-around-town-car. Well- behaved on long trips. definately worth the money invested.

1997 taurus gl
By tekmaster25 on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I love my 1997 taurus GL.This specacific model has leather,power sliding sun roof,6 disc cd changer and all the power options inc. power seat. It's performance is a great compromise between economy and power. No problems to report here. ford did a good job on this one.

Not a bad car
By Bob Mc on 10/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Just sold a '94 that I bought 4/01, and drove for 17 months and 36K miles, got back 2/3 of what I paid for it. Was going to buy an '02, but went for a clean (69K miles) '97 instead. Figure on driving for a year and getting back close to what I paid. The '94 was a great road car, hope the '97 does as well.