Used 1997 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

97 Ford Taurus trash!
By ArthurR

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

LOOKS ARE DECEIVING! FREEMONT FORD VERY DISHONEST! Have not bought a Ford since! Nice car, BUT transmission goes out at 40K as per transmissions shops used to say it was the #1 car in for a new transmission. Brakes notorious for going out at the same time as well as a # of other expensive mechanical problems. Dealership was very irresponsible and tried to always shrug off warranty responsibilities as well as recall which cost me a 30 day rental car. Stabilizer bars bent and dealer said they would cover it under warranty if their was no sign of them hitting any object. When they realized no sign of them being hit by an accident etc.. they then refused to cover it. I bet FORD is now begging.

Favorite Features

Style, smooth and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Most Mechanical parts especially the Trani..

Started when I bought it....
By TashaKathryn

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

When I bought the vehicle, I thought i had found the one. WRONG. I have replaced brakes 6 times and rotors 3 times. Inside light has a major problem and will sometimes not turn off. Also windows leak air. Transmissn started slipping at 90k and is now about to die @ 119k. The car is very comfortable and pretty durable, but I am disappointed in the maintence.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats that adjust. Roomy and the air works GREAT!!!

Suggested Improvements

Remodel transmission and improve features.

recall tranny
By fordsarebest

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

i bought my taurus in 2000 and i love my car but the transmission kicks out of gear often when i stop at redlight or turnoff.i took it to ford garage and theysaid it was a problem with all of them from that year. i think they should recall these cars for safety reasons and fix the problem.Other than that I love how it drives still and gas mileage is decent for a big car but could have been better.very comfortable on long trip,and has the best engine (3.0) I think has ever been built.

Favorite Features

comfort, inside design,

Suggested Improvements

fix tranny before someone gets hurt from it .

Pretty, but high maintenance
By Rob in Peoria

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I liked the looks, but wish I had done more homework before buying. In little over a year we've put more money into this car than we paid for it - new tranny, brakes (twice!), and tires. Hopefully I can help someone else keep from getting sucked in by the sporty appearance - if you love your mechanic, or more specifically, love making his boat payments, buy this car. It also rides rough and is noisy (wind noise is terrible)

Favorite Features

Sporty exterior, moderate gas mileage, comfortable seats, lots of trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the tranismission, larger brake rotors (so they don't overheat and warp under normal driving conditions) make the windows a bit more airtight so they don't scream in highway wind speeds.

my first car
By ccbabe1689

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

When I got this car, my battery DIED the second day I had it. Now it starts up funny. Transmission is iffy but otherwise the car is great.

Favorite Features

comfy seats, lots of room in back and trunk.

Suggested Improvements

transmission.