1997 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Bad Bad Bad Bad transmission
By do_not_buy_ford on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My Taurus is about 60000 miles and 5 years, the only owner. I replaced a new transmission just after the warranty (only about 40000 miles), and got "Service engine soon" lighe on 3 times now.

Satisfied
By dmr on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Have had vehicle for 4 years with little or no problems with the exception of a front door clip breaking loose on the door. Power for body size is very good. Mileage combined city/hwy. about 22-24 mpg. No major mechanical problems. All parts or original. I would reccommend this vehicle for a family member/close friend based on my experience with the vehicle.

Yes, I work for Ford...
By I_Work_For_Ford! on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

And I'm here to tell you: if you are thinking of buying one, don't! I have 50,000 miles on my car. I work for Ford, so I got the employee discount. I spent it ($1500) today. Here's what has gone wrong so far: * Front speakers bad - 4 times! * Door panels pop open when doors are shut, due to repeated dealer repairs. * Front door window channels pop out due to broken clips. * A/C compressor failed at 50,000 miles. $1500.00 for repair. Too much to list in 700 characters...

dependability
By r.a. on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

very good investment! I recomend this year and model to any one.

Why not to buy a 97 Taurus
By UnhappyFord on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Short and sweet: 5 starters, 2 transmissions,HORRIBLE DIM headlights, electrical problems galore, high depreciation,air bags deployed during a 7mph fender bender. Total cost to a 2001 Audi = $30 touch up paint, to my taurus $3700!! (shattered windshield, and deployment caused other dash problems [horn electrical- wouldn't turn off], plus the bags needed replacement),low torque when needed, inadequate tuned RPM sensor, ousy factory warranty, only 36k tells me I bought crap when the factory won't even stand behind it, so much for listening to a friend.If you planning on driving that ford, consider something else instead.

ford
By venkat on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Overall a good, safe, and comfortable car. Road handling is bit poor.

The Taurus a great choice
By Farmer Joe on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I think the Taurus is a good car. It will always start and we never have to take it to the shop, ecept the motor for the window broke. Our last one, an 89 Taurus Wagon, that thing went about 113,000 miles before the transmission started to slip and it was just getting old. Then we bought the one we have now. I think there is a lot of interior room in the car. I am content with it, and I would buy another one if there was a good price on a used one, just like all of our cars. We also have a 95 Mercury Sable wich has not given us any trouble. So these American cars are great, I would request this to anyone who wants a good midsize car.

Nothing to brag about.
By baleo on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought used. Price was right. Needed trans at 65000. Good thing we had extended warranty. Otherwise okay. Took on a few trips long trips, 800+ miles. Ride on highway is good. In town ride mediocre. Interior design confortable, good driver and passenger seats. Will keep until it dies because no resale value.

Excellent car for your money!
By felixc1976 on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 97 for $17k with all possible options. I've driven 60k miles in 5 years with practically no problems! I bought an extened warranty for 7 years and feel safe. This is a quality car with all possible options for much less money than Camry or Maxima. I recommend buying 2 yr old loaded SEL Taurus for $13k + $1k for extended warranty and driving it till 100k mi. I'm not sure it will survive afterwards, but by that time you will want a new car anyway. However, you will save a lot of money for the next car!

Do Not Buy a Ford
By KarenT on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Just after warranty expired, transmission went out at 48,000 miles. We live in Germany in support of US military and Ford was of absolutely NO help. These cars are not built with European specs so it took us 6 months and $2500 to get it fixed. Again, no help from Ford! We have had problem after problem with things such as broken seat belt, interior door coming loose, broken CD player, etc...