Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Love this car
By David

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

This car has been a super purchase. It fits a family of 5 (me, wife, 3 kids) and luggage in the back or on top. I can even separate the kids and put some in the back rumble seat to keep them quiet and at peace. The added tow package has made towing a pop-up camper or small trailer easy and made this vehicle even more flexible. SUPER gas mileage and great reliability. The only challenge has been meeting the VERY strict NY state emissions standards with the California engine, but we finally solved the emission sensor issues and life is good. I only wish it had a CD player!

Favorite Features

Rear third row seat, luggage rack, power window locks, GREAT A/C.

Suggested Improvements

CD player. More reliable door lock switch on drivers side - it's flaky (but so am i after all these years).

Don't be so hard on Taurus
By Lynn Daczyk

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This has been a good utility and trip vehicle for me. Normal maintenance. Worst problem was blowing a freeze plug at 130,000 miles and, with my not watching the temp gauge, ruined the engine. Replacement was reasonable (lucky me, on a trip!) and it's been running fine, now at 150,000. Gas mileage is 26 in the city, 30 on trips. Doesn't use oil.

Favorite Features

My standards aren't that high; seeing I run my cars "into the ground". It handles great in winter conditions. I also love that it doesn't rust out!

Suggested Improvements

Wiper fluid mechanism responsiveness.

1997
By Dan

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I like the car very well. Has good power and is comfortable. Have owned my car for almost six years, have had very little trouble with it.

Favorite Features

The power, the handling, and most of all the dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission.

RELIABLE
By Jeroen Walstra

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

The car cost me $3070 in repairs over 5 years. We had very few problems and provided ample space for a family of 5. Even friends can be taken along as a result of the folding seat in the back.

Favorite Features

Seat in back.

Suggested Improvements

The looks aren't great and the ride could be 'stiffer.'

Reliable and inexpensive
By David

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Ours was in good condition when purchased at 86,000 miles, requiring only fluids and filters. In the 40,000 miles since then there has been one problem (camshaft position sensor - car was still drivable), and everything else was wear and tear related. A few annoyances - wind noise on passenger side, rusty A pillar on driver side, some misaligned interior trim pieces - but overall it's very likable - it has a "Millennium Falcon" appeal with the swoopy styling and all the junk you can carry inside. Transmission seems a little delicate (overheated the fluid while driving to Big Bear from LA and needed it flushed). Wouldn't buy one new because of depreciation, but it's a great used-car buy.

Favorite Features

Very roomy, inexpensive to maintain, 24 mpg average over the past 40,000 miles, precise handling and strong 4-wheel disc brakes. Great A/C, comfortable front seats. Stereo is pretty good as well. In a sea of SUVs it seems to have a contrarian character. (A Taurus with character?!).

Suggested Improvements

Back seat is large but somehow uncomfortable. Rear headrests for safety. Vulcan V6 makes low tech sounds and little power, though smooth around town and OK on the highway once up to speed. (Would have preferred the 24V Duratech.) Transmission clunky at times. Plastic headlights yellow with age.