1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Not bad for a Taurus
By MOS on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Bought this wagon in 2001 with 85000 miles. I have since put on 46000 miles. Once had to have work done on the transmission with two solenoid valves replaced on the valve body. All tranny shops wanted to rebuild the whole thing for 1500/- and above. The local ford dealer did a good diagnosis and prescribed the right parts. I then went to a trans shop and gave them the diagnosis to fix for half the labor estimate of the dealer. In all about 400/- to fix. 300/- in parts.

Taurus Review
By hfbfive on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I Purhcased this vehicle with about 14 k on it. I just turned 186,000. I am just starting to have a problem that may be timing related, but I just passed RI emissions with great results, and still get 27 MPG on the highway. This car has been awesome, and impresses folks at the dealership. Besides the scheduled maint. religiously, I have installed a batt, brakes, tires, and a tension pully for the serp. belt. Everything else is original!

Truely Awesome
By jmac on 09/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

After careful research, I decided to go for it and purchase a SHO! 97 British Green fully loaded. all the claims that I read were pretty much on the mark. the car looks great and handles very well, car has 54000 miles and it looks as good as it did the first day it rolled out of the showroom. Plenty of room and very comfortable. great acceleration and it will eat up bmrs and stangs!

mostly happy
By bigdave on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

The Taurus has been a good daily driver for my wife. Gas mileage usually 19-21 mpg, with 3.0 engine 12 valve. Engine check light came on at 60K was the coil. Cost $400 to fix since each spark plug has its own coil pretty expensive. Put first set of rear brakes at 65K, but the Ford dealer said the fronts could go another 10-15K these are the original brakes. Weird, I thought the fronts were suppose to wear out first, but who's complaining.

Great ride - poor mechanical function
By kgal37 on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

Excellent acceleration and handling - good quiet ride. Mechanically the worst car I ever owned - needed transmission replaced at 39,000 miles - under three years old, and since have replaced transmission sensor three times. Engine shot at 97,000 miles. The car had overheated. Seems that engine light is always on and many small electrical problems. At transmission repair shop, many Ford's -Taurus and Windstar in for repair - this transmission should have been recalled. Also, per mechanic, the Taurus has problems with Crankshaft and seals.

Fishbowl
By MaNdA on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Despite the exterior and interior looks of the car, it has been a very reliable and safe car to drive. Holds up great in accidents. Have had no problems even though the car is a FORD.

Great middle-of-the-road car
By templedf on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus with 30k miles, and at 110k, I'm only just starting to have some mechanical problems. For price/performance, a slightly used Taurus is really a great deal.

Good Value for the money
By dt12818 on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car new for $15,000 in 1997 with Ford's .09 percent financing. The car today only has 68,000 miles and I have never had any major mechanical problems with it. The only repair I have ever made was the automatic window motor stopped working but was fixed under warranty. I also purchased a 1999 Taurus and have no problems with it. For the money, this car has been awesome and was a great buy for the limited budget that I had.

Ford please bring back the SHO
By Ed Kimmel on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

These cars were one of the best buys in automotive history, when looking for my second SHO I wanted to create the original feeling with a 5-speed and a hot clutch, but ford had eliminated the manual models. the 1997 British racing green SHO has every option including a hand free car phone, C.D. changer in the trunk and some really beautiful wheels to boot. great lines with really great performance, (even the gas mileage is 19\24 is good) at 71500 miles nothing but the antenna mast has had to be replaced, also 1 battery and a new set of tires at 42599. I would highly endorse these cars for their performance for $$ equation , its it great!!

SHO Me
By tkymasters on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

The SHO is a great performance sedan, but with many Engineering flaws. This sleeper vehicle can come out of the box like a bat out of hell. Yet, you could throw a baby seat in the back and go for a Sunday drive. Handling is awesome with the McPherson Struts.