Used 1997 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

1997
By Dan

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I like the car very well. Has good power and is comfortable. Have owned my car for almost six years, have had very little trouble with it.

Favorite Features

The power, the handling, and most of all the dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission.

major headaches
By bigstan

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

The Taurus is definitely made to be a throw away car. The car had a rebuilt transmission when I bought it and I had to replace the tranny again at 102,000 miles. Now at 140,000, it is slipping again. The oil pan is now leaking as well and the a/c just went out, Had to replace speed sensor as well, cost $500 bucks. It rides rough, is loud, and uses brakes up very fast. I take great care of my cars and wonder how much trouble I would have had if I didn't. I am now giving up on Fords.

Favorite Features

Roomy inside and roomy trunk as well, controls easy to get to.

Suggested Improvements

Different transmission, make it less noisy to drive and smoother to drive ... actually, just go back to the drawing board.

A sorry gift
By Pops

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Because they depreciate so fast, especially with high mileage, I was able to buy this Taurus very cheaply. It is rated well in safety so I gave it as gift to my son. Excellent car with few problems until the tranny went at 120,000. I should not have replaced it. Since then it has been ball joints, struts, oil pan and gaskets and major brake work. Now at 150,000 it needs another tranny, serpentine belt pulley, exhaust, and wheel bearings. The Taurus is probably a good buy with low mileage, but sell it before it gets much over the 100,000 mark. Long term buyers should go with foreign makes.

Favorite Features

Economical and reliable until it gets real mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, transmission, transmission.

Not what we were hoping for...
By JennS

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Ford hurt my feelings with this car. Have had lots of trouble with my Taurus. Thought it would be a nice, economy car with a long, worry-free life. Wrong! Lots of little annoying problems, like the door ajar switches sticking and making the lights stay on, numerous sensor problems, rotors, etc. Replaced the head and gasket at 80,000, radiator has "gunk" in it even after numerous flushes/cleanings. Can hear the "water" running when you turn. Now it is missing, again, after replacing spark plugs/wires 3 different times. Afraid the transmission will go any day. Other than that, I like to drive it and it is a comfortable ride. Just wish it was more dependable.

Favorite Features

Radio, interior, roomy trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, overall mechanical, door switches.

My Taurus
By mccamp

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Although car had been used as a dealer demo, I have found it to be reliable, comfortable, good mileage and an all around excellent buy. The interior has held up, the exterior has done very good and the handling is great. I don't speed or drive recklessly but do travel. I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and believe that has a lot to do with its longevity. It is comfortable, I appreciate the electric seats being a shorter person. I find the adjustable steering wheel an added bonus. The "lumbar" on the driver seat is great! The electric seat is great for short legged people. Electric mirrors a REAL plus when big trucks pull too close - shine lights back at them from mirrors.

Favorite Features

I use the speed control ALL the time, Every woman driving alone needs auto door/window locks. No problems like I did other makes. Impressed with the interior but there are no kids to give it hard wear and tear. I do have dogs ride it. Electric seat & steering wheel adjustments a plus for short people like me.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the seats folded down flatter, that the trunk was easier for us older folks to get things into without lifting over the lip of the trunk. I didn't care for the color but that doesn't have anything to do with the manufacturing.