1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Safe, Cute and Friendly
By D. Tru on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

The Taurus was my first car. I bought it from the rental fleet at 22k miles. Also, this car initially served as a training vehicle for my wife and my friend, and it took abuse from renters and us pretty well. Key buying decision factors were size, safety and style, but the Taurus turned out to be very dependable and with timely maintenance required very few repairs over the years (battery, tires, and struts).

Average Describes It
By TaurusNC on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle out of a rental fleet. Perhaps that is the reason I had constant problems with mechanical items. Heat, waterpump, radiator had issues from day one. Ride and handling were nice when the car was up and running. Ended up donating to charity after waterpump blew at 85,000 miles.

Fixed Or Repaired Daily
By sg on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Fuel system shut-off in its own. Door clip loose. Fuel gauge still shows inaccurately. There was a recall on this, but even the one the dealer replaced with shows the same way. Fuel guage shows inaccurately until the end. From a quarter tank it would suddenly go to empty tank. Service Engine light comes all the time. Head lights are dull. Driver side door is loose.

Very Reliable
By broberts on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new in 1997 and it has been very reliable. I wish the gas mileage was better as my overall average is only 20. 27-28 on long highway trips.

My Red Taurus
By higman97 on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This vehicle was supplied to me brand new as a company vehicle. I drove the vehicle brand new and purchased it from the company in 2000. The vehicle has been one of the best vehicles that I've owned. It is extremely reliable and has been a nice vehicle to own and drive.

Solid for the $$$
By jam18 on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I loved the comfort of the '90 version, so after driving a Protege around for four years, it was time to go back to comfort. The Taurus is solid for the $$$ you pay for it. I paid $11k for it in '99 (with 30,000 miles), versus an Accord which would have cost me $17k. At 117,000 miles now (Dec. '03), it's time to trade-in for another car (unlike our '92 Accord, which is going strong at 150,000 miles). As with my '90 Taurus, I am starting to experience reliability issues after 100,000 miles, and I fear that it will nickel and dime me to death. But, I got what I paid for, and am happy (and more comfortable) for the experience.

Taurus 1997
By jkplawson on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased the vehicle used in 2000. Runs great only had in shop one time in 3 years.

Love the SHO
By Jay P on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought a black 97 SHO a little over a year ago. Have to say that I love the car. I have put 15,000 miles on the car and have not had any problems. It's definately a sleeper. Luxurious as well.

For being a Ford it is actually good
By ChevyMan on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

We got this Taurus GL with about 55,000 miles and after like 2,000 the belt broke and we found out that 2 pulleys were completely frozen. But after that it did great. It has taken a bunch of abuse but the biggest problem with it so far would probably be the belt problem and the rear driver side power window motor frooze(which has happened to many Tauruses over the years). It has a pretty good amount of power for a car its size, great when passing, smooth ride, and tight making it great in corners. Very reliable no more problems and it runs better now(with 178,000) the when we got it. And to think this is the company that made the Ranger(horrible truck)

Happy With My Taurus
By Kelly Stevens on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car and it haS been a very dependable car and low maintaince car. I would buy another one.