1997 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Fixed Or Repaired Daily
By sg on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Fuel system shut-off in its own. Door clip loose. Fuel gauge still shows inaccurately. There was a recall on this, but even the one the dealer replaced with shows the same way. Fuel guage shows inaccurately until the end. From a quarter tank it would suddenly go to empty tank. Service Engine light comes all the time. Head lights are dull. Driver side door is loose.

My Red Taurus
By higman97 on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This vehicle was supplied to me brand new as a company vehicle. I drove the vehicle brand new and purchased it from the company in 2000. The vehicle has been one of the best vehicles that I've owned. It is extremely reliable and has been a nice vehicle to own and drive.

Taurus 1997
By jkplawson on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased the vehicle used in 2000. Runs great only had in shop one time in 3 years.

Solid for the $$$
By jam18 on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I loved the comfort of the '90 version, so after driving a Protege around for four years, it was time to go back to comfort. The Taurus is solid for the $$$ you pay for it. I paid $11k for it in '99 (with 30,000 miles), versus an Accord which would have cost me $17k. At 117,000 miles now (Dec. '03), it's time to trade-in for another car (unlike our '92 Accord, which is going strong at 150,000 miles). As with my '90 Taurus, I am starting to experience reliability issues after 100,000 miles, and I fear that it will nickel and dime me to death. But, I got what I paid for, and am happy (and more comfortable) for the experience.

For being a Ford it is actually good
By ChevyMan on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We got this Taurus GL with about 55,000 miles and after like 2,000 the belt broke and we found out that 2 pulleys were completely frozen. But after that it did great. It has taken a bunch of abuse but the biggest problem with it so far would probably be the belt problem and the rear driver side power window motor frooze(which has happened to many Tauruses over the years). It has a pretty good amount of power for a car its size, great when passing, smooth ride, and tight making it great in corners. Very reliable no more problems and it runs better now(with 178,000) the when we got it. And to think this is the company that made the Ranger(horrible truck)

Happy With My Taurus
By Kelly Stevens on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car and it haS been a very dependable car and low maintaince car. I would buy another one.

Taurus Review
By hfbfive on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I Purhcased this vehicle with about 14 k on it. I just turned 186,000. I am just starting to have a problem that may be timing related, but I just passed RI emissions with great results, and still get 27 MPG on the highway. This car has been awesome, and impresses folks at the dealership. Besides the scheduled maint. religiously, I have installed a batt, brakes, tires, and a tension pully for the serp. belt. Everything else is original!

mostly happy
By bigdave on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The Taurus has been a good daily driver for my wife. Gas mileage usually 19-21 mpg, with 3.0 engine 12 valve. Engine check light came on at 60K was the coil. Cost $400 to fix since each spark plug has its own coil pretty expensive. Put first set of rear brakes at 65K, but the Ford dealer said the fronts could go another 10-15K these are the original brakes. Weird, I thought the fronts were suppose to wear out first, but who's complaining.

Great ride - poor mechanical function
By kgal37 on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

Excellent acceleration and handling - good quiet ride. Mechanically the worst car I ever owned - needed transmission replaced at 39,000 miles - under three years old, and since have replaced transmission sensor three times. Engine shot at 97,000 miles. The car had overheated. Seems that engine light is always on and many small electrical problems. At transmission repair shop, many Ford's -Taurus and Windstar in for repair - this transmission should have been recalled. Also, per mechanic, the Taurus has problems with Crankshaft and seals.

Fishbowl
By MaNdA on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Despite the exterior and interior looks of the car, it has been a very reliable and safe car to drive. Holds up great in accidents. Have had no problems even though the car is a FORD.