Used 1997 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Rust Bucket
By Brian Rogers

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Have had this car for five years. It has 104,000 miles on it. Had to replace camshaft position sensor. Other problems include two wheel bearing replacements at 60,000 miles, warped rotors, replaced power steering pump at 98,000. Worst problem if you live in the northeast. The plastic rocker panel trim holds the salt and water against the body along the bottom below the doors. The metal is completely eaten away, and now the car cannot be lifted on an automobile lift.

Taurus GL
By Greg

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I've owned. Proper maintenance and care goes a long ways, I bought this car with 51,000 miles on it and now have almost 150,000 on it. I haven't done much to it except proper maintenance like regular oil changes, tire rotation, cooling and tranny flushing, and brakes. I live in a cold weather climate and has never failed at starting and it never gets plugged in. Regular maintenance on any car will go a long ways.

Favorite Features

Body hasn't rusted, roomy car for a big guy, back seats flip down, excellent acceleration, motor is quiet.

overall opinion
By ford taurus

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This was my first Ford. Mechanically, it is the best car I have owned. Except for emission control repairs, the car has never been in the shop. I replaced the steering stabilizers at 128,000 miles and the idler pulley at 136,500 myself.

Favorite Features

Mechanically sound.

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard/control panel separation immediately in front of steering wheel due to excessive heat from sunlight.

I think we had a lemon.
By denise

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

The Taurus has a great ride and is comfortable. We had many problems with the transmission beginning at 60,000 miles. It's ultimate demise came when the catalytic converter went bad on us at 70,000 miles. We drove the car until it finally stopped at 85,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride and nice sound system.

Don't be so hard on Taurus
By Lynn Daczyk

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This has been a good utility and trip vehicle for me. Normal maintenance. Worst problem was blowing a freeze plug at 130,000 miles and, with my not watching the temp gauge, ruined the engine. Replacement was reasonable (lucky me, on a trip!) and it's been running fine, now at 150,000. Gas mileage is 26 in the city, 30 on trips. Doesn't use oil.

Favorite Features

My standards aren't that high; seeing I run my cars "into the ground". It handles great in winter conditions. I also love that it doesn't rust out!

Suggested Improvements

Wiper fluid mechanism responsiveness.