1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
My Taurus
By mccamp on 02/10/05 10:26 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Although car had been used as a dealer demo, I have found it to be reliable, comfortable, good mileage and an all around excellent buy. The interior has held up, the exterior has done very good and the handling is great. I don't speed or drive recklessly but do travel. I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and believe that has a lot to do with its longevity. It is comfortable, I appreciate the electric seats being a shorter person. I find the adjustable steering wheel an added bonus. The "lumbar" on the driver seat is great! The electric seat is great for short legged people. Electric mirrors a REAL plus when big trucks pull too close - shine lights back at them from mirrors.

97 Ford Taurus trash!
By ArthurR on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

LOOKS ARE DECEIVING! FREEMONT FORD VERY DISHONEST! Have not bought a Ford since! Nice car, BUT transmission goes out at 40K as per transmissions shops used to say it was the #1 car in for a new transmission. Brakes notorious for going out at the same time as well as a # of other expensive mechanical problems. Dealership was very irresponsible and tried to always shrug off warranty responsibilities as well as recall which cost me a 30 day rental car. Stabilizer bars bent and dealer said they would cover it under warranty if their was no sign of them hitting any object. When they realized no sign of them being hit by an accident etc.. they then refused to cover it. I bet FORD is now begging.

Started when I bought it....
By TashaKathryn on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

When I bought the vehicle, I thought i had found the one. WRONG. I have replaced brakes 6 times and rotors 3 times. Inside light has a major problem and will sometimes not turn off. Also windows leak air. Transmissn started slipping at 90k and is now about to die @ 119k. The car is very comfortable and pretty durable, but I am disappointed in the maintence.

recall tranny
By fordsarebest on 09/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

i bought my taurus in 2000 and i love my car but the transmission kicks out of gear often when i stop at redlight or turnoff.i took it to ford garage and theysaid it was a problem with all of them from that year. i think they should recall these cars for safety reasons and fix the problem.Other than that I love how it drives still and gas mileage is decent for a big car but could have been better.very comfortable on long trip,and has the best engine (3.0) I think has ever been built.

SHO - The only Taurus I'd own
By RedGeminiPA on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I bought my '97 SHO with 105,996 miles. Since then I've driven about 3,000 miles with no major problems. I did have the driver's side tierod end replaced because it was getting dry (no grease fittings) and very noisy. It will soon need ball joints for the same reason (drying out). My average mileage is between 20 - 22 mpg. Car looks great - black metalic w/ chrome wheels... real head-turner! Mach Audio, moonroof, tan leather, factory cell phone - tons of features for this class! 4-wheel air ride is great on highways, but rough on bumps. Yamaha 32V V8 has good power and nice exhaust note. Will need suspension work - noisy. I paid $5995.00. Nice for the $.

Pretty, but high maintenance
By Rob in Peoria on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I liked the looks, but wish I had done more homework before buying. In little over a year we've put more money into this car than we paid for it - new tranny, brakes (twice!), and tires. Hopefully I can help someone else keep from getting sucked in by the sporty appearance - if you love your mechanic, or more specifically, love making his boat payments, buy this car. It also rides rough and is noisy (wind noise is terrible)

my first car
By ccbabe1689 on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

When I got this car, my battery DIED the second day I had it. Now it starts up funny. Transmission is iffy but otherwise the car is great.

comfortable car
By anynomous on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Nice car. Transmission needs improvement. It seems to pause in between shifts. Descent gas mileage. Car is comfortable for long trips and the trunk feels bigger than my 94 cherokee.

Taurus
By Bob Woods on 04/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This sedan is fun to drive, its like a sports car but hauls four people in comfort. Mileage is less than I would like, 24 highway 19-20 city. Has some wind noise at high speeds in crosswinds, but on long trips is easy on my back and legs.

do all fords suck?
By tonya ogden on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

problems with the transmission, motor, battery, speed sensor, door panels, heater, windshield wipers, power seats, 2 tires were on the car were the wrong size, and head gaskets, there is more but i lost track.