Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Good car for the price
By Jim

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 2003 with 93K miles on it. The trans was rebuilt at 81k miles (OD went out, trans was never flushed at 30K increments). Now I have 151K on the car and the engine and trans are running great. A must have, is the 3.0 DOHC engine. The bad points are that it eats up front rotors. I change them every 6-8 months. Also, ball joints and front brgs had to be replaced, along with various emissions sensors and engine hoses. Normal stuff, when over 100K? I do most of the repairs myself. If I had to take it to a dealer for repairs, I'd be broke! Dealer parts and labor costs are expensive! But, for the price of the car and the great gas mileage, 26 mpg average, you can't beat it.

Favorite Features

Sporty look and feel, for a wagon? Great gas mileage, 26-30 mpg. lots of room for the family.

Suggested Improvements

Front brake rotors. (Rear brake rotors are too small, causing front brakes to work harder) Better interior quality and hardware. (Plastics come apart)

It's a Ford, What do you except?
By Crystal

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I got my 97 Taurus a little less than an year ago, and if I had the chance it would take a trip right back were it came from. When the car came to us the battery was dead, and it was a mess such as to it's dirtiness (it was bought out of auction). When we drove the car it had a clunking in the brakes, which that turn into a money spree of new rotors and brakes for all four wheels which never solved the problem till the car died. Which that happened in the first five months of owning it, the cause of the faulty gas gauge a 167 miles left (please try 0) luckly we had AAA to bail us out. After we had it fixed the bill came back for almost a $900 dollars not to count the faulty anti-lock system.

Favorite Features

Not really any favorites to this car.

Suggested Improvements

Brake rotors, brakes, speaker system (right one has a bad runt to it), and can't understand anything. Also work on transmission bugs, the car likes to slip alot and it has a tendency to accelerate around corners slow. Also it leaks oil like no tommrow

Cant kill it
By Brian839297

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This is a great car! I got the car for $400 because someone ran it with no oil after changing the oil. I put a set of lifters, oil pump, and a new cam sensor drive in it a drove it 12,000 miles no problem. I beat on this car pretty bad every day and it always comes back for more lol. For having about $650 in the car I couldnt be happier. It also has the original heads and trans that dont slip!

Favorite Features

Cheap parts, good MPG (22 city, 30 highway), great power, smooth riding, takes abuse well

Suggested Improvements

The tranys in all the older Taurus's shift kind of strange that is it!

Love our Taurus
By artphelps

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Great car. Sorry it is no longer made. Had a power steering whine or moan that was due to a crack in the reservoir, low cost to fix.

Favorite Features

Styling, I like the oval everything! Great mileage: 28 MPG highway! Recommend 205-75R15 tires for a smooth ride.

Just Say No!
By hrfletch

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I thought I got a great deal on this car. Boy, was I wrong, sensor in tranny went out within 3 weeks of purchase. I've spent more on this car than I purchased it for. I heard bad things about Fords before, now I understand why. Everything seems to be set up to cost us more money and put more in Ford's pocket? Had electrical fire with it the other day for no apparent reason. The air conditioner just shut off and it started smoking under the hood. The relay fuse melted and fried the wires and component that the fuse plugs in to. I wish I would've headed advice of friends. This car should have been made more reliable. Ford didn't do a good job on this one. Parts are expensive and are not easily accessible when repairing.

Favorite Features

Spacious trunk, nice space inside. Position of cruise control (on steering wheel)

Suggested Improvements

Transmission and all related sensors. Multiple electrical problems. Still can't figure out what's causing air conditioner problems. Door ajar sensor. Power steering. Two bad window motors. Horrible gas mileage. Bad location of radiator. Not a reliable car.