1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Oh yeah, I love my taurus!
By Pat on 11/11/09 19:13 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

What more can i say about it, i had my ford taurus for about two years as my first car. Nothing in this tank went wrong even as it approached 150,000 miles it still ran strong. I would highly recommend this car for a new driver because it's not overly powerful but enough to get the job done. I just got a new car and let me tell you it was sad to see it go. Over all great first car, it will be missed!

Absolute Best Car Ever
By Brooklyn on 11/02/09 16:38 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

There is absolutely no way that a vehicle could ever score perfect on any single spec, but this car has pulled some pretty crazy stunts for me and has never had any problems internally. Excellent take off, excellent gas mileage compared to more recent cars, and a crap load of interior space; perfect for trips, sonce I've been on plenty with it. My next vehicle will be a 97 Ford Taurus and I will cry when this one explodes or something in a few years.

Taurus for Us!
By TylerW on 09/11/09 09:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

A vehicle which can comfortably seat a six footer, keep two siblings in the back satisfied as well, haul their stuff, and get 30 MPG with a V6 on the highway. You've gotta be kidding me? Nope. This is the 1997 Taurus GL by Ford. A peppy, and ever fuel efficient 3.0 Liter Vulcan V6 powers the car with amazing capability. The exterior and interior of the car are designed to be driver centric, reducing ergonomic stress, and making driving pleasurable. Finally, when you throw it all together, a high quality build makes this the family hauler to own for used purchasers. The 4 speed automatic transmission is well matched on the GL to the 3.0L Vulcan.

So Far, So Good....
By Evan on 06/20/09 22:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

Purchased this Car from my mother who owned it since 2001. Before this though I drove the car on a somewhat regular basis, when I owned a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant. This is my second Taurus (the first was a 1992 GL 3.8 Essex). I like that this body style really opened the interior up. The rear has so much room for passengers and cargo and its a sedan! Im am tall and am most comfortable. The 3.0 vulcan doesnt produce as much torque as the 3.8 did, which is a downer considering how heavy this baby is, but it still has ample passing power and can merge into traffic on the freeway. Transmission can be fumbly at moderate speeds so I try to go easy on it. Design still looks good after 13 years.

I stole it!!
By MasterSmeat on 06/02/09 02:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I just bought a 1997 Taurus LX sedan for my mom. She lives in TX, and I live in CA. Her truck recently bit the dust and she was in bad need of a car but with very little money. I stumbled upon this beauty on Craig's List, and for $400 I had to check it out. The guy told me it would over heat, so I figured that it could only be a few things. Worst case scenario, the radiator is only $84 from rockauto.com. So, I limped it home and started with the cheapest parts first, thermostat, flush, and finally a water pump. So, with two days hard work, $500 and lots of grease and grime, my mom's got a very strong and reliable car which I drove 1300 miles to her without a hiccup!

Nice When It Runs
By John on 04/23/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this 97' Fully loaded taurus gl 22months ago and since it has been one problem after the next, literally. When I purchased the car it needed a muffler and welding done to the holi headders. A couple months later a poppin noise came from the passenger front end, a month or two later I replaced the half shaft. A month later a noise came from the front end again, wheel bearings and tie rod, 170000 miles. A couple months later the car revedded high as I accelerated, trans range sensor, 178k. 7k later the alter and trans gave. Then the waterpump and serp. belt. Last month the coolant resovoir and upper/lower intake gaskets were replaced. Leaks coolant on and off, y? 4 studs broke also, y?

Seems good so far
By Leon on 01/19/09 14:46 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I had the car for about a month. Bought it from an elderly lady. Took excellent care of it. Rides very smooth and have no problems and has a quick V6.

Not Bad
By jman on 09/07/08 16:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Had the car for three years then started to have few problems like head gaskets, hinges for back window etc. and was not the car we had.

Love it
By Angelina0888 on 09/03/08 17:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Ok they do have trouble, yeah mine doesn't start right. The paint is chipping, back window doesn't work right, needs a tune up. But I love it. Better then the 03 Sable I had that broke down at 53000 miles.

Amazing Product
By SixxiA on 06/03/08 13:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

This car was designed to be the most comfortable ride of 1997. As far as reliability goes, my car has sputtered before and had trouble accelerating, but only on occasion and only while cold, but all cars will do that after 100,000 miles. Amazing car, it's got all of the features a consumer needs and average gas mileage. I've repaired the car, but only at the mileage where it would be expected.