1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
The Taurus a great choice
By Farmer Joe on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I think the Taurus is a good car. It will always start and we never have to take it to the shop, ecept the motor for the window broke. Our last one, an 89 Taurus Wagon, that thing went about 113,000 miles before the transmission started to slip and it was just getting old. Then we bought the one we have now. I think there is a lot of interior room in the car. I am content with it, and I would buy another one if there was a good price on a used one, just like all of our cars. We also have a 95 Mercury Sable wich has not given us any trouble. So these American cars are great, I would request this to anyone who wants a good midsize car.

SHO and GO
By fordfever on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Very reliable. Great ride and performance. Engine is awesome with 235 horsepower...very fun to drive. This car has alot of high end features such as CD, moon roof, leather and more. Alot of car for the money.

Nothing to brag about.
By baleo on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought used. Price was right. Needed trans at 65000. Good thing we had extended warranty. Otherwise okay. Took on a few trips long trips, 800+ miles. Ride on highway is good. In town ride mediocre. Interior design confortable, good driver and passenger seats. Will keep until it dies because no resale value.

Excellent car for your money!
By felixc1976 on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 97 for $17k with all possible options. I've driven 60k miles in 5 years with practically no problems! I bought an extened warranty for 7 years and feel safe. This is a quality car with all possible options for much less money than Camry or Maxima. I recommend buying 2 yr old loaded SEL Taurus for $13k + $1k for extended warranty and driving it till 100k mi. I'm not sure it will survive afterwards, but by that time you will want a new car anyway. However, you will save a lot of money for the next car!

A Good Auto
By Geo on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

This has been a great car for me. I owned at 1994 Taurus Wagon and traded for this one. I think it handles well on the road, get 23 to 28 mpg,and even my wife likes the car. My only complaint is that it is a bit noisy on the road, but for a station wagon not bad. I am looking to trade it in for a newer model with less miles ... this one has 83,000 on it right now. I have not had any problem with this car.

Do Not Buy a Ford
By KarenT on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Just after warranty expired, transmission went out at 48,000 miles. We live in Germany in support of US military and Ford was of absolutely NO help. These cars are not built with European specs so it took us 6 months and $2500 to get it fixed. Again, no help from Ford! We have had problem after problem with things such as broken seat belt, interior door coming loose, broken CD player, etc...

Transmission stinks!
By darrin on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

why did I have to replace the transmission 2 times in 58,000 miles? This is not acceptable, but common in the Taurus. What about a recall?

97 SHO Hi Mileage
By donmont on 03/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

After 4 1/2 years I still love this car. It runs great, is decent on gas and performs way better than a standard Taurus. Regular maintenance keeps it running well with 110K miles and no end in sight.

Reliable transportation
By Boyd on 03/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Taurus now for 4 years and so far (72000K) have had absolutely no problems with it. This is my first purchase of an American car in 20 years and for the price I am extremely pleased. It has enough pep to pass when I want to and is relatively good on gas. I like the small things like cup holder; 6 can comfortably fit in the car. Big trunk for my golf clubs ! Yes, I will definitely look at another American car the next time I buy.