Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

SHO - The only Taurus I'd own
By RedGeminiPA

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I bought my '97 SHO with 105,996 miles. Since then I've driven about 3,000 miles with no major problems. I did have the driver's side tierod end replaced because it was getting dry (no grease fittings) and very noisy. It will soon need ball joints for the same reason (drying out). My average mileage is between 20 - 22 mpg. Car looks great - black metalic w/ chrome wheels... real head-turner! Mach Audio, moonroof, tan leather, factory cell phone - tons of features for this class! 4-wheel air ride is great on highways, but rough on bumps. Yamaha 32V V8 has good power and nice exhaust note. Will need suspension work - noisy. I paid $5995.00. Nice for the $.

Overall style is great. Mach Audio has good sound. 32 valve Yamaha V-8 - 235 hp. Comfortable leather interior. Moonroof. 16" Chrome wheels. Handles nice. Decent gas mileage for a V-8. Low insurance cost - $18 / year less than my 2001 Saturn L200 (4 cyl). Auto climate control is nice.

Put grease fitting on the joints! Cup holders are worthless. Interior rattles over every bump. CD changer skips over most bumps. Wiper speeds don't work correctly. Interior door panels are working loose. All minor problems expected with age and mileage.

Pretty, but high maintenance
By Rob in Peoria

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I liked the looks, but wish I had done more homework before buying. In little over a year we've put more money into this car than we paid for it - new tranny, brakes (twice!), and tires. Hopefully I can help someone else keep from getting sucked in by the sporty appearance - if you love your mechanic, or more specifically, love making his boat payments, buy this car. It also rides rough and is noisy (wind noise is terrible)

Sporty exterior, moderate gas mileage, comfortable seats, lots of trunk space.

Fix the tranismission, larger brake rotors (so they don't overheat and warp under normal driving conditions) make the windows a bit more airtight so they don't scream in highway wind speeds.

my first car
By ccbabe1689

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

When I got this car, my battery DIED the second day I had it. Now it starts up funny. Transmission is iffy but otherwise the car is great.

comfy seats, lots of room in back and trunk.

transmission.

comfortable car
By anynomous

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Nice car. Transmission needs improvement. It seems to pause in between shifts. Descent gas mileage. Car is comfortable for long trips and the trunk feels bigger than my 94 cherokee.

trunk, comfort, cd changer

transmission

Taurus
By Bob Woods

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This sedan is fun to drive, its like a sports car but hauls four people in comfort. Mileage is less than I would like, 24 highway 19-20 city. Has some wind noise at high speeds in crosswinds, but on long trips is easy on my back and legs.

• SUV