1997 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
loved it but it didn't love me
By katepaints on 05/21/11 18:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I loved this car; got it new. Two years into it, it kept shorting out so I couldn't keep lights on auto. Needed a new ignition before 50K. At six years the transmission needed overhauling after it died. With all the technical updates it ran much better. A year later at 129K the engine died. Ford in its infinite wisdom had put a race car engine in it so I really couldn't replace the engine at a reasonable cost. I was incredibly disappointed as I had been very good at maintenance and upkeep. I walked away and bought a '96 Jeep Cherokee which was a lot more reliable.

Good car for the price
By Jim on 05/10/08 17:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 2003 with 93K miles on it. The trans was rebuilt at 81k miles (OD went out, trans was never flushed at 30K increments). Now I have 151K on the car and the engine and trans are running great. A must have, is the 3.0 DOHC engine. The bad points are that it eats up front rotors. I change them every 6-8 months. Also, ball joints and front brgs had to be replaced, along with various emissions sensors and engine hoses. Normal stuff, when over 100K? I do most of the repairs myself. If I had to take it to a dealer for repairs, I'd be broke! Dealer parts and labor costs are expensive! But, for the price of the car and the great gas mileage, 26 mpg average, you can't beat it.

Love our Taurus
By artphelps on 07/19/07 17:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Great car. Sorry it is no longer made. Had a power steering whine or moan that was due to a crack in the reservoir, low cost to fix.

Love this car
By David on 10/09/06 20:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This car has been a super purchase. It fits a family of 5 (me, wife, 3 kids) and luggage in the back or on top. I can even separate the kids and put some in the back rumble seat to keep them quiet and at peace. The added tow package has made towing a pop-up camper or small trailer easy and made this vehicle even more flexible. SUPER gas mileage and great reliability. The only challenge has been meeting the VERY strict NY state emissions standards with the California engine, but we finally solved the emission sensor issues and life is good. I only wish it had a CD player!

This is a good car but!
By Fanula on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

The best part of this car is it seats eight. Very few vans even do this. We changed fuel pump at 55,000 miles (This year0. Door clips come off, and AC not best. Makes noise driving on steep hills except when on premium gas. Handles well in wind on highway.

A Good Auto
By Geo on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This has been a great car for me. I owned at 1994 Taurus Wagon and traded for this one. I think it handles well on the road, get 23 to 28 mpg,and even my wife likes the car. My only complaint is that it is a bit noisy on the road, but for a station wagon not bad. I am looking to trade it in for a newer model with less miles ... this one has 83,000 on it right now. I have not had any problem with this car.