Used 1997 Ford Taurus LX Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

loved it but it didn't love me
By katepaints

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I loved this car; got it new. Two years into it, it kept shorting out so I couldn't keep lights on auto. Needed a new ignition before 50K. At six years the transmission needed overhauling after it died. With all the technical updates it ran much better. A year later at 129K the engine died. Ford in its infinite wisdom had put a race car engine in it so I really couldn't replace the engine at a reasonable cost. I was incredibly disappointed as I had been very good at maintenance and upkeep. I walked away and bought a '96 Jeep Cherokee which was a lot more reliable.

Instrument panel very good; power seat great for short drivers. Loved the design.

Overhaul transmission design. Make a car that's truly built to last.

Good car for the price
By Jim

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 2003 with 93K miles on it. The trans was rebuilt at 81k miles (OD went out, trans was never flushed at 30K increments). Now I have 151K on the car and the engine and trans are running great. A must have, is the 3.0 DOHC engine. The bad points are that it eats up front rotors. I change them every 6-8 months. Also, ball joints and front brgs had to be replaced, along with various emissions sensors and engine hoses. Normal stuff, when over 100K? I do most of the repairs myself. If I had to take it to a dealer for repairs, I'd be broke! Dealer parts and labor costs are expensive! But, for the price of the car and the great gas mileage, 26 mpg average, you can't beat it.

Sporty look and feel, for a wagon? Great gas mileage, 26-30 mpg. lots of room for the family.

Front brake rotors. (Rear brake rotors are too small, causing front brakes to work harder) Better interior quality and hardware. (Plastics come apart)

Love our Taurus
By artphelps

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Great car. Sorry it is no longer made. Had a power steering whine or moan that was due to a crack in the reservoir, low cost to fix.

Styling, I like the oval everything! Great mileage: 28 MPG highway! Recommend 205-75R15 tires for a smooth ride.

Love this car
By David

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This car has been a super purchase. It fits a family of 5 (me, wife, 3 kids) and luggage in the back or on top. I can even separate the kids and put some in the back rumble seat to keep them quiet and at peace. The added tow package has made towing a pop-up camper or small trailer easy and made this vehicle even more flexible. SUPER gas mileage and great reliability. The only challenge has been meeting the VERY strict NY state emissions standards with the California engine, but we finally solved the emission sensor issues and life is good. I only wish it had a CD player!

Rear third row seat, luggage rack, power window locks, GREAT A/C.

CD player. More reliable door lock switch on drivers side - it's flaky (but so am i after all these years).

This is a good car but!
By Fanula

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

The best part of this car is it seats eight. Very few vans even do this. We changed fuel pump at 55,000 miles (This year0. Door clips come off, and AC not best. Makes noise driving on steep hills except when on premium gas. Handles well in wind on highway.

You feel safe driving it in adverse conditions.

Door clips, All the little things that make you feel like it is cheaply made. Resale is terrible, force to hang on to it.