Used 1997 Ford Taurus Wagon Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Old ford still runs but it costs to run.
By Gordon

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car certified preowned in 2001 with 37k on it. At 42k it needed a camshaft sensor, 46k new struts, 55k cat converter and power windows. 67K the transmission needed replaced and replaced again at 99k. At 100k ac, radiator, crankshaft sensor, wheel bearings, windshield wiper motor and struts again, had to be replaced. We bought this for $14,000 and the resell value five years later was $2600. It still runs but we don't drive it much anymore. Piece of junk.

loved it but it didn't love me
By katepaints

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I loved this car; got it new. Two years into it, it kept shorting out so I couldn't keep lights on auto.
Needed a new ignition before 50K. At six years the transmission needed overhauling after it died. With all the technical updates it ran much better. A year later at 129K the engine died. Ford in its infinite wisdom had put a race car engine in it so I really couldn't replace the engine at a reasonable cost.
I was incredibly disappointed as I had been very good at maintenance and upkeep. I walked away and bought a '96 Jeep Cherokee which was a lot more reliable.

Instrument panel very good; power seat great for short drivers. Loved the design.

Overhaul transmission design. Make a car that's truly built to last.

Not Bad
By jman

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Had the car for three years then started to have few problems like head gaskets, hinges for back window etc. and was not the car we had.

A/C, MPG, seats

Engine repair difficulty

Love it
By Angelina0888

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Ok they do have trouble, yeah mine doesn't start right. The paint is chipping, back window doesn't work right, needs a tune up. But I love it. Better then the 03 Sable I had that broke down at 53000 miles.

She goes

Electric, mostly doors and windows. And forget electric AC controls, they mess up everything

Good car for the price
By Jim

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 2003 with 93K miles on it. The trans was rebuilt at 81k miles (OD went out, trans was never flushed at 30K increments). Now I have 151K on the car and the engine and trans are running great. A must have, is the 3.0 DOHC engine. The bad points are that it eats up front rotors. I change them every 6-8 months. Also, ball joints and front brgs had to be replaced, along with various emissions sensors and engine hoses. Normal stuff, when over 100K? I do most of the repairs myself. If I had to take it to a dealer for repairs, I'd be broke! Dealer parts and labor costs are expensive! But, for the price of the car and the great gas mileage, 26 mpg average, you can't beat it.

Sporty look and feel, for a wagon? Great gas mileage, 26-30 mpg. lots of room for the family.

Front brake rotors. (Rear brake rotors are too small, causing front brakes to work harder) Better interior quality and hardware. (Plastics come apart)