Used 1997 Ford Taurus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

loved it but it didn't love me
By katepaints

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I loved this car; got it new. Two years into it, it kept shorting out so I couldn't keep lights on auto. Needed a new ignition before 50K. At six years the transmission needed overhauling after it died. With all the technical updates it ran much better. A year later at 129K the engine died. Ford in its infinite wisdom had put a race car engine in it so I really couldn't replace the engine at a reasonable cost. I was incredibly disappointed as I had been very good at maintenance and upkeep. I walked away and bought a '96 Jeep Cherokee which was a lot more reliable.

Favorite Features

Instrument panel very good; power seat great for short drivers. Loved the design.

Suggested Improvements

Overhaul transmission design. Make a car that's truly built to last.

Love our Taurus
By artphelps

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Great car. Sorry it is no longer made. Had a power steering whine or moan that was due to a crack in the reservoir, low cost to fix.

Favorite Features

Styling, I like the oval everything! Great mileage: 28 MPG highway! Recommend 205-75R15 tires for a smooth ride.

Love it
By Angelina0888

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Ok they do have trouble, yeah mine doesn't start right. The paint is chipping, back window doesn't work right, needs a tune up. But I love it. Better then the 03 Sable I had that broke down at 53000 miles.

Favorite Features

She goes

Suggested Improvements

Electric, mostly doors and windows. And forget electric AC controls, they mess up everything

Not Bad
By jman

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Had the car for three years then started to have few problems like head gaskets, hinges for back window etc. and was not the car we had.

Favorite Features

A/C, MPG, seats

Suggested Improvements

Engine repair difficulty

Good car for the price
By Jim

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 2003 with 93K miles on it. The trans was rebuilt at 81k miles (OD went out, trans was never flushed at 30K increments). Now I have 151K on the car and the engine and trans are running great. A must have, is the 3.0 DOHC engine. The bad points are that it eats up front rotors. I change them every 6-8 months. Also, ball joints and front brgs had to be replaced, along with various emissions sensors and engine hoses. Normal stuff, when over 100K? I do most of the repairs myself. If I had to take it to a dealer for repairs, I'd be broke! Dealer parts and labor costs are expensive! But, for the price of the car and the great gas mileage, 26 mpg average, you can't beat it.

Favorite Features

Sporty look and feel, for a wagon? Great gas mileage, 26-30 mpg. lots of room for the family.

Suggested Improvements

Front brake rotors. (Rear brake rotors are too small, causing front brakes to work harder) Better interior quality and hardware. (Plastics come apart)