1997 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
loved it but it didn't love me
By katepaints on 05/21/11 18:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I loved this car; got it new. Two years into it, it kept shorting out so I couldn't keep lights on auto. Needed a new ignition before 50K. At six years the transmission needed overhauling after it died. With all the technical updates it ran much better. A year later at 129K the engine died. Ford in its infinite wisdom had put a race car engine in it so I really couldn't replace the engine at a reasonable cost. I was incredibly disappointed as I had been very good at maintenance and upkeep. I walked away and bought a '96 Jeep Cherokee which was a lot more reliable.

Not Bad
By jman on 09/07/08 16:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Had the car for three years then started to have few problems like head gaskets, hinges for back window etc. and was not the car we had.

Love it
By Angelina0888 on 09/03/08 17:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Ok they do have trouble, yeah mine doesn't start right. The paint is chipping, back window doesn't work right, needs a tune up. But I love it. Better then the 03 Sable I had that broke down at 53000 miles.

Good car for the price
By Jim on 05/10/08 17:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 2003 with 93K miles on it. The trans was rebuilt at 81k miles (OD went out, trans was never flushed at 30K increments). Now I have 151K on the car and the engine and trans are running great. A must have, is the 3.0 DOHC engine. The bad points are that it eats up front rotors. I change them every 6-8 months. Also, ball joints and front brgs had to be replaced, along with various emissions sensors and engine hoses. Normal stuff, when over 100K? I do most of the repairs myself. If I had to take it to a dealer for repairs, I'd be broke! Dealer parts and labor costs are expensive! But, for the price of the car and the great gas mileage, 26 mpg average, you can't beat it.

Love our Taurus
By artphelps on 07/19/07 17:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Great car. Sorry it is no longer made. Had a power steering whine or moan that was due to a crack in the reservoir, low cost to fix.

Love this car
By David on 10/09/06 20:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This car has been a super purchase. It fits a family of 5 (me, wife, 3 kids) and luggage in the back or on top. I can even separate the kids and put some in the back rumble seat to keep them quiet and at peace. The added tow package has made towing a pop-up camper or small trailer easy and made this vehicle even more flexible. SUPER gas mileage and great reliability. The only challenge has been meeting the VERY strict NY state emissions standards with the California engine, but we finally solved the emission sensor issues and life is good. I only wish it had a CD player!

RELIABLE
By Jeroen Walstra on 01/06/06 20:02 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

The car cost me $3070 in repairs over 5 years. We had very few problems and provided ample space for a family of 5. Even friends can be taken along as a result of the folding seat in the back.

Reliable and inexpensive
By David on 10/25/05 19:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Ours was in good condition when purchased at 86,000 miles, requiring only fluids and filters. In the 40,000 miles since then there has been one problem (camshaft position sensor - car was still drivable), and everything else was wear and tear related. A few annoyances - wind noise on passenger side, rusty A pillar on driver side, some misaligned interior trim pieces - but overall it's very likable - it has a "Millennium Falcon" appeal with the swoopy styling and all the junk you can carry inside. Transmission seems a little delicate (overheated the fluid while driving to Big Bear from LA and needed it flushed). Wouldn't buy one new because of depreciation, but it's a great used-car buy.

Spacious, inexpensive, and smooth
By HT on 07/21/05 04:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

This is a great used wagon for the money if you can find one that has been used gently, i.e., was maintained on conservative intervals. There's easily enough room for 5 people, and the cargo space is truly enormous. The base Vulcan engine (145 hp) lacks power but is quiet and smooth. The upside of the car's tremendous weight is its stability and, while no one wants to go head to head with an SUV, this biggie wagon feels solid. I've been quite happy.

Very Reliable
By broberts on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new in 1997 and it has been very reliable. I wish the gas mileage was better as my overall average is only 20. 27-28 on long highway trips.