1997 Ford Taurus SHO - Consumer Reviews

SHO 3.4L V8 4-speed Automatic - (9 reviews )
Norbeck's 97' SHO
By Robert Norbeck on 11/16/06 21:25 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

The experience you get while driving is great. I usually get tired with a vehicle after two years. I'll have this car for three in approximately three month's and I haven't gotten tired with it yet and I don't think I ever will. This car is a keeper!

Decent car, but hard to repair
By Perry Reed on 05/02/05 12:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

The SHO is a fun-to-drive vehicle. Although the ride is somewhat harsh, it handles well and has more than adequate power. Mileage is decent for a car with this much power. The interior is well-laid out and the controls are easy to reach. The car is well-optioned, and includes climate control, which is nice to have. My major concern is the poor camshaft design, which really ruined the owning experience of this vehicle for me. Also, they could have made sure that parts are more readily available. For example, the electronically-controlled suspension has unique, expensive struts. They would have been well- advised to update the V6 from the previous SHO's rather than go with a new V8.

SHO - The only Taurus I'd own
By RedGeminiPA on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I bought my '97 SHO with 105,996 miles. Since then I've driven about 3,000 miles with no major problems. I did have the driver's side tierod end replaced because it was getting dry (no grease fittings) and very noisy. It will soon need ball joints for the same reason (drying out). My average mileage is between 20 - 22 mpg. Car looks great - black metalic w/ chrome wheels... real head-turner! Mach Audio, moonroof, tan leather, factory cell phone - tons of features for this class! 4-wheel air ride is great on highways, but rough on bumps. Yamaha 32V V8 has good power and nice exhaust note. Will need suspension work - noisy. I paid $5995.00. Nice for the $.

Love the SHO
By Jay P on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought a black 97 SHO a little over a year ago. Have to say that I love the car. I have put 15,000 miles on the car and have not had any problems. It's definately a sleeper. Luxurious as well.

Truely Awesome
By jmac on 09/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

After careful research, I decided to go for it and purchase a SHO! 97 British Green fully loaded. all the claims that I read were pretty much on the mark. the car looks great and handles very well, car has 54000 miles and it looks as good as it did the first day it rolled out of the showroom. Plenty of room and very comfortable. great acceleration and it will eat up bmrs and stangs!

Ford please bring back the SHO
By Ed Kimmel on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

These cars were one of the best buys in automotive history, when looking for my second SHO I wanted to create the original feeling with a 5-speed and a hot clutch, but ford had eliminated the manual models. the 1997 British racing green SHO has every option including a hand free car phone, C.D. changer in the trunk and some really beautiful wheels to boot. great lines with really great performance, (even the gas mileage is 19\24 is good) at 71500 miles nothing but the antenna mast has had to be replaced, also 1 battery and a new set of tires at 42599. I would highly endorse these cars for their performance for $$ equation , its it great!!

SHO Me
By tkymasters on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

The SHO is a great performance sedan, but with many Engineering flaws. This sleeper vehicle can come out of the box like a bat out of hell. Yet, you could throw a baby seat in the back and go for a Sunday drive. Handling is awesome with the McPherson Struts.

SHO and GO
By fordfever on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Very reliable. Great ride and performance. Engine is awesome with 235 horsepower...very fun to drive. This car has alot of high end features such as CD, moon roof, leather and more. Alot of car for the money.

97 SHO Hi Mileage
By donmont on 03/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

After 4 1/2 years I still love this car. It runs great, is decent on gas and performs way better than a standard Taurus. Regular maintenance keeps it running well with 110K miles and no end in sight.