Used 1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus SHO - Consumer Reviews

SHO 3.4L V8 4-speed Automatic - (9 reviews )

Norbeck's 97' SHO
By Robert Norbeck

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

The experience you get while driving is great. I usually get tired with a vehicle after two years. I'll have this car for three in approximately three month's and I haven't gotten tired with it yet and I don't think I ever will. This car is a keeper!

There really isn't anything that I don't like. Other then I can't find a new pump for the driver's seat.

The only problem I have other then normal wear and tear items is that the driver seat has an air pump built in for more support while driving. My pump still works put the fitting broke off where the line attaches. You can no longer find the pump in order to fix it. The pump should have been made better.

Decent car, but hard to repair
By Perry Reed

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

The SHO is a fun-to-drive vehicle. Although the ride is somewhat harsh, it handles well and has more than adequate power. Mileage is decent for a car with this much power. The interior is well-laid out and the controls are easy to reach. The car is well-optioned, and includes climate control, which is nice to have. My major concern is the poor camshaft design, which really ruined the owning experience of this vehicle for me. Also, they could have made sure that parts are more readily available. For example, the electronically-controlled suspension has unique, expensive struts. They would have been well- advised to update the V6 from the previous SHO's rather than go with a new V8.

The drivetrain is the strength of the car. Ride is comfortable on long trips. A ton of optional equipment. Sound system is one of the best I have heard in a stock auto.

Where Ford really messed up is the splined camshaft sprocket. When mine failed at 46K miles, it caused $2100 worth of damage and took 7 weeks to repair. Parts are hard to come by (struts), and repairs that are straight-forward on other cars are difficult on this one: the spark plugs took 4 hours!

SHO - The only Taurus I'd own
By RedGeminiPA

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I bought my '97 SHO with 105,996 miles. Since then I've driven about 3,000 miles with no major problems. I did have the driver's side tierod end replaced because it was getting dry (no grease fittings) and very noisy. It will soon need ball joints for the same reason (drying out). My average mileage is between 20 - 22 mpg. Car looks great - black metalic w/ chrome wheels... real head-turner! Mach Audio, moonroof, tan leather, factory cell phone - tons of features for this class! 4-wheel air ride is great on highways, but rough on bumps. Yamaha 32V V8 has good power and nice exhaust note. Will need suspension work - noisy. I paid $5995.00. Nice for the $.

Overall style is great. Mach Audio has good sound. 32 valve Yamaha V-8 - 235 hp. Comfortable leather interior. Moonroof. 16" Chrome wheels. Handles nice. Decent gas mileage for a V-8. Low insurance cost - $18 / year less than my 2001 Saturn L200 (4 cyl). Auto climate control is nice.

Put grease fitting on the joints! Cup holders are worthless. Interior rattles over every bump. CD changer skips over most bumps. Wiper speeds don't work correctly. Interior door panels are working loose. All minor problems expected with age and mileage.

Love the SHO
By Jay P

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

Bought a black 97 SHO a little over a year ago. Have to say that I love the car. I have put 15,000 miles on the car and have not had any problems. It's definately a sleeper. Luxurious as well.

V8 engine that you can really hear if you open up the intake. Nice leather buckets, nice sound system, moonroof, etc...

Manual transmission, 300 horespower

Truely Awesome
By jmac

1997 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

After careful research, I decided to go for it and purchase a SHO! 97 British Green fully loaded. all the claims that I read were pretty much on the mark. the car looks great and handles very well, car has 54000 miles and it looks as good as it did the first day it rolled out of the showroom. Plenty of room and very comfortable. great acceleration and it will eat up bmrs and stangs!

Sleeper! seems like the police let it roll by as a 4 door family car. Good on gas.

for about a $1000 this car can push 300 hp, ford should have sold it that way!