1997 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Importance of Maintenance
By Richard on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

Bought new now have 112,000 miles. Has been excellent mechanically. Got 80,000 miles out of front brakes. Have changed oil 32 times, serviced trans 4 times, changed fuel filter 3 times, tuned it twice, replaced battery twice and I'm only on my third set of tires. Only major work 2 oxygen sensors. It's a great workhorse of a car. Not great fit and finish but it runs great. Goes like a bat out of h-e-double hockey sticks, excuse the language.

Extremely Reliable Daily Driver
By AdamB5000 on 07/04/10 17:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in April, 2001 with 28,186 miles. It now has 118,000+ miles in July of 2010. It's been mostly flawless. There have been a few repairs here and there, such as a brake line, ball joints, shocks, rotors, pads, etc, but most of this has been few and far between (minus the brakes!) and overall ownership cost has been very low. The brakes seem to be the only reoccurring problem. Rotors seem to get warped easily and I'm an easy braker. Seems they get replaced annually. I hate to sell this thing because it's so reliable but technically worth almost nothing. I don't want to sell a car that has been so reliable and will only get me back a couple grand at best.

So Far, So Good....
By Evan on 06/20/09 22:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

Purchased this Car from my mother who owned it since 2001. Before this though I drove the car on a somewhat regular basis, when I owned a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant. This is my second Taurus (the first was a 1992 GL 3.8 Essex). I like that this body style really opened the interior up. The rear has so much room for passengers and cargo and its a sedan! Im am tall and am most comfortable. The 3.0 vulcan doesnt produce as much torque as the 3.8 did, which is a downer considering how heavy this baby is, but it still has ample passing power and can merge into traffic on the freeway. Transmission can be fumbly at moderate speeds so I try to go easy on it. Design still looks good after 13 years.

Amazing Product
By SixxiA on 06/03/08 13:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

This car was designed to be the most comfortable ride of 1997. As far as reliability goes, my car has sputtered before and had trouble accelerating, but only on occasion and only while cold, but all cars will do that after 100,000 miles. Amazing car, it's got all of the features a consumer needs and average gas mileage. I've repaired the car, but only at the mileage where it would be expected.

I think we had a lemon.
By denise on 11/13/06 11:45 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

The Taurus has a great ride and is comfortable. We had many problems with the transmission beginning at 60,000 miles. It's ultimate demise came when the catalytic converter went bad on us at 70,000 miles. We drove the car until it finally stopped at 85,000 miles.

major headaches
By bigstan on 09/20/05 16:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

The Taurus is definitely made to be a throw away car. The car had a rebuilt transmission when I bought it and I had to replace the tranny again at 102,000 miles. Now at 140,000, it is slipping again. The oil pan is now leaking as well and the a/c just went out, Had to replace speed sensor as well, cost $500 bucks. It rides rough, is loud, and uses brakes up very fast. I take great care of my cars and wonder how much trouble I would have had if I didn't. I am now giving up on Fords.

my first car
By ccbabe1689 on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

When I got this car, my battery DIED the second day I had it. Now it starts up funny. Transmission is iffy but otherwise the car is great.

Great ride - poor mechanical function
By kgal37 on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

Excellent acceleration and handling - good quiet ride. Mechanically the worst car I ever owned - needed transmission replaced at 39,000 miles - under three years old, and since have replaced transmission sensor three times. Engine shot at 97,000 miles. The car had overheated. Seems that engine light is always on and many small electrical problems. At transmission repair shop, many Ford's -Taurus and Windstar in for repair - this transmission should have been recalled. Also, per mechanic, the Taurus has problems with Crankshaft and seals.