Used 1997 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

RIP 97 Taurus
By homerrocks2

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

It (to me) was a very ugly car at first and I thought it was a piece of junk, but the style grew on me. I didn't realize how comfortable and nice it was until we lost her and got a ZX2 (talk about small, haha)

Favorite Features

Easy reach radio Power windows/door locks Power seat Hidden cup holders/tape holders "bench seat" type front seat

Suggested Improvements

No CD player

'Old Faithful' will be missed
By sean2011

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my dad (who owned it since 2004 when it had 119,000 miles) when gave it to me in 2009 when it had 210,000 miles after he bought a another car in 2009. In the time that it has been in my family, we had spent very little in repairs for it even after the time my dad ran over a deer with it in 2006 going 60. I was inpress how well it took to being driven hard and during northern MI winters it drove through snow as well as my buddies AWD Subaru did. Sadly, I reacently had to give her up after the orgional tranny seized up after 238,956 miles. I would definitely be concerding another Taurus for my next car.

Favorite Features

Extremely reliable, surprisingly roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Ugly exterior design. Why would Ford make a car look like a jellybean?

Pretty good car
By madison77

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My car is 14 years old and still running. Bought it used when it was 3 years old with 29,000 miles. It now has 123, something miles and still runs okay. I've experienced problems time to time. Typical for an older car. My car likes to leak fluids a lot and burns oil in the engine area not the exhaust since I try to keep on top of the oil resovoir. My car has a problem with the door jam sensor. When I get in the car and close the door the car door sensor thinks the door is still open when it actually is closed. To this day it still does it and it drives me nuts but I don't want to spend money on fixing this problem. Its not worth it. Car still has good acceleration. I hate the fuel milage.

Favorite Features

I love the comfort of this car, especially in the back. For six speakers really good sound system. Not as good as my Mustang I used to have but second to best. Very spacious trunk. You can get lost in there, haha

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel milage, I know this is a family car and fuel milage will be low but I think the camry has a little bit better fuel milage than this car and the camry is a family car. fix the leaky problems. My radiator is terrible with this. I have nothing but radiator problems when it comes to leaks. Oil leaks but not as bad as my radiator. Had my transmission leak fixed which is good. I've heard nightmare stories about transmissions going out in this car but to this day had not one problem with my transmission yet. I am praying it won't happen soon. I plan on keeping this car until it dies. Hopefully it will last me two more years.

Importance of Maintenance
By Richard

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan G 4dr Sedan

Bought new now have 112,000 miles. Has been excellent mechanically. Got 80,000 miles out of front brakes. Have changed oil 32 times, serviced trans 4 times, changed fuel filter 3 times, tuned it twice, replaced battery twice and I'm only on my third set of tires. Only major work 2 oxygen sensors. It's a great workhorse of a car. Not great fit and finish but it runs great. Goes like a bat out of h-e-double hockey sticks, excuse the language.

Favorite Features

Column shifter, tach and no blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

Deeper cup holders.

My get me where I am going buddy!
By Ms. Chicago

1997 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car on a whim,, a week later I was thinking what have a done, however, its grown on me the drive is smooth, the design like a spaceship or something. I thought I am gonna sell soon, but as times going I wanna kept it! Its roomy and fun has a nice sound system and has cost me much in upkeep. I hope that continues. I already had family members offering to buy it when or if I plan to sell it.

Favorite Features

I like the room and trunk space and the unique look. :-)!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, needed to be deeper for safety of your drinks.