Used 1997 Ford Taurus G Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Importance of Maintenance
By Richard

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

Bought new now have 112,000 miles. Has been excellent mechanically. Got 80,000 miles out of front brakes. Have changed oil 32 times, serviced trans 4 times, changed fuel filter 3 times, tuned it twice, replaced battery twice and I'm only on my third set of tires. Only major work 2 oxygen sensors. It's a great workhorse of a car. Not great fit and finish but it runs great. Goes like a bat out of h-e-double hockey sticks, excuse the language.

Column shifter, tach and no blind spots.

Deeper cup holders.

Extremely Reliable Daily Driver
By AdamB5000

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in April, 2001 with 28,186 miles. It now has 118,000+ miles in July of 2010. It's been mostly flawless. There have been a few repairs here and there, such as a brake line, ball joints, shocks, rotors, pads, etc, but most of this has been few and far between (minus the brakes!) and overall ownership cost has been very low. The brakes seem to be the only reoccurring problem. Rotors seem to get warped easily and I'm an easy braker. Seems they get replaced annually. I hate to sell this thing because it's so reliable but technically worth almost nothing. I don't want to sell a car that has been so reliable and will only get me back a couple grand at best.

Smooth ride, low ownership cost, and overall reliability.

Brakes wear quickly and wobble. Some electrical components failed (cruise control, rear defroster, etc). Some rust becoming apparent.

So Far, So Good....
By Evan

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

Purchased this Car from my mother who owned it since 2001. Before this though I drove the car on a somewhat regular basis, when I owned a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant. This is my second Taurus (the first was a 1992 GL 3.8 Essex). I like that this body style really opened the interior up. The rear has so much room for passengers and cargo and its a sedan! Im am tall and am most comfortable. The 3.0 vulcan doesnt produce as much torque as the 3.8 did, which is a downer considering how heavy this baby is, but it still has ample passing power and can merge into traffic on the freeway. Transmission can be fumbly at moderate speeds so I try to go easy on it. Design still looks good after 13 years.

Interior room, Interior materials are so much improved over gen I AND II. No exposed screws in door panels and pillar cover. Flip fold console is cool. Speakers could be better, but enjoy having little ones inside of the sideview mirror panels. Ford has better designers than GM/Chrysler hands down.

Transmisson seems indecisive and delicate. A slow shifter indeed. Powertrain is decent, but could use some tweaks here and there. Why climate controls and radio in same panel. Aftermarket stereo replacement will be a big pain in the gazoo!

Amazing Product
By SixxiA

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

This car was designed to be the most comfortable ride of 1997. As far as reliability goes, my car has sputtered before and had trouble accelerating, but only on occasion and only while cold, but all cars will do that after 100,000 miles. Amazing car, it's got all of the features a consumer needs and average gas mileage. I've repaired the car, but only at the mileage where it would be expected.

Centralized climate controls and radio, powerful air conditioning, great ride with great power.

Redesign of headlights.

I think we had a lemon.
By denise

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

The Taurus has a great ride and is comfortable. We had many problems with the transmission beginning at 60,000 miles. It's ultimate demise came when the catalytic converter went bad on us at 70,000 miles. We drove the car until it finally stopped at 85,000 miles.

Comfortable ride and nice sound system.