1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
love it
By jm23 on 03/07/10 18:46 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car when I turned 16. My dad got it for about 1000 because the tranny was shot, which he was able to replace at a low price as hes a mechanic. I absolutely loved my Taurus, so comfortable and roomy and was always reliable for me with proper maintenance. It was just totaled when some idiot ran into it while it was parked, and I'm sure going to be looking for another Taurus! :)

I stole it!!
By MasterSmeat on 06/02/09 02:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I just bought a 1997 Taurus LX sedan for my mom. She lives in TX, and I live in CA. Her truck recently bit the dust and she was in bad need of a car but with very little money. I stumbled upon this beauty on Craig's List, and for $400 I had to check it out. The guy told me it would over heat, so I figured that it could only be a few things. Worst case scenario, the radiator is only $84 from rockauto.com. So, I limped it home and started with the cheapest parts first, thermostat, flush, and finally a water pump. So, with two days hard work, $500 and lots of grease and grime, my mom's got a very strong and reliable car which I drove 1300 miles to her without a hiccup!

My Taurus
By mccamp on 02/10/05 10:26 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Although car had been used as a dealer demo, I have found it to be reliable, comfortable, good mileage and an all around excellent buy. The interior has held up, the exterior has done very good and the handling is great. I don't speed or drive recklessly but do travel. I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and believe that has a lot to do with its longevity. It is comfortable, I appreciate the electric seats being a shorter person. I find the adjustable steering wheel an added bonus. The "lumbar" on the driver seat is great! The electric seat is great for short legged people. Electric mirrors a REAL plus when big trucks pull too close - shine lights back at them from mirrors.

97 Ford Taurus trash!
By ArthurR on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

LOOKS ARE DECEIVING! FREEMONT FORD VERY DISHONEST! Have not bought a Ford since! Nice car, BUT transmission goes out at 40K as per transmissions shops used to say it was the #1 car in for a new transmission. Brakes notorious for going out at the same time as well as a # of other expensive mechanical problems. Dealership was very irresponsible and tried to always shrug off warranty responsibilities as well as recall which cost me a 30 day rental car. Stabilizer bars bent and dealer said they would cover it under warranty if their was no sign of them hitting any object. When they realized no sign of them being hit by an accident etc.. they then refused to cover it. I bet FORD is now begging.

PROBLEMS I HAVE EXPERIENCED
By TINA on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I REALLY LOVE MY TAURUS.BUT I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS, IN 2002 I HAD TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION.I CANNOT USE MY ALARM, IT GOES OFF FOR NO REASON, HAVE HAD SENSOR REPLACED & IS STILL A PROBLEM.MY ENGINE COOLANT LIGHT COMES ON ALL THE TIME, THE COOLANT IS FULL AND DOES NOT OVERHEAT, PROBABLY ANOTHER SENSOR.AT TIMES MY DOME LIGHT COMES ON AND WILL NOT GO OFF UNTIL ITS GOOD & READY.

Great car for the money
By Marc Ayala on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Taurus in 1998 used with 24,000 miles. I was extremely surprised with the power and handling for a domestic car. On the highway the car gets 30 miles to the gallon, and 20 in the city. It's held up extremely well, and is still going strong at 112,000 miles.

Yes, I work for Ford...
By I_Work_For_Ford! on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

And I'm here to tell you: if you are thinking of buying one, don't! I have 50,000 miles on my car. I work for Ford, so I got the employee discount. I spent it ($1500) today. Here's what has gone wrong so far: * Front speakers bad - 4 times! * Door panels pop open when doors are shut, due to repeated dealer repairs. * Front door window channels pop out due to broken clips. * A/C compressor failed at 50,000 miles. $1500.00 for repair. Too much to list in 700 characters...