Used 1997 Ford Taurus LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

love it
By jm23

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car when I turned 16. My dad got it for about 1000 because the tranny was shot, which he was able to replace at a low price as hes a mechanic. I absolutely loved my Taurus, so comfortable and roomy and was always reliable for me with proper maintenance. It was just totaled when some idiot ran into it while it was parked, and I'm sure going to be looking for another Taurus! :)

roominess, trunk space, sound quality

I stole it!!
By MasterSmeat

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I just bought a 1997 Taurus LX sedan for my mom. She lives in TX, and I live in CA. Her truck recently bit the dust and she was in bad need of a car but with very little money. I stumbled upon this beauty on Craig's List, and for $400 I had to check it out. The guy told me it would over heat, so I figured that it could only be a few things. Worst case scenario, the radiator is only $84 from rockauto.com. So, I limped it home and started with the cheapest parts first, thermostat, flush, and finally a water pump. So, with two days hard work, $500 and lots of grease and grime, my mom's got a very strong and reliable car which I drove 1300 miles to her without a hiccup!

This one I just got lucky on. I found a receipt in the glove box for a transmission rebuild less than two years ago.

Easier access to the thermostat on the DOHC models!!

My Taurus
By mccamp

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Although car had been used as a dealer demo, I have found it to be reliable, comfortable, good mileage and an all around excellent buy. The interior has held up, the exterior has done very good and the handling is great. I don't speed or drive recklessly but do travel. I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and believe that has a lot to do with its longevity. It is comfortable, I appreciate the electric seats being a shorter person. I find the adjustable steering wheel an added bonus. The "lumbar" on the driver seat is great! The electric seat is great for short legged people. Electric mirrors a REAL plus when big trucks pull too close - shine lights back at them from mirrors.

I use the speed control ALL the time, Every woman driving alone needs auto door/window locks. No problems like I did other makes. Impressed with the interior but there are no kids to give it hard wear and tear. I do have dogs ride it. Electric seat & steering wheel adjustments a plus for short people like me.

I wish the seats folded down flatter, that the trunk was easier for us older folks to get things into without lifting over the lip of the trunk. I didn't care for the color but that doesn't have anything to do with the manufacturing.

97 Ford Taurus trash!
By ArthurR

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

LOOKS ARE DECEIVING! FREEMONT FORD VERY DISHONEST! Have not bought a Ford since! Nice car, BUT transmission goes out at 40K as per transmissions shops used to say it was the #1 car in for a new transmission. Brakes notorious for going out at the same time as well as a # of other expensive mechanical problems. Dealership was very irresponsible and tried to always shrug off warranty responsibilities as well as recall which cost me a 30 day rental car. Stabilizer bars bent and dealer said they would cover it under warranty if their was no sign of them hitting any object. When they realized no sign of them being hit by an accident etc.. they then refused to cover it. I bet FORD is now begging.

Style, smooth and comfortable.

Most Mechanical parts especially the Trani..

PROBLEMS I HAVE EXPERIENCED
By TINA

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I REALLY LOVE MY TAURUS.BUT I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS, IN 2002 I HAD TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION.I CANNOT USE MY ALARM, IT GOES OFF FOR NO REASON, HAVE HAD SENSOR REPLACED & IS STILL A PROBLEM.MY ENGINE COOLANT LIGHT COMES ON ALL THE TIME, THE COOLANT IS FULL AND DOES NOT OVERHEAT, PROBABLY ANOTHER SENSOR.AT TIMES MY DOME LIGHT COMES ON AND WILL NOT GO OFF UNTIL ITS GOOD & READY.

KEYLESS ENTRY, AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHTS, ROOMY & COMFORTABLE.

TRANSMISSION RECALL, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY 100.00+ TO TAKE CAR IN TO HAVE A SENSOR REPLACED!