1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
RIP 97 Taurus
By homerrocks2 on 12/30/11 05:34 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

It (to me) was a very ugly car at first and I thought it was a piece of junk, but the style grew on me. I didn't realize how comfortable and nice it was until we lost her and got a ZX2 (talk about small, haha)

'Old Faithful' will be missed
By sean2011 on 10/08/11 16:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my dad (who owned it since 2004 when it had 119,000 miles) when gave it to me in 2009 when it had 210,000 miles after he bought a another car in 2009. In the time that it has been in my family, we had spent very little in repairs for it even after the time my dad ran over a deer with it in 2006 going 60. I was inpress how well it took to being driven hard and during northern MI winters it drove through snow as well as my buddies AWD Subaru did. Sadly, I reacently had to give her up after the orgional tranny seized up after 238,956 miles. I would definitely be concerding another Taurus for my next car.

Pretty good car
By madison77 on 03/14/11 03:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My car is 14 years old and still running. Bought it used when it was 3 years old with 29,000 miles. It now has 123, something miles and still runs okay. I've experienced problems time to time. Typical for an older car. My car likes to leak fluids a lot and burns oil in the engine area not the exhaust since I try to keep on top of the oil resovoir. My car has a problem with the door jam sensor. When I get in the car and close the door the car door sensor thinks the door is still open when it actually is closed. To this day it still does it and it drives me nuts but I don't want to spend money on fixing this problem. Its not worth it. Car still has good acceleration. I hate the fuel milage.

My get me where I am going buddy!
By Ms. Chicago on 08/26/10 07:56 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car on a whim,, a week later I was thinking what have a done, however, its grown on me the drive is smooth, the design like a spaceship or something. I thought I am gonna sell soon, but as times going I wanna kept it! Its roomy and fun has a nice sound system and has cost me much in upkeep. I hope that continues. I already had family members offering to buy it when or if I plan to sell it.

Solid car
By Tony on 03/11/10 07:15 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 121,000 miles for 2100. I driven it hard for 2.5 years and now have 191000 miles on it. I have had no major problems with it. Only have had to replace water pump, coolant reservoir, alternator, and lost the a/c. It has been a very reliable car still getting 26mpg on the highway and never once not staring. Best car I've ever owned. I've also had a eclipse and a Corolla which i paid an alot more for, though they got better gas mileage, both had serious mechanical problems (lost an engine in the Corolla and an engine, trans, and axles in eclipse)and surprisingly not very reliable. I guess all manufacturers have lemons way not pay less for the chance at a good one.

keeps going
By sara on 01/22/10 08:07 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

i bought the car in 2002 @ 90,000 mile and cost me 5,000 and have had problems like with tranmission, new tire rods and minor little things but that to be expected do to the HIGH miles. its a great car. im now at 200,000 and still runs great it dosen't look pretty anymore but that doesn't matter to me. it bets a car payment.

Oh yeah, I love my taurus!
By Pat on 11/11/09 19:13 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

What more can i say about it, i had my ford taurus for about two years as my first car. Nothing in this tank went wrong even as it approached 150,000 miles it still ran strong. I would highly recommend this car for a new driver because it's not overly powerful but enough to get the job done. I just got a new car and let me tell you it was sad to see it go. Over all great first car, it will be missed!

Absolute Best Car Ever
By Brooklyn on 11/02/09 16:38 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

There is absolutely no way that a vehicle could ever score perfect on any single spec, but this car has pulled some pretty crazy stunts for me and has never had any problems internally. Excellent take off, excellent gas mileage compared to more recent cars, and a crap load of interior space; perfect for trips, sonce I've been on plenty with it. My next vehicle will be a 97 Ford Taurus and I will cry when this one explodes or something in a few years.

Taurus for Us!
By TylerW on 09/11/09 09:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

A vehicle which can comfortably seat a six footer, keep two siblings in the back satisfied as well, haul their stuff, and get 30 MPG with a V6 on the highway. You've gotta be kidding me? Nope. This is the 1997 Taurus GL by Ford. A peppy, and ever fuel efficient 3.0 Liter Vulcan V6 powers the car with amazing capability. The exterior and interior of the car are designed to be driver centric, reducing ergonomic stress, and making driving pleasurable. Finally, when you throw it all together, a high quality build makes this the family hauler to own for used purchasers. The 4 speed automatic transmission is well matched on the GL to the 3.0L Vulcan.

Nice When It Runs
By John on 04/23/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this 97' Fully loaded taurus gl 22months ago and since it has been one problem after the next, literally. When I purchased the car it needed a muffler and welding done to the holi headders. A couple months later a poppin noise came from the passenger front end, a month or two later I replaced the half shaft. A month later a noise came from the front end again, wheel bearings and tie rod, 170000 miles. A couple months later the car revedded high as I accelerated, trans range sensor, 178k. 7k later the alter and trans gave. Then the waterpump and serp. belt. Last month the coolant resovoir and upper/lower intake gaskets were replaced. Leaks coolant on and off, y? 4 studs broke also, y?