1997 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
RIP 97 Taurus
By homerrocks2 on 12/30/11 05:34 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

It (to me) was a very ugly car at first and I thought it was a piece of junk, but the style grew on me. I didn't realize how comfortable and nice it was until we lost her and got a ZX2 (talk about small, haha)

'Old Faithful' will be missed
By sean2011 on 10/08/11 16:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my dad (who owned it since 2004 when it had 119,000 miles) when gave it to me in 2009 when it had 210,000 miles after he bought a another car in 2009. In the time that it has been in my family, we had spent very little in repairs for it even after the time my dad ran over a deer with it in 2006 going 60. I was inpress how well it took to being driven hard and during northern MI winters it drove through snow as well as my buddies AWD Subaru did. Sadly, I reacently had to give her up after the orgional tranny seized up after 238,956 miles. I would definitely be concerding another Taurus for my next car.

loved it but it didn't love me
By katepaints on 05/21/11 18:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

I loved this car; got it new. Two years into it, it kept shorting out so I couldn't keep lights on auto. Needed a new ignition before 50K. At six years the transmission needed overhauling after it died. With all the technical updates it ran much better. A year later at 129K the engine died. Ford in its infinite wisdom had put a race car engine in it so I really couldn't replace the engine at a reasonable cost. I was incredibly disappointed as I had been very good at maintenance and upkeep. I walked away and bought a '96 Jeep Cherokee which was a lot more reliable.

Pretty good car
By madison77 on 03/14/11 03:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My car is 14 years old and still running. Bought it used when it was 3 years old with 29,000 miles. It now has 123, something miles and still runs okay. I've experienced problems time to time. Typical for an older car. My car likes to leak fluids a lot and burns oil in the engine area not the exhaust since I try to keep on top of the oil resovoir. My car has a problem with the door jam sensor. When I get in the car and close the door the car door sensor thinks the door is still open when it actually is closed. To this day it still does it and it drives me nuts but I don't want to spend money on fixing this problem. Its not worth it. Car still has good acceleration. I hate the fuel milage.

Importance of Maintenance
By Richard on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

Bought new now have 112,000 miles. Has been excellent mechanically. Got 80,000 miles out of front brakes. Have changed oil 32 times, serviced trans 4 times, changed fuel filter 3 times, tuned it twice, replaced battery twice and I'm only on my third set of tires. Only major work 2 oxygen sensors. It's a great workhorse of a car. Not great fit and finish but it runs great. Goes like a bat out of h-e-double hockey sticks, excuse the language.

My get me where I am going buddy!
By Ms. Chicago on 08/26/10 07:56 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car on a whim,, a week later I was thinking what have a done, however, its grown on me the drive is smooth, the design like a spaceship or something. I thought I am gonna sell soon, but as times going I wanna kept it! Its roomy and fun has a nice sound system and has cost me much in upkeep. I hope that continues. I already had family members offering to buy it when or if I plan to sell it.

Extremely Reliable Daily Driver
By AdamB5000 on 07/04/10 17:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in April, 2001 with 28,186 miles. It now has 118,000+ miles in July of 2010. It's been mostly flawless. There have been a few repairs here and there, such as a brake line, ball joints, shocks, rotors, pads, etc, but most of this has been few and far between (minus the brakes!) and overall ownership cost has been very low. The brakes seem to be the only reoccurring problem. Rotors seem to get warped easily and I'm an easy braker. Seems they get replaced annually. I hate to sell this thing because it's so reliable but technically worth almost nothing. I don't want to sell a car that has been so reliable and will only get me back a couple grand at best.

Solid car
By Tony on 03/11/10 07:15 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 121,000 miles for 2100. I driven it hard for 2.5 years and now have 191000 miles on it. I have had no major problems with it. Only have had to replace water pump, coolant reservoir, alternator, and lost the a/c. It has been a very reliable car still getting 26mpg on the highway and never once not staring. Best car I've ever owned. I've also had a eclipse and a Corolla which i paid an alot more for, though they got better gas mileage, both had serious mechanical problems (lost an engine in the Corolla and an engine, trans, and axles in eclipse)and surprisingly not very reliable. I guess all manufacturers have lemons way not pay less for the chance at a good one.

love it
By jm23 on 03/07/10 18:46 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car when I turned 16. My dad got it for about 1000 because the tranny was shot, which he was able to replace at a low price as hes a mechanic. I absolutely loved my Taurus, so comfortable and roomy and was always reliable for me with proper maintenance. It was just totaled when some idiot ran into it while it was parked, and I'm sure going to be looking for another Taurus! :)

keeps going
By sara on 01/22/10 08:07 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

i bought the car in 2002 @ 90,000 mile and cost me 5,000 and have had problems like with tranmission, new tire rods and minor little things but that to be expected do to the HIGH miles. its a great car. im now at 200,000 and still runs great it dosen't look pretty anymore but that doesn't matter to me. it bets a car payment.