Long-term Taurus
By Snake Charmer on
1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan
Car was issued to me as a company car in 1995. Aside from the catfish front end, it looked pretty good. The interior was comfortable, and everything was a bit better than expected. My ratings are based on this being a Taurus, not my Corvette. The sample defects were fixed fast (wind noise, soft shifts), and the car has been safe and dependable for 120k miles so far. Total of about $1200 in unscheduled maintenance, far better than my Hondas or Mazdas. In fact, overheating in the last Honda cost that much, and never was fixed. Good, cheap transport for a long time. Teenager drives it now, and doesn't hate it (he'd rather drive the Vette).
Favorite Features
Ease of entry, seating positions, visibility, relative power. When new, the integrated phone was pretty cool, but dated now. Economy was even pretty good for its era, and it still gets 30MPG on highway drives.
Suggested Improvements
I have a 2006 Taurus now, and they didn't improve on the original. Only weak link was the transmission, and it was burnt out as a service vehicle in city driving (30k in first year at average 10 MPH).