1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
never again!
By Lucia on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

Door handles/panels/cup holder have been reattached several times. Seatbelts get stuck so they can't be pulled out or remain pulled out and won't go back. All inside plastic comes away from attachment anchors. Cd player- replaced. Shifting from park to drive now difficult. Sun roof has gotten stuck open, had automatic door locks fixed, can not always use remote entry, doors no longer lock when car is in drive. All plastic covers for seat bolts have broken off. Makes SLOPPY turns. Handles horribly in bad whether. Dented door closing it & got a dent from a carwash! Both side mirrors broke when knocked into.

Not a bad car
By choof on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Except for some suspension system troubles around 90000 miles, I have nothing bad to say about this car. I am 6'7" and would have liked more leg room, but do a lot of city parking, so made a compromise on overall vehicle size.

This is one great automobile!
By Wendell Davis on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Taurus since 1997. It had 26000 miles on it whe I purchased it. It has been a wonderful car. To date I have only replaced the battery and the brakes. It still runs and looks great. I just bought my wife a 2000 SE Taurus, and I will be using her's a my daily driver. I hope the 2000 is reliable as the 1996 has been.

Built on a Monday
By RobertJoes on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this Taurus off of a lease program. It had regular maintenance and 50,000 mi. when I bought it. At about 65,000 mi. it started having problems. The oil pan gasket was not installed correctly from the factory, resulting in an oil leak. The rear brakes have failed 3 time in the past two years resulting in expensive repairs repeatedly. The entire cooling system and electrical systems have failed resulting in expensive repairs, and to top everything off, there is a HORRIBLE squeak in rear end when I hit a bump. I was really disappointed with this car.

I love my car!
By aawyeah on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Taurus GL used in 1999, when it had about 43,400 one- owner miles on it. Three years later I have added a lot of miles, & the car is in great condition despite the fact that it was always parked outside, frequently on a college-campus & endured a lot of long trips. I have changed the oil every 3,000 miles & the transmission fluid at 50,000 & have only replaced the brakes once, & had the rotors serviced twice.

Good Reliable Car
By Sseth Aaron on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Overall I think it is a great car. I have basically had no problems with the car and it is very reliable. It has pretty good pick up for a 3.0L V-6. Great first car.

mm
By mshay on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first Ford and I was please with the purchase. I would recommend Ford Taurus to others.

Goodbye to my Taurus
By Sheri on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I personally drove my 1996 Ford Taurus for 6 years. It's got more than 100,000 miles and it's still in good shape. I did have some problems at the beginning and I did get the full value from my extended warranty. Currently all the electrical stuff still works, the seats are still in good shape, paint has lasted a long time, and the engine still runs well. Oh yeah, and the A/C still works. It's been a pretty dependable car. Am I buying another one? No way. Upgrading to a BMW!

Good, dependable car
By Will W. on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Purchased this car with 30,000 miles and now have 201,000. No major repairs were necessary, this vehicle still has same engine and transmission. I just kept the oil changed every 4,000 miles and serviced the transmission every 40K to 50K. Costs were reasonable for repairs. Highly recommend as a low cost means of good transportation.

I can't believe I own a FORD
By Beefer on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I have a 1996 Taurus Sedan. When I first got it, it had around 150K km. on it and it was running great. It's quite comfortable to drive and it feels roomy but doesn't appear too big on the outside. I have to say that the BRAKES are quite bad, it cost me quite a bit of money to have them all replaced because the car would shake so much (4 disc brakes). Now at 185 thousand kilometers I think the transmission is on its way out. It has trouble shifting when passing or going up hills.