Used 1996 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Great Ride
By Fred

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Original owner -- 9 years; other than the idler pulley, no problems at all. Great gas mileage for such a big car -- 26-30 on the highway. Long wheelbase gives a great ride. Handles well in snow and ice. ABS is super. Great car for long drives.

Lock/unlock switch in the cargo area.

A little shy on horsepower, but perfect for city driving.

I hate my car
By ihatemytaurus

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I am 17 and this car was a hand-me-down from my grandparents. It's extremely slow, looks like a bubble, and doesn't get good gas mileage. It also takes about 1 full second to shift from 1-2. It might also be nice if they made some performance parts for it besides an air filter, but they don't.

Can fit 5 people pretty comfortably. Handling is OK. Big trunk.

Looks, transmission, cupholders, stock stereo, performance, resale value.

9 years for the original owner
By Don

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I still commute daily (70 miles) in my LX that I bought new in '96. It will turn 162,000 miles by May '05. The Duratec V6 still runs strong, the leather interior survived 2 kids and daily abuse and looks almost new. The car handles New England winter driving just fine and has never broken down on me. This one was built in Chicago. The brake pads & rotors wear quick but years of stop/go driving may have played a role. Overall - the car's been great.

Leather interior, CD changer, climate control, power seat, good blend of performance and gas mileage.

brakes / rotors, suspension.

Never Again
By shires

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Nice-looking, comfortable car. The only problem was that nothing worked right. Had to replace the transmission - the transmission folks told me this is quite common - and the heater fan. The heating block cracked and had to be sealed. The air vent system never did work right, despite replacing the fan. The stereo didn't work right, and the turn signals worked sometimes, and sometimes they didn't. Gas mileage averaged around 20 miles per gallon, which was not acceptable to me. Finally, the Taurus got smashed in the side by a pickup and was totalled, but I walked away without a scratch - so it is a nice safe car. Otherwise, a complete turkey.

Forget it. Many of the used ones I've seen for sale have replaced transmissions. This car needs to be rebuilt by people who know and care about what they are doing.

Reliable car
By dkageff

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

My experience with this car has been very good. It is 8 yrs old and has 134,800 mile and the 3.0L Duratec is still running well and it still rides nice.