1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
96 Taurus -- Stylish Winner
By Ford Fairlane on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Overall design and build quality strong. OEM tires lasted 60,000 miles with regular rotation -- replaced with Yokohamas (OEM alloy wheels) -- the Yokohamas improve handling, braking markedly. Very few problems outside of routine maintenance. Fuel pump expired at 58,000 miles. Best car I've ever owned. May purchase an '04 since (a) the new Five Hundred/Montego may not fit in the garage and (b) the new small, mid-size car (Mazda 6 stretch) may be significantly smaller. Occasionally, must use mid-grade gas during Summer to prevent knocking on ethanol-enhanced gas.

17 Year Old's opinion
By ckyo5 on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car is always fun to drive and handles quite well on turns for being a sedan. Its comfortable on long road trips and gets good gas mileage on the highway. It's had it's fair share of engine problems, but they didn't cost TOO much to fix. All In all, this is a very decent car for the price tag.

96 SHO
By SHO on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I just LOVE this car! It is fun to drive and is a big transition from the standard 4 cylinder sedan. It also handles the road very well.

One of the best cars I have ever had
By Paul - MA on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

If you are looking for a used car - at least from my experience, this is the one! Interior space, trunk room, powerful engine (V6 -200 HP), crash test safety rating, features (auto headlamps, keypad entry) - it has it all. I have the JBL audio system, and I would love to remove it from the car and take it with me. 0 - 66,000 miles and never spent a dime on repairs.

Loving it
By GACop on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car becuase I was in need of a car that I could drive across state back and forth for school. I got it used for a steal from a retired couple 3,000. It doesnt drive like a car that has as many miles as it does. I am overall very happy with it and feel that I have gotten my money back out of it. Have had the following problems in the last year: Alterantor went out Rack and Pinion is wearing out NO transmission problems at all.

Great Performer for a low price
By Chris P on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I opted for this car when my Ford Tempo started to get sick. Figuring it was only $400, and needed front end work, along with body work...It was time to look at a new vehical. I'm shocked by the reviews of the taurus's on here. Our family has owned many taurus's and tempo's and have never had transmission problems. Read your manual for transmission care! If you do get a tranny rebuilt, have a shift kit installed...it will greatly improve the response of these transmissions. (The one i purchased has a shift kit on it for performance.) I now have 116k on it and it feels like 60k, looks like 70k. Definetly does not look like a 7 year old vehical.

My car
By Vince0014 on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me by my parents when I turned 18, and was about to head to college. Now it is my everyday driving car, taking to and fro where I need to go. It gives the impression of a family car, so of course I cant use it to impress any ladies, but it does get me where I need to go. I have had problems with the engine, specifically the electrical ignition system. The first actual problem since being under my possession. I enjoy my taurus and take great pride in being an owner.

I'll never learn
By 3rd Strike on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car second hand from a relative who kept very detailed service records and followed the maintenance schedule religiously. The vehicle has roughly 118,000 highway driven miles and there are no outstanding recall issues. So, after 2 horrible experiences with a 1991 and a 1993, I foolishly purchased another Taurus with similar problems. Currently, the transmission is being overhauled after losing 4th gear. I was hoping it was the MLP sensor or something relatively benign, however why should I have expected anything less than another outrageous repair.

4DR GL Sedan
By MHD on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from an private owner with 58,000 miles, whohad purchased it from a Budget Rental store (that was probably MY biggest mistake). Hehad the transmission rebuilt. Small annoying things have gone wrong - relays, rusted rear brake caliper, windshield washer problems, etc. Larger problems - a u-joint in the steering column had to be replaced (the mechanic said this was probably a factory defect). A head gasket blew in the summer and ruined the engine (I failed to read the signs - rust in the coolan). Engine replaced from '98 Taurus - the car runs great now (sigh). The body is rusting in a rear fender well.

Car is a piece of Junk
By Goose00 on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car had to have a transmission installed after 50,000 miles and Ford would not budge with sharing in the cost. After 100,000 miles it need another transmission. It has had numerous problems mechanically and I am without heat for the past two years due to the heater is stuck on luck warm and it would have to go back to the dealer to have the dash board taken off to repair this problem. The service engine soon light comes on all the time with a variety of problems, the last one would of cost me in excess of $1,000. I suugest not buying this vehicle or any Ford for that matter as they do treat their customers right at all.