1996 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Great Performer for a low price
By Chris P on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I opted for this car when my Ford Tempo started to get sick. Figuring it was only $400, and needed front end work, along with body work...It was time to look at a new vehical. I'm shocked by the reviews of the taurus's on here. Our family has owned many taurus's and tempo's and have never had transmission problems. Read your manual for transmission care! If you do get a tranny rebuilt, have a shift kit installed...it will greatly improve the response of these transmissions. (The one i purchased has a shift kit on it for performance.) I now have 116k on it and it feels like 60k, looks like 70k. Definetly does not look like a 7 year old vehical.

My car
By Vince0014 on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me by my parents when I turned 18, and was about to head to college. Now it is my everyday driving car, taking to and fro where I need to go. It gives the impression of a family car, so of course I cant use it to impress any ladies, but it does get me where I need to go. I have had problems with the engine, specifically the electrical ignition system. The first actual problem since being under my possession. I enjoy my taurus and take great pride in being an owner.

I'll never learn
By 3rd Strike on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car second hand from a relative who kept very detailed service records and followed the maintenance schedule religiously. The vehicle has roughly 118,000 highway driven miles and there are no outstanding recall issues. So, after 2 horrible experiences with a 1991 and a 1993, I foolishly purchased another Taurus with similar problems. Currently, the transmission is being overhauled after losing 4th gear. I was hoping it was the MLP sensor or something relatively benign, however why should I have expected anything less than another outrageous repair.

4DR GL Sedan
By MHD on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from an private owner with 58,000 miles, whohad purchased it from a Budget Rental store (that was probably MY biggest mistake). Hehad the transmission rebuilt. Small annoying things have gone wrong - relays, rusted rear brake caliper, windshield washer problems, etc. Larger problems - a u-joint in the steering column had to be replaced (the mechanic said this was probably a factory defect). A head gasket blew in the summer and ruined the engine (I failed to read the signs - rust in the coolan). Engine replaced from '98 Taurus - the car runs great now (sigh). The body is rusting in a rear fender well.

Car is a piece of Junk
By Goose00 on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car had to have a transmission installed after 50,000 miles and Ford would not budge with sharing in the cost. After 100,000 miles it need another transmission. It has had numerous problems mechanically and I am without heat for the past two years due to the heater is stuck on luck warm and it would have to go back to the dealer to have the dash board taken off to repair this problem. The service engine soon light comes on all the time with a variety of problems, the last one would of cost me in excess of $1,000. I suugest not buying this vehicle or any Ford for that matter as they do treat their customers right at all.

Tranny should've been a recall issue
By ballpark on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The car was beautiful on outside. Disliked the interior radio console area - difficult to replace stereo off shelf with round configuration. Main issue was with transmission. Had to replace it at 50,000 miles ($1200); replaced the converter seal at 66,000 miles ($500); and it was ready for more transmission work when I traded it in today ($500 trade in allowance was very much worth it). Given # of tranny problems I've read about, hard to believe it was not a recall issue.

Changed my image of Ford
By frank trobridge on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 60,000 miles in 2000 - for only $5000! Now I have over 100,000 mile on it and it drive just as good as the day I bought it. This car has been amazing. I was wary about buying a Ford, but this car changed my mind. The ride is extremely smooth and the seats are soft and comfortable, not like the rock-hard seats in other comparible vehicles. If you are wary about buying a Ford, buy one of these, they are amazing. I have only had to replace the battery aside from normal tune-ups. This car drives like it will go another 100,000 miles on it.

Don't know what to do
By mofa on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased Taurus when I retired, 40,000. I'd never had trouble with Ford cars before. I've had to pay to have motor mounts put on and the engine light stays on and everytime I go and pay to have it fixed the light comes back on a few days later, so I just leave it on now. The transmission is also going on the car. Ford dealers are awful people to deal with. With all this wrong with the car, it still rides good and starts up without trouble never leaving me stranded. I'm afraid to get rid of it because all the cars I've had before (GM) were even worse than this one. Next time I'll try a Chrysler.

Seven Years and counting
By Pat5176 on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought new in Oct 95, first year of redesign. A few problems most notably the windshield and door seals. Car squealed at 65 mph. Big transmission problems!. The first two failed with only 40K. The car would surge and the tach would redline, you weren't moving. Two months and numerous trips to the dealer before they could finally duplicate the problem. The new (?) transmission lasted two weeks before doing the same. Transmission or the dealers inept mechanics? Last one lasted 80K when three modules failed, $2400 rebuild. Other then that we've gotten almost eight years and over 130K miles out of it. Disc brakes never lasted very long, always need the rotors turned.

Love it
By leew on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus GL from a government auction. It had 45,000 mi on it. When I first bought it the radio lights didn't work. I got that fixed and ever since then the rear window defrost hasn't worked. I currently have 101,000 miles on it, and it appears that I will be replacing it soon as it was rear ended and I think they will total it. The only thing I don't like about it is that the miles to go isn't accurate and it is tied to the fuel gauge.