Used 1996 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Never again
By rocq

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Didn't do my homework, Ford would not replace the pawl pin in the transmission because it was a month over even warranty though the car only had 30,000 kms at the time. Rack and pinion faulty, Ford would not fix. Transmission replaced for at 120,000 kms for $2,600, no warranty. Emission pump failed - $800. Have spent over $1,000 on AC repairs and going in again or maybe I will just call a scrap dealer instead.

Not Impressed
By Stonemannn

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1998. Ran well for a few years. A transmission part needed replacement at about 70,000 miles. Now I have a fluctuating temp gauge and don't even want to know where that is taking me repair-wise. I won't buy another Ford.

Got me where I needed to go.

Stop making them or stand behind them better.

I hate my car
By ihatemytaurus

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I am 17 and this car was a hand-me-down from my grandparents. It's extremely slow, looks like a bubble, and doesn't get good gas mileage. It also takes about 1 full second to shift from 1-2. It might also be nice if they made some performance parts for it besides an air filter, but they don't.

Can fit 5 people pretty comfortably. Handling is OK. Big trunk.

Looks, transmission, cupholders, stock stereo, performance, resale value.

9 years for the original owner
By Don

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I still commute daily (70 miles) in my LX that I bought new in '96. It will turn 162,000 miles by May '05. The Duratec V6 still runs strong, the leather interior survived 2 kids and daily abuse and looks almost new. The car handles New England winter driving just fine and has never broken down on me. This one was built in Chicago. The brake pads & rotors wear quick but years of stop/go driving may have played a role. Overall - the car's been great.

Leather interior, CD changer, climate control, power seat, good blend of performance and gas mileage.

brakes / rotors, suspension.

Never Again
By shires

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Nice-looking, comfortable car. The only problem was that nothing worked right. Had to replace the transmission - the transmission folks told me this is quite common - and the heater fan. The heating block cracked and had to be sealed. The air vent system never did work right, despite replacing the fan. The stereo didn't work right, and the turn signals worked sometimes, and sometimes they didn't. Gas mileage averaged around 20 miles per gallon, which was not acceptable to me. Finally, the Taurus got smashed in the side by a pickup and was totalled, but I walked away without a scratch - so it is a nice safe car. Otherwise, a complete turkey.

Forget it. Many of the used ones I've seen for sale have replaced transmissions. This car needs to be rebuilt by people who know and care about what they are doing.