1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Tranny should've been a recall issue
By ballpark on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

The car was beautiful on outside. Disliked the interior radio console area - difficult to replace stereo off shelf with round configuration. Main issue was with transmission. Had to replace it at 50,000 miles ($1200); replaced the converter seal at 66,000 miles ($500); and it was ready for more transmission work when I traded it in today ($500 trade in allowance was very much worth it). Given # of tranny problems I've read about, hard to believe it was not a recall issue.

Love it
By leew on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus GL from a government auction. It had 45,000 mi on it. When I first bought it the radio lights didn't work. I got that fixed and ever since then the rear window defrost hasn't worked. I currently have 101,000 miles on it, and it appears that I will be replacing it soon as it was rear ended and I think they will total it. The only thing I don't like about it is that the miles to go isn't accurate and it is tied to the fuel gauge.

Excellent and economic car
By Tommyy on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

It's our 2nd Taurus and we think it's the best American car and could be competetive with the Japanese cars. Engine is very smooth, powerful and quiet. Brake reliable. Steering improved a lot. Exterior design is cute.

Built on a Monday
By RobertJoes on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this Taurus off of a lease program. It had regular maintenance and 50,000 mi. when I bought it. At about 65,000 mi. it started having problems. The oil pan gasket was not installed correctly from the factory, resulting in an oil leak. The rear brakes have failed 3 time in the past two years resulting in expensive repairs repeatedly. The entire cooling system and electrical systems have failed resulting in expensive repairs, and to top everything off, there is a HORRIBLE squeak in rear end when I hit a bump. I was really disappointed with this car.

I love my car!
By aawyeah on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Taurus GL used in 1999, when it had about 43,400 one- owner miles on it. Three years later I have added a lot of miles, & the car is in great condition despite the fact that it was always parked outside, frequently on a college-campus & endured a lot of long trips. I have changed the oil every 3,000 miles & the transmission fluid at 50,000 & have only replaced the brakes once, & had the rotors serviced twice.

Good Reliable Car
By Sseth Aaron on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Overall I think it is a great car. I have basically had no problems with the car and it is very reliable. It has pretty good pick up for a 3.0L V-6. Great first car.

Goodbye to my Taurus
By Sheri on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I personally drove my 1996 Ford Taurus for 6 years. It's got more than 100,000 miles and it's still in good shape. I did have some problems at the beginning and I did get the full value from my extended warranty. Currently all the electrical stuff still works, the seats are still in good shape, paint has lasted a long time, and the engine still runs well. Oh yeah, and the A/C still works. It's been a pretty dependable car. Am I buying another one? No way. Upgrading to a BMW!

Do your research..........
By Re-Think the Ford on 03/13/02 21:09 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car five years ago, used, and since then I have had several mechanical problems with it. I have already replaced the transmission once, and it now needs another one. At $1000 a pop, I can't afford to keep this car. Not to mention, had to replace the alternator, heating system, struts, brakes....need I go on? I'd definately rethink purchasing one of these cars, unless you're rich and can afford to fix it every 3 months!!!

Basic transportation
By AzRobbo on 02/27/02 20:47 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My Taurus, which I have had for about a year and half, has been decent. I guess I expected more when paying $10k for a car, though. I am extremely dissatisfied at the resale value, it has dropped about 50% the first year I had it. I had to replace the headgasket, which blew in the the June Arizona sun, so I wasn't TOO upset. The brakes have needed work, and my door locks are screwed up, but other than that is a nice comfortable car with lots of room.