Used 1996 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

162,000 mile SHO and going strong!
By Negative/cutter

1996 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

My SHO is amazing! It is still comfortable, fast and handles great! 12 years later! It is going to be hard to part with this car!

Favorite Features

Engine and suspension are fantastic! A rare and unusual treat. Open up the engine and it makes this car a head turner!

Suggested Improvements

Transmission should have been a manual, but the auto is okay. Camshaft issue.

First, and Last, Taurus
By XTREMEBIKER278

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this as my first car in may of 04 with 107k miles. Two years later, I had to junk it because it was not worth fixing this car every 2 or 3 months. It really is a shame too, because the interior design was amazing back in the day, and still is. I loved the nice touches such as digital climate controls. The '96 Taurus looked a little goofy compared to the previous gen, I got used to it and loved it eventually. The car was very roomy and comfortable, and easily seated 5, even 6 people. However, after spending $4k in repairs, and my mom doing the same for her '98 Sable, we moved on

Favorite Features

Interior, performance, and features literally eclipsed its German and Japanese competitors for a long time. It really was an amazing car back in the day. Roomy, fast, rear air vents, split fold rear seats, allow wheels, power everything with remote, amazing 7 speaker JBL sound system!

Suggested Improvements

Ford, build better engines and transmissions. Gas mileage was horrible. Needs to be more reliable.

*sigh*
By blahblahblah

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Well, I'm not too happy with my Taurus. Since I've owned it (7 months) the transmission has gone out twice, the brakes have gone out, and the starter has had to be replaced. I'm unsure if these problems are the faults of the previous owner or problems with the model, and I may never know. I guess I can't complain too much, as the car was a gift.

Favorite Features

The leather seats and it's just fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Something to help the transmission-many other previous owners say their's goes out a lot too.

Fo SHO
By G, Labriola

1996 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I know all Fords are not created equally but my SHO had 7500 miles on it when I bought it from the dealer and it currently has 74,000 on it. My only real problem was the cam shaft but nothing else other than normal maintenance. It is one of the best all round cars I've ever owned. Excellent comfort, outstanding performance, superb handling (NO oversteer!) and all the creature comfort features you could ask for. No tranny problems for me.

Favorite Features

The SHO has great handling especially when pushed hard in turns. The vehicle loves highway driving. You can feel the effect of the aerodynamics at 80 mph.

Suggested Improvements

There should have been a recall on the overhead cam problems. Other than that if Ford could improve on consistent quality & gas mileage it could be the best car they ever produced.

reliable since 99...
By bbgunwb

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 99 when it had 38,000 miles on it. It now has 123,000 miles on it. Long time nagging problem is a squeaky internal vent fan and a poor defroster that usually refuses to turn on the compressor until the engine's warmed up, and sometimes randomly stops working. Front brakes kept warping until I replaced rotors with beefier aftermarket ones - since then, zero brake issues. 90,000 mile service was over $500 bucks. Other than that, its been solid until the last 6 months or so - the tranny's been hard shifting in 2nd gear. Only question is whether to fix it as I pass it on to the kids. 'Till then - baby it!

Favorite Features

Power windows work after keys is off and out, until door opens. Folding back seat and long item trunk pass-through.

Suggested Improvements

Better defrosting system.