Used 1996 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

First, and Last, Taurus
By XTREMEBIKER278

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this as my first car in may of 04 with 107k miles. Two years later, I had to junk it because it was not worth fixing this car every 2 or 3 months. It really is a shame too, because the interior design was amazing back in the day, and still is. I loved the nice touches such as digital climate controls. The '96 Taurus looked a little goofy compared to the previous gen, I got used to it and loved it eventually. The car was very roomy and comfortable, and easily seated 5, even 6 people. However, after spending $4k in repairs, and my mom doing the same for her '98 Sable, we moved on

Interior, performance, and features literally eclipsed its German and Japanese competitors for a long time. It really was an amazing car back in the day. Roomy, fast, rear air vents, split fold rear seats, allow wheels, power everything with remote, amazing 7 speaker JBL sound system!

Ford, build better engines and transmissions. Gas mileage was horrible. Needs to be more reliable.

*sigh*
By blahblahblah

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Well, I'm not too happy with my Taurus. Since I've owned it (7 months) the transmission has gone out twice, the brakes have gone out, and the starter has had to be replaced. I'm unsure if these problems are the faults of the previous owner or problems with the model, and I may never know. I guess I can't complain too much, as the car was a gift.

The leather seats and it's just fun to drive!

Something to help the transmission-many other previous owners say their's goes out a lot too.

Fo SHO
By G, Labriola

1996 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I know all Fords are not created equally but my SHO had 7500 miles on it when I bought it from the dealer and it currently has 74,000 on it. My only real problem was the cam shaft but nothing else other than normal maintenance. It is one of the best all round cars I've ever owned. Excellent comfort, outstanding performance, superb handling (NO oversteer!) and all the creature comfort features you could ask for. No tranny problems for me.

The SHO has great handling especially when pushed hard in turns. The vehicle loves highway driving. You can feel the effect of the aerodynamics at 80 mph.

There should have been a recall on the overhead cam problems. Other than that if Ford could improve on consistent quality & gas mileage it could be the best car they ever produced.

reliable since 99...
By bbgunwb

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 99 when it had 38,000 miles on it. It now has 123,000 miles on it. Long time nagging problem is a squeaky internal vent fan and a poor defroster that usually refuses to turn on the compressor until the engine's warmed up, and sometimes randomly stops working. Front brakes kept warping until I replaced rotors with beefier aftermarket ones - since then, zero brake issues. 90,000 mile service was over $500 bucks. Other than that, its been solid until the last 6 months or so - the tranny's been hard shifting in 2nd gear. Only question is whether to fix it as I pass it on to the kids. 'Till then - baby it!

Power windows work after keys is off and out, until door opens. Folding back seat and long item trunk pass-through.

Better defrosting system.

168K 96 GL
By Russell Wickham

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96 Taurus GL from an individual when it had 64K miles on it, and drove it for five years and 104K miles. During that time, I've had a few problems, namely the cam position sensor, the EGR valve, two window switches, and the transmission. First the 4th gear shift solenoid failed, and the transmission shop said it needed a full rebuild because the part is very hard to get to. That cost $1500. Two weeks ago the torque converter seal fail, draining all the fluid out of the converter and leaving us stranded. Aside from that, it's been a good car.

Decent fuel economy, and fairly roomy interior.

The front seat! Not comfortable for trips more than a half hour. Rear seat head room. Steep rake on the truck lid cuts into trunk room.