1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
7 Year Owner Opinion
By DS2001 on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this Taurus used in 1997 with about 15,000 mi. I now have almost 115,000 on it and it is starting to give me some big trouble. The tranmission is not shifting from 1st to 2nd properly and jerks. The brake pads wear out quickly.I had to have electrical work done on steering column. Fords should last more than 115,000 before they start tofall apart

Good car, but not reliable
By JoeKass on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I have been having this car for almost three years. super car, but spent almost fortune for its maintenance. Be careful when buying and take into consideration that occasional repairs might add up to the price.

Plastic cracks!!
By CarJunkie on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I live in North Dakota and ford put plastic radiators in this car, (when plastic freezes, it cracks if it gets too warm too fast). Also, the head and head gasket are a common complaint about this car when it comes to things going out. It is a beautiful car though, and when there isn't something that needs to be fixed it rides nice, and is top of my list for comfort!!

Bad Dealership Service at Manahan Ford
By JFC8812 on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

It is a good car and realiable. But the dealship service is really bad. I bought the $1000 premium service package which was good until I took the car to Monahan Ford in Flushing, Queens NY. They charged me close to $200 for no reason (it should be covered by premium care like they did in Greenwich CT); when I wanted my car back they lied and said they had took the car apart. I complained to Ford service and received responses but the issued was never resolved.

96 Taurus -- Stylish Winner
By Ford Fairlane on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Overall design and build quality strong. OEM tires lasted 60,000 miles with regular rotation -- replaced with Yokohamas (OEM alloy wheels) -- the Yokohamas improve handling, braking markedly. Very few problems outside of routine maintenance. Fuel pump expired at 58,000 miles. Best car I've ever owned. May purchase an '04 since (a) the new Five Hundred/Montego may not fit in the garage and (b) the new small, mid-size car (Mazda 6 stretch) may be significantly smaller. Occasionally, must use mid-grade gas during Summer to prevent knocking on ethanol-enhanced gas.

17 Year Old's opinion
By ckyo5 on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car is always fun to drive and handles quite well on turns for being a sedan. Its comfortable on long road trips and gets good gas mileage on the highway. It's had it's fair share of engine problems, but they didn't cost TOO much to fix. All In all, this is a very decent car for the price tag.

My car
By Vince0014 on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me by my parents when I turned 18, and was about to head to college. Now it is my everyday driving car, taking to and fro where I need to go. It gives the impression of a family car, so of course I cant use it to impress any ladies, but it does get me where I need to go. I have had problems with the engine, specifically the electrical ignition system. The first actual problem since being under my possession. I enjoy my taurus and take great pride in being an owner.

I'll never learn
By 3rd Strike on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car second hand from a relative who kept very detailed service records and followed the maintenance schedule religiously. The vehicle has roughly 118,000 highway driven miles and there are no outstanding recall issues. So, after 2 horrible experiences with a 1991 and a 1993, I foolishly purchased another Taurus with similar problems. Currently, the transmission is being overhauled after losing 4th gear. I was hoping it was the MLP sensor or something relatively benign, however why should I have expected anything less than another outrageous repair.

4DR GL Sedan
By MHD on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from an private owner with 58,000 miles, whohad purchased it from a Budget Rental store (that was probably MY biggest mistake). Hehad the transmission rebuilt. Small annoying things have gone wrong - relays, rusted rear brake caliper, windshield washer problems, etc. Larger problems - a u-joint in the steering column had to be replaced (the mechanic said this was probably a factory defect). A head gasket blew in the summer and ruined the engine (I failed to read the signs - rust in the coolan). Engine replaced from '98 Taurus - the car runs great now (sigh). The body is rusting in a rear fender well.

Car is a piece of Junk
By Goose00 on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car had to have a transmission installed after 50,000 miles and Ford would not budge with sharing in the cost. After 100,000 miles it need another transmission. It has had numerous problems mechanically and I am without heat for the past two years due to the heater is stuck on luck warm and it would have to go back to the dealer to have the dash board taken off to repair this problem. The service engine soon light comes on all the time with a variety of problems, the last one would of cost me in excess of $1,000. I suugest not buying this vehicle or any Ford for that matter as they do treat their customers right at all.