Used 1996 Ford Taurus GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Taurus not too user freindly.
By Jim

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Taurus not bad riding, except for exterior noise that dealer or Ford wouldn't address. Problems with noisy front end had to bushings replaced twice. Brakes wore out quick and never were smooth after dealer replaced. Car became second car quick. Had 1987 Ford Taurus much better quality. Wouldn't buy again.

Favorite Features

Smooth but noisy ride.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk, replace rubber around windows with quieter replacements. Better design of dash area. Make replacing radiator easier. Have to take front end off to get at.

Why I will go back to buying Honda's
By Ira

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My first mistake was selling my 1991 Honda Accord because I got a 'great' deal on this new Taurus. The car has been great if you are into high maintenance. Let's see: two transmissions, numerous electrical and brake problems, a few starters, a/c heat problems, fuel problems ... you name it and it's broken.

Favorite Features

I paid cash for the car.

Suggested Improvements

Outsource the design, engineering and build of the car to Honda or Toyota. In other words buy an Accord or Camry unless you are in love with car repair.

Not Impressed
By Stonemannn

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1998. Ran well for a few years. A transmission part needed replacement at about 70,000 miles. Now I have a fluctuating temp gauge and don't even want to know where that is taking me repair-wise. I won't buy another Ford.

Favorite Features

Got me where I needed to go.

Suggested Improvements

Stop making them or stand behind them better.

I hate my car
By ihatemytaurus

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I am 17 and this car was a hand-me-down from my grandparents. It's extremely slow, looks like a bubble, and doesn't get good gas mileage. It also takes about 1 full second to shift from 1-2. It might also be nice if they made some performance parts for it besides an air filter, but they don't.

Favorite Features

Can fit 5 people pretty comfortably. Handling is OK. Big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Looks, transmission, cupholders, stock stereo, performance, resale value.

Never Again
By shires

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Nice-looking, comfortable car. The only problem was that nothing worked right. Had to replace the transmission - the transmission folks told me this is quite common - and the heater fan. The heating block cracked and had to be sealed. The air vent system never did work right, despite replacing the fan. The stereo didn't work right, and the turn signals worked sometimes, and sometimes they didn't. Gas mileage averaged around 20 miles per gallon, which was not acceptable to me. Finally, the Taurus got smashed in the side by a pickup and was totalled, but I walked away without a scratch - so it is a nice safe car. Otherwise, a complete turkey.

Suggested Improvements

Forget it. Many of the used ones I've seen for sale have replaced transmissions. This car needs to be rebuilt by people who know and care about what they are doing.