1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
No worries
By maryann on 05/09/06 09:13 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

One owner, bought it for $15,000 in 96 and paid for it in two years, so it owes me nothing. Only problem, door handle at 75,000. Never used dealer for service, learned lesson with my earlier Honda. Have a great mechanic who taught me how to care for it. Change oil religiously at 3,000 and change transmission fluid in winter. Never in a garage. Great in snow & weather, even gotten up dirt roads. Cross country no problem. Boring, in that never worry driving and no payments while others busy paying for their new expensive cars. Husband's 03 saved his life in a head on at 50mph when belts & bags deployed. It was totaled, he was fine. Other car driver had leg & chest injuries. Replaced his with '04.

Very Good Family Sedan
By Chris on 05/04/06 14:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for 3 years. I purchased it with 112k, it now has 160k. Prior to me owning it was a rental car and work vehicle, and was involved in at least 2 accidents. 150k rear struts were replaced, 158k the original alternator replaced, 160k master brake cylinder. The DPFE sensor was replaced about 3 times, this causes the nagging check engine light 90% of the time. The 24v Duratec V6 is plenty powerful, and is still powerful compared to many newer vehicles. 0-60 is listed in the mid 8's, however I have seen it as low as 7. Highway acceleration is excellent, and even when compared to a 2000 and up BMW 328, Audio A6, Accord V6, it still hangs in the crowd.

purrs like a kitten
By strungkitten on 04/03/06 00:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

My last car was an Escort and I really loved it. That is, until I started driving my Taurus. The vision is great. The most comfortable seats yet. Even being 10 years old it looks stylish. I also got a very good buy. I am a very pleased Taurus driver.

Long-term Taurus
By Snake Charmer on 03/06/06 13:56 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Car was issued to me as a company car in 1995. Aside from the catfish front end, it looked pretty good. The interior was comfortable, and everything was a bit better than expected. My ratings are based on this being a Taurus, not my Corvette. The sample defects were fixed fast (wind noise, soft shifts), and the car has been safe and dependable for 120k miles so far. Total of about $1200 in unscheduled maintenance, far better than my Hondas or Mazdas. In fact, overheating in the last Honda cost that much, and never was fixed. Good, cheap transport for a long time. Teenager drives it now, and doesn't hate it (he'd rather drive the Vette).

Taurus not too user freindly.
By Jim on 01/10/06 21:42 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Taurus not bad riding, except for exterior noise that dealer or Ford wouldn't address. Problems with noisy front end had to bushings replaced twice. Brakes wore out quick and never were smooth after dealer replaced. Car became second car quick. Had 1987 Ford Taurus much better quality. Wouldn't buy again.

Why I will go back to buying Honda's
By Ira on 10/08/05 19:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My first mistake was selling my 1991 Honda Accord because I got a 'great' deal on this new Taurus. The car has been great if you are into high maintenance. Let's see: two transmissions, numerous electrical and brake problems, a few starters, a/c heat problems, fuel problems ... you name it and it's broken.

Taurus Wagon
By jim thomas on 09/19/05 19:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

Bought the car use with 40,000 miles. Now, it is over 100,000 ... other than tires and brakes, not a single repair bill. I never change the oil, or check any fluids. Plus, I only paid 4K.

Never again
By rocq on 08/09/05 14:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Didn't do my homework, Ford would not replace the pawl pin in the transmission because it was a month over even warranty though the car only had 30,000 kms at the time. Rack and pinion faulty, Ford would not fix. Transmission replaced for at 120,000 kms for $2,600, no warranty. Emission pump failed - $800. Have spent over $1,000 on AC repairs and going in again or maybe I will just call a scrap dealer instead.

Not Impressed
By Stonemannn on 07/25/05 11:36 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1998. Ran well for a few years. A transmission part needed replacement at about 70,000 miles. Now I have a fluctuating temp gauge and don't even want to know where that is taking me repair-wise. I won't buy another Ford.

Great Ride
By Fred on 07/06/05 23:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Original owner -- 9 years; other than the idler pulley, no problems at all. Great gas mileage for such a big car -- 26-30 on the highway. Long wheelbase gives a great ride. Handles well in snow and ice. ABS is super. Great car for long drives.