Used 1996 Ford Taurus GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

185K and still running
By aaron

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

The only thing other than brakes and tires all around the things I have had to change are, powersteering pump went after 134k miles,the fuel tank,and the waterpump now with all the bugs worked out it runs awesome for a car built 14 years ago. Would definitely recomend and will be buying a newer one, probably a Mercury Sable though they are a little bit nicer.

Seating for 6, I have used that feature quite a few times

Make the parts last longer

'96 Taurus Duratec
By Glen

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Got our '96 Taurus in '98 with 35000 miles. Since then I've replaced the turn indicator switch, DPFE, EGR, and some other minor parts. This car has been a delight to own and drive. This is our family car and we change the oil regularly. Right now it has 203000 miles and the 6cyl DOHC Duratec engine is still going strong. Just this year the AC has gone out and the transmission is starting to not shift into overdrive. With regret, it may be time to move on.

Leather seats, sunroof, 10 CD changer, JBL sound system, engine.

The short lived DPFE and EGRs.

Hit and Miss
By Aaron

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been absolutely nothing but problems and stress. It had 131000 miles when I bought it, and now it has 134500 miles on it. The transmission is pretty much burned out, the seller told me he had it repaired 1000 miles before he put it for sale. It constantly stalls while coming to a stop. Last but certainly not least, it has a blown head gaskets, which would cost around 3000 to fix both.I'm so disappointed with Ford, how they designed the engine to let the head gaskets blown after 100000. I love the shape and look of the car, but can not stand the quality of the car. Every time I get into by breaking down Taurus and look at the steering wheel, I see the Ford logo, it makes sick

I love the way the car turns, it's very easy. It can take turns going past 35

I'm sure Ford has already addressed this problem (sarcasm) but start making more reliable cars!

reliable since 99...
By bbgunwb

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 99 when it had 38,000 miles on it. It now has 123,000 miles on it. Long time nagging problem is a squeaky internal vent fan and a poor defroster that usually refuses to turn on the compressor until the engine's warmed up, and sometimes randomly stops working. Front brakes kept warping until I replaced rotors with beefier aftermarket ones - since then, zero brake issues. 90,000 mile service was over $500 bucks. Other than that, its been solid until the last 6 months or so - the tranny's been hard shifting in 2nd gear. Only question is whether to fix it as I pass it on to the kids. 'Till then - baby it!

Power windows work after keys is off and out, until door opens. Folding back seat and long item trunk pass-through.

Better defrosting system.

168K 96 GL
By Russell Wickham

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96 Taurus GL from an individual when it had 64K miles on it, and drove it for five years and 104K miles. During that time, I've had a few problems, namely the cam position sensor, the EGR valve, two window switches, and the transmission. First the 4th gear shift solenoid failed, and the transmission shop said it needed a full rebuild because the part is very hard to get to. That cost $1500. Two weeks ago the torque converter seal fail, draining all the fluid out of the converter and leaving us stranded. Aside from that, it's been a good car.

Decent fuel economy, and fairly roomy interior.

The front seat! Not comfortable for trips more than a half hour. Rear seat head room. Steep rake on the truck lid cuts into trunk room.