Used 1996 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Best car I ever had!
By Ford Taurus

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

First I have to say this car was well taken care of by the previous owner. I've had it for 3 years now and not an ounce of trouble except a flat tire once. I feel safe behind the wheel. It's a heavy car and holds the road good. Everything in it is still working perfectly. Electric windows and everything else. I have nothing but praise for this wonderful car. I'm 80 years old and believe me I've driven almost everything during my lifetime.

Favorite Features

Electric windows and automatic locks. But really like everything else including trunk size.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like about Fords is the appearance. They should modernize the look. This model is excellent. I would not buy a cheaper model.

Constant work, take the bus 1st, I did.
By Kelly

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Was nice at 1st. Owned 3 years, only 91K miles on it, had new brakes 2x, temp thermometer gave out, gas lock which took paying 2x $1,000 for dealership to tell me I was "puttin the wrong gas in", swithed the gas like a smarty pants and STILL had the problem. Steering wheel needs to be parked straight or locks & won't start. Gear shifter gave out, all in 1 year, my car has been towed 7x, never ridden a bus in my life until I owned this car. Thought it would be reliable for college, boy was I wrong. Nothing but problems and ridin the bus constantly. Poorly built, car overheats still when idling at lights or slowing down. NEVER will buy Ford again. VERY bad car, not reliable at all.

Favorite Features

I liked the interior and roominess. Very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Focus more on the engine than the sleekness of it. The radiator is under the engine and takes 5 hrs to get to to replace. Make the car not overheat, no gas lock or lines/hoses looked at. I'll never buy Ford again because of this experience. Sad I had to pay out of pocket over $5k for only 91k miles.

Junk
By jf

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

Owning this car has been a huge disappointment. The comfortable interior is deceiving because everything else about it is junk. It pays to do your research. I didn't and I've had the same problems many other people encounter. Transmission went at 150k, air conditioning went before that, interior panels kept falling off, leaks at radiator and frost plug which is expensive to fix since it's hard to reach, coolant reservoir burst, faulty water pump, sensors what's next? I'll never buy a Ford again.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable, liked all the cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Build something durable!

96 Taurus LX
By af

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. The Duratec engine has more than enough power (the response is amazing when you put the hammer down), and the ride is very smooth, and the seats are very supportive and comfortable on a long drive. Being tall, this car fits me well. Unlike similar Japanese competitors, this car actually feels like it has substance to it. The steering is tight, the 4-wheel disc brakes are powerful and the doors close nicely. It's well built. The controls are well placed, and the standard casette non-JBL stereo is great. I don't know why people hate these cars so much. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. No problems so far...knock on wood.

Favorite Features

Stereo, comfort, power. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Make the spark plugs easier to change and add a CD player

darn, darn, darn
By Alilly

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

okay..so i purchased this car (which was my first one) last june with 80,000 miles on it...im not sure how many was on there when the whole car went up on me but it jusat did in febuary...7 months and each month after i brought it, it gave me problems from the cadilldic converter to the strut peices..u name it, it had a problem! the inside of the car is great i loved the cloth seats, it was very roomy and the design was cool but the car itself stinks really bad...ford...every ford stands up to its name FIX OR REPAIR DAILY i will never EVER purchase a ford again...such a headache...glad its gone!

Favorite Features

the interior loved the room on the inside...could fit my whole dorm room in the backseat! lol favorite thing ever was the motor going up on me lol bye bye ford

Suggested Improvements

everything electrical, or that had a motor, transmission...u name it