Used 1996 Ford Taurus GL Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Ford won't build to last
By mao caves

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Bought my '96 Taurus with 20k miles on, a week later transmission broke down and it was replaced by the dealer. The transmission performance is miserable, dealer could never properly fix it, lots of problems and trips to the dealer, got tired of it. Service engine light on all for years, nobody seens to know whats wrong with the car, at 120k miles car got no ac, no heater, transmission going bad again, engine often stalls, ... A real mess. Nowadays you can only enjoy a Ford for a couple years before becomes a nightmare,

Power windows very fast,nice looking car, roomy interior, third sit at back.

Transmission shifting should be smooth.

Great Ride
By Fred

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Original owner -- 9 years; other than the idler pulley, no problems at all. Great gas mileage for such a big car -- 26-30 on the highway. Long wheelbase gives a great ride. Handles well in snow and ice. ABS is super. Great car for long drives.

Lock/unlock switch in the cargo area.

A little shy on horsepower, but perfect for city driving.

1996 Taurus Wagon
By Ilikeaford

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I have been totally satisfied with the Taurus wagon. There is ample room for the entire family (4) to ride comfortably even on long trips. We have experienced very little down time since purchasing the car seven years ago. One thing to keep a check on is the idler pulley.At around 110,000 miles ours broke and the bolt had to be drilled out for repair. It's a great car!

Lockable storage area in rear compartment floor.Steering wheel mounted cruise control.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By #1Taurus Fan

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

My Taurus replaced a 1988 Honda Civic which was falling apart. I bought it used, and at 15,000 mi., the car was in excellent condition. I loved my Taurus since the day I got it, and it hasn't given me any major problems since. It has 57,000 mi. on it and it shifts beautifully. The only problem that I've had with the car is when a sensor and synthesizer went out in the engine. I had it fixed, and for $500, they made it run as good as new. Overall, I love the car, especially the design of it, which hides the fact that it is 8 years old. This is a high quality, low priced, fun to drive car that I would recommend to anyone.

Stylish look of the interior and exterior, power seat, 3rd row seat, storage space(much needed!), family compatibility

Gas mileage

I had an accident now its toast
By crazy1mike

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I loved my car and now it is gone this car is great for families who want a economical car thats dependable. This ford was built tough with a high saftey rateing thats what saved my life and my friends life as well. Needs a little stronger engine to climb hills and things but other wise great car.

loved the stereo and i loved the cruise control and anti lock brakes.

veriable stearing should be something that is improved for highspeed because the reaction of the driver is to over steer something much change.