1996 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
210,000 and still going
By onedaddeo on 03/02/12 14:40 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

We bought the car used, with 120,000 miles on it. I figure any car over 100,000 miles is going to need repairs eventually. A new transmission was the first major repair. then 2 alternators were replaced at $600 each. Then we found a oil seal leak was fouling the alternator. Then a couple of tranny line leaks, that I fixed. Front struts and rear springs. Then I replaces all the plastic tabs that hold the interior door panels on. Then I cleaned the air intake with brake cleaner. That was over 50,000 miles ago. Since then, no problems. the duratech engine keeps running, the ride is comfortable, and everything works at sub zero temps unlike my 2007 Honda. it was still cheaper than a car payment

Junk
By jf on 08/02/09 22:30 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Owning this car has been a huge disappointment. The comfortable interior is deceiving because everything else about it is junk. It pays to do your research. I didn't and I've had the same problems many other people encounter. Transmission went at 150k, air conditioning went before that, interior panels kept falling off, leaks at radiator and frost plug which is expensive to fix since it's hard to reach, coolant reservoir burst, faulty water pump, sensors what's next? I'll never buy a Ford again.

purrs like a kitten
By strungkitten on 04/03/06 00:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

My last car was an Escort and I really loved it. That is, until I started driving my Taurus. The vision is great. The most comfortable seats yet. Even being 10 years old it looks stylish. I also got a very good buy. I am a very pleased Taurus driver.

Taurus Wagon
By jim thomas on 09/19/05 19:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Bought the car use with 40,000 miles. Now, it is over 100,000 ... other than tires and brakes, not a single repair bill. I never change the oil, or check any fluids. Plus, I only paid 4K.

never again!
By Lucia on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Door handles/panels/cup holder have been reattached several times. Seatbelts get stuck so they can't be pulled out or remain pulled out and won't go back. All inside plastic comes away from attachment anchors. Cd player- replaced. Shifting from park to drive now difficult. Sun roof has gotten stuck open, had automatic door locks fixed, can not always use remote entry, doors no longer lock when car is in drive. All plastic covers for seat bolts have broken off. Makes SLOPPY turns. Handles horribly in bad whether. Dented door closing it & got a dent from a carwash! Both side mirrors broke when knocked into.