1996 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
210,000 and still going
By onedaddeo on 03/02/12 14:40 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

We bought the car used, with 120,000 miles on it. I figure any car over 100,000 miles is going to need repairs eventually. A new transmission was the first major repair. then 2 alternators were replaced at $600 each. Then we found a oil seal leak was fouling the alternator. Then a couple of tranny line leaks, that I fixed. Front struts and rear springs. Then I replaces all the plastic tabs that hold the interior door panels on. Then I cleaned the air intake with brake cleaner. That was over 50,000 miles ago. Since then, no problems. the duratech engine keeps running, the ride is comfortable, and everything works at sub zero temps unlike my 2007 Honda. it was still cheaper than a car payment

Junk
By jf on 08/02/09 22:30 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Owning this car has been a huge disappointment. The comfortable interior is deceiving because everything else about it is junk. It pays to do your research. I didn't and I've had the same problems many other people encounter. Transmission went at 150k, air conditioning went before that, interior panels kept falling off, leaks at radiator and frost plug which is expensive to fix since it's hard to reach, coolant reservoir burst, faulty water pump, sensors what's next? I'll never buy a Ford again.

Ford won't build to last
By mao caves on 09/10/08 12:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Bought my '96 Taurus with 20k miles on, a week later transmission broke down and it was replaced by the dealer. The transmission performance is miserable, dealer could never properly fix it, lots of problems and trips to the dealer, got tired of it. Service engine light on all for years, nobody seens to know whats wrong with the car, at 120k miles car got no ac, no heater, transmission going bad again, engine often stalls, ... A real mess. Nowadays you can only enjoy a Ford for a couple years before becomes a nightmare,

purrs like a kitten
By strungkitten on 04/03/06 00:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

My last car was an Escort and I really loved it. That is, until I started driving my Taurus. The vision is great. The most comfortable seats yet. Even being 10 years old it looks stylish. I also got a very good buy. I am a very pleased Taurus driver.

Taurus Wagon
By jim thomas on 09/19/05 19:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Bought the car use with 40,000 miles. Now, it is over 100,000 ... other than tires and brakes, not a single repair bill. I never change the oil, or check any fluids. Plus, I only paid 4K.

Great Ride
By Fred on 07/06/05 23:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Original owner -- 9 years; other than the idler pulley, no problems at all. Great gas mileage for such a big car -- 26-30 on the highway. Long wheelbase gives a great ride. Handles well in snow and ice. ABS is super. Great car for long drives.

1996 Taurus Wagon
By Ilikeaford on 05/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I have been totally satisfied with the Taurus wagon. There is ample room for the entire family (4) to ride comfortably even on long trips. We have experienced very little down time since purchasing the car seven years ago. One thing to keep a check on is the idler pulley.At around 110,000 miles ours broke and the bolt had to be drilled out for repair. It's a great car!

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By #1Taurus Fan on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

My Taurus replaced a 1988 Honda Civic which was falling apart. I bought it used, and at 15,000 mi., the car was in excellent condition. I loved my Taurus since the day I got it, and it hasn't given me any major problems since. It has 57,000 mi. on it and it shifts beautifully. The only problem that I've had with the car is when a sensor and synthesizer went out in the engine. I had it fixed, and for $500, they made it run as good as new. Overall, I love the car, especially the design of it, which hides the fact that it is 8 years old. This is a high quality, low priced, fun to drive car that I would recommend to anyone.

I had an accident now its toast
By crazy1mike on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

I loved my car and now it is gone this car is great for families who want a economical car thats dependable. This ford was built tough with a high saftey rateing thats what saved my life and my friends life as well. Needs a little stronger engine to climb hills and things but other wise great car.

Nice Car
By stud1234 on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 4dr Wagon

Consistent performance. Tight car, handle, drive, feel, etc.