1996 Ford Taurus SHO - Consumer Reviews

SHO 3.4L V8 4-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )
162,000 mile SHO and going strong!
By Negative/cutter on 07/07/08 13:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

My SHO is amazing! It is still comfortable, fast and handles great! 12 years later! It is going to be hard to part with this car!

Fo SHO
By G, Labriola on 11/10/06 12:18 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I know all Fords are not created equally but my SHO had 7500 miles on it when I bought it from the dealer and it currently has 74,000 on it. My only real problem was the cam shaft but nothing else other than normal maintenance. It is one of the best all round cars I've ever owned. Excellent comfort, outstanding performance, superb handling (NO oversteer!) and all the creature comfort features you could ask for. No tranny problems for me.

High-Maintenance Baby
By wylieSteve on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I really like the comfort, room, ride and performance of this car. It has enough room to easily seat 5, has good acceleration, handling, braking and top speed. Camshaft problem was a $700 pain to get welded, and the car is on the third transmission.

POS Car.....I got a pos car!
By JCU on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

This vehicle was purchased with 22K miles on the ticker. It wasn't long before I knew the relability of Ford products are poor. To make a long story short, in 78K miles of driving, it needed a new tranny ($2500) and a replacement engine ($3500). By the way, the engine failed due to a known design flaw on the camshaft sprocket which Ford wouldn't admit to. Now at 125K miles, only 50K since the last tranny, it needs replacing yet again. This car was never beat on or abused. It is a Taurus for gods sake. This car has never treated me good and quite honestly, I will never purchase another Ford product.

96 SHO
By SHO on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I just LOVE this car! It is fun to drive and is a big transition from the standard 4 cylinder sedan. It also handles the road very well.

Taurus SHO
By Geoffrey Allen on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

This is a great car if you're looking for more bang for your buck. The 240 horsepower engine really gets you where you're going.

The American BMW
By interplexor on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

If BMW was based in the US, this would be their posterchild. A supple and lush small block 3.4 liter V8 powerplant coaxes the car to light speed in seconds. Freeway merges are simple. Point for a hole, stab the gas- and you're there. The car handles with composure & poise, the tires barely want to let loose. The gentle burble of the engine at cruising speed (80+ MPH) can put your children to sleep, and by the same token, can wake the dead when pushed hard. The glorious sound that engine makes at it's 6,200 RPM redline is what dreams are made of. A simple, and comfortable interior finishes it off.

Rocket Fuel
By BallBreaker on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased the SHO model. The car sat around for a while without being driven so The computer was the first to go. Then the master cylinder. However I love this car. I named her "ROCKET FUEL" because she so fast. She Handles great and is real comfortable. Only thing is that she drinks gas like a thirsty child in the summer. I say get one if you can afford to pay for the fuel. Fords come as a case by case basis. I think some people are lucky and some aren't. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones.