Used 1996 Ford Taurus SHO Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

SHO 3.4L V8 4-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )

162,000 mile SHO and going strong!
By Negative/cutter

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

My SHO is amazing! It is still comfortable, fast and handles great! 12 years later! It is going to be hard to part with this car!

Favorite Features

Engine and suspension are fantastic! A rare and unusual treat. Open up the engine and it makes this car a head turner!

Suggested Improvements

Transmission should have been a manual, but the auto is okay. Camshaft issue.

Fo SHO
By G, Labriola

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I know all Fords are not created equally but my SHO had 7500 miles on it when I bought it from the dealer and it currently has 74,000 on it. My only real problem was the cam shaft but nothing else other than normal maintenance. It is one of the best all round cars I've ever owned. Excellent comfort, outstanding performance, superb handling (NO oversteer!) and all the creature comfort features you could ask for. No tranny problems for me.

Favorite Features

The SHO has great handling especially when pushed hard in turns. The vehicle loves highway driving. You can feel the effect of the aerodynamics at 80 mph.

Suggested Improvements

There should have been a recall on the overhead cam problems. Other than that if Ford could improve on consistent quality & gas mileage it could be the best car they ever produced.

High-Maintenance Baby
By wylieSteve

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I really like the comfort, room, ride and performance of this car. It has enough room to easily seat 5, has good acceleration, handling, braking and top speed. Camshaft problem was a $700 pain to get welded, and the car is on the third transmission.

Favorite Features

Smooth Ride

Suggested Improvements

Ford really should have admitted that there is a problem with these camshafts and brought them in for welding under recall or TSB.

POS Car.....I got a pos car!
By JCU

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

This vehicle was purchased with 22K miles on the ticker. It wasn't long before I knew the relability of Ford products are poor. To make a long story short, in 78K miles of driving, it needed a new tranny ($2500) and a replacement engine ($3500). By the way, the engine failed due to a known design flaw on the camshaft sprocket which Ford wouldn't admit to. Now at 125K miles, only 50K since the last tranny, it needs replacing yet again. This car was never beat on or abused. It is a Taurus for gods sake. This car has never treated me good and quite honestly, I will never purchase another Ford product.

Favorite Features

I have tried long and hard to find a favorite feature but quite honestly, there is none.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to take the time and efort to design a car that will last. They backed up this 3.4L DOHC 8cyl with a poor tranny. Heck, every auto tranny behind the SHO's were junk. It seems as if Ford always comes up short in their attempts for a good car.

96 SHO
By SHO

1996 Ford Taurus SHO SHO 4dr Sedan

I just LOVE this car! It is fun to drive and is a big transition from the standard 4 cylinder sedan. It also handles the road very well.

Favorite Features

3.4L V8, Excellent stereo, spacey and nice interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better Cam sprockets! No failure for me because of a quick, about 1 hour, spot welding job.