1996 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
It Won't Die!
By xc6793 on 01/11/13 09:05 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car was originally purchased by my dad in teh fall of 1996 (I was only in middle school, but I remember going with him to buy it). Since then, the car has been driven by my mom, my sister (took a lot of abuse, as she learned to drive in it), and finally me. I use it primarily as my second car, particularly to transport my big dogs back and forth to the park (hard to lift them into my suv). It has 217,000 miles and is still going on the original engine and transmission. Sure, it's definitely showing its age, but it amazes me how well this thing still drives. Also, I'm amazed at how many of these things (96-97 model years) I still see driving around.

I loved this car.
By jimandsil on 07/25/11 17:46 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Taurus in 2003 with 65 K on it. I paid $3500 for it. I had it up to 200K and it was still running great. Replaced the normal stuff like brakes, a radiator, oil sending unit. Had to replace valve cover gaskets but that is about it other than standard maintenance for 8 years. I got rear ended and because of the age it was totaled. Sorry to see it go. On average I put about $300 to $500 into it. I loved this car even though the seats hurt my back but I cut out a piece of foam for back support. It's not stylish or cool but what was really cool was the total cost of ownership which is the most important to me. I just bought a 2003 Taurus SES. I hope it's half as good as my 96.

My first car
By Christian on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love my 1996 Ford Taurus GL. I bought it with 96,825 miles on it and now it has 114,000 miles on it the only problems with it i have had are the normal Taurus problems as in I had to put new brakes and brake lines on it which was about time because they where the original 1996 brake lines when they went. It drives like a dream and still has it's get up and go.

darn, darn, darn
By Alilly on 03/12/09 18:50 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

okay..so i purchased this car (which was my first one) last june with 80,000 miles on it...im not sure how many was on there when the whole car went up on me but it jusat did in febuary...7 months and each month after i brought it, it gave me problems from the cadilldic converter to the strut peices..u name it, it had a problem! the inside of the car is great i loved the cloth seats, it was very roomy and the design was cool but the car itself stinks really bad...ford...every ford stands up to its name FIX OR REPAIR DAILY i will never EVER purchase a ford again...such a headache...glad its gone!

185K and still running
By aaron on 01/14/09 07:35 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The only thing other than brakes and tires all around the things I have had to change are, powersteering pump went after 134k miles,the fuel tank,and the waterpump now with all the bugs worked out it runs awesome for a car built 14 years ago. Would definitely recomend and will be buying a newer one, probably a Mercury Sable though they are a little bit nicer.

'96 Taurus Duratec
By Glen on 10/22/08 09:15 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Got our '96 Taurus in '98 with 35000 miles. Since then I've replaced the turn indicator switch, DPFE, EGR, and some other minor parts. This car has been a delight to own and drive. This is our family car and we change the oil regularly. Right now it has 203000 miles and the 6cyl DOHC Duratec engine is still going strong. Just this year the AC has gone out and the transmission is starting to not shift into overdrive. With regret, it may be time to move on.

Hit and Miss
By Aaron on 09/03/08 12:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been absolutely nothing but problems and stress. It had 131000 miles when I bought it, and now it has 134500 miles on it. The transmission is pretty much burned out, the seller told me he had it repaired 1000 miles before he put it for sale. It constantly stalls while coming to a stop. Last but certainly not least, it has a blown head gaskets, which would cost around 3000 to fix both.I'm so disappointed with Ford, how they designed the engine to let the head gaskets blown after 100000. I love the shape and look of the car, but can not stand the quality of the car. Every time I get into by breaking down Taurus and look at the steering wheel, I see the Ford logo, it makes sick

reliable since 99...
By bbgunwb on 10/03/06 23:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 99 when it had 38,000 miles on it. It now has 123,000 miles on it. Long time nagging problem is a squeaky internal vent fan and a poor defroster that usually refuses to turn on the compressor until the engine's warmed up, and sometimes randomly stops working. Front brakes kept warping until I replaced rotors with beefier aftermarket ones - since then, zero brake issues. 90,000 mile service was over $500 bucks. Other than that, its been solid until the last 6 months or so - the tranny's been hard shifting in 2nd gear. Only question is whether to fix it as I pass it on to the kids. 'Till then - baby it!

168K 96 GL
By Russell Wickham on 07/22/06 04:21 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96 Taurus GL from an individual when it had 64K miles on it, and drove it for five years and 104K miles. During that time, I've had a few problems, namely the cam position sensor, the EGR valve, two window switches, and the transmission. First the 4th gear shift solenoid failed, and the transmission shop said it needed a full rebuild because the part is very hard to get to. That cost $1500. Two weeks ago the torque converter seal fail, draining all the fluid out of the converter and leaving us stranded. Aside from that, it's been a good car.

Long-term Taurus
By Snake Charmer on 03/06/06 13:56 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Car was issued to me as a company car in 1995. Aside from the catfish front end, it looked pretty good. The interior was comfortable, and everything was a bit better than expected. My ratings are based on this being a Taurus, not my Corvette. The sample defects were fixed fast (wind noise, soft shifts), and the car has been safe and dependable for 120k miles so far. Total of about $1200 in unscheduled maintenance, far better than my Hondas or Mazdas. In fact, overheating in the last Honda cost that much, and never was fixed. Good, cheap transport for a long time. Teenager drives it now, and doesn't hate it (he'd rather drive the Vette).